Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

No. Explain please.

It's a murder mystery game show. The drama is presented in segments and the "experts" weigh in at different points with their opinions, until all is revealed at the end. There's numerous crimes commited against fashion as well.

I remember watching it as a kid with my mum back in the 70s. Might have been on Friday nights after The Two Ronnies on the ABC, though I can't swear to that.

There are some eps on YT (pre-Pertwee) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqsZdh6p9GP1mSoj20qVhNWhSid2TfCjE

It's a murder mystery game show. The drama is presented in segments and the "experts" weigh in at different points with their opinions, until all is revealed at the end. There's numerous crimes commited against fashion as well.

I remember watching it as a kid with my mum back in the 70s. Might have been on Friday nights after The Two Ronnies on the ABC, though I can't swear to that.

There are some eps on YT (pre-Pertwee) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqsZdh6p9GP1mSoj20qVhNWhSid2TfCjE

Kind of like slueth 101?

One which may be of interest to long term BBUK fans, and a format I suspect will find it's way to Australia for at least one series, is This Time Next Year, hosted by Davina McCall. It launched in the UK tonight and the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

The title sums up the concept really - people come on the show and pledge to achieve something by "This Time Next Year", such as losing weight, finding love, overcoming a life changing injury etc. The twist is though that viewers don't have to wait a year, thanks to the magic of time travel (of course Queen Davina can time travel!) viewers find out the results in an instant.

It's the sort of show which usually performs well in the UK as we've seen with the recent revival of Surprise Surprise and also Davina's own Long Lost Family. However I don't think they tend to do too well in Australia, but as it's a format which is going around I suspect it'll be picked up, get a series and then get dropped. Although knowing the patience of the Australian networks it'll probably be called "This Time Next Week".

Reactions: kxk
@Brekkie I reckon that show is already on the schedule for next year. I saw some ads looking for participants in a show with that concept - and even the name is familiar. This was two or three months ago and I'm not sure but I'm thinking Channel Ten.

Looks like it's Channel Nine and hosted by Karl Stefanovic, who from what little I know of him seems about the most inappropriate choice for the job they could have picked. Although my knowledge of Channel 9 presented is somewhat limited it would probably have suited Sonia Kruger well actually.

Ten's 2017 line up:

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...ng-but-which-shows-arent-20161103-gsh9iy.html

TBL returns, two more Chrissie Swan shows axed. That's about it.

Chrissie is great, but those shows deserved to be axed, and Long Lost Family. I forgot about Can Of Worms, that deserved to go too. So does The Biggest Loser, though. And Shark Tank/Body Hack/Family Feud/Big Bash League (whatever that is).

Glad Survivor and I'm A Celebrity are both returning, and Masterchef, The Wrong Girl and Gogglebox.

I couldn't care less if Big Brother never returns,

Chrissie is great, but those shows deserved to be axed, and Long Lost Family. I forgot about Can Of Worms, that deserved to go too. So does The Biggest Loser, though. And Shark Tank/Body Hack/Family Feud/Big Bash League (whatever that is).

Glad Survivor and I'm A Celebrity are both returning, and Masterchef, The Wrong Girl and Gogglebox.

I couldn't care less if Big Brother never returns,

:eek: Sacrilege!

Something new tonight,

Jamaica Inn (2016)

The new hauntingly powerful BBC adaptation of Daphne du Maurier�s gothic romance novel JAMAICA INN starring Jessica Brown Findlay and Matthew McNulty. From the BAFTA winning director, Phillipa Lowthorpe (Call The Midwife) and written by Golden Globe nominated Emma Frost (The White Queen, Shameless) and by the Emmy and BAFTA winning producer David M Thompson, comes this exhilarating dramatic new adaptation of Daphne Du Maurier�s iconic book, JAMAICA INN. Set in 1820 against the forbidding backdrop of windswept Cornish moors, the story follows the journey of young and spirited Mary (Brown Findlay) who is forced to live with her Aunt Patience (Joanne Whalley) after the death of her mother. Mary arrives at the isolated Jamaica Inn to discover her Aunt is a shell of the carefree woman she remembers from her childhood, and instead finds a drudge who is firmly under the spell of her domineering husband Joss (Sean Harris).

Series, 2016, Drama

A series most famous for viewers not being able to understand a word of it. I wonder if the BBC made changes to the audio for international broadcast.

Talking of the BBC Planet Earth II launched tonight, ten years after the first landmark documentary. Brilliant stuff as you'd expect from Attenborough and I imagine it's on your way sooner rather than later.

Did you know they have made a Dad's Army movie ?
Recently, and should be out soon

Yeah I did. Apparently it did not get very good reviews.

I am reading a book about Dad's Army. It is quite interesting. The creators based the characters on the personalities of the actors themselves.

That Captain Mainwaring and the actor who played him were both very pompous and conservative.

Back