Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

Flipping Out S.9

just binge-watched the last 2 episodes of "flipping out" s.9
cant wait for s.10 to see how they cope with the baby girl coming!
love this show so much.
very explosive season.. it always is though.
score: 5/5

Yôu will love Might Boosh @reepbot - seek it out, you must it is fantastical & totally crazy, I am positive from the way you write and post you will LOVE it.
There is a talking moon

upload_2016-9-30_21-24-43-jpeg.52029

And so much fun fantasy stuff
you__ve_got_a_mighty_boosh____by_lozzeh13.jpg
upload_2016-9-30_21-24-43.jpeg upload_2016-9-30_21-24-43.jpeg

And Naboo
images

mighty_boosh-1125224.jpg

The Secret Daughter

'Flame Trees'

Seven, 9:00pm, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 60 minutes

NEW SHOW

A chance meeting in a country pub, between a part-time singer and a cashed-up city slicker, becomes the first day of the rest of the singer's life.

Jessica Mauboy

Series, Australia, English, Drama, Mini Series

GOOD STUFF COMING VERY SOON TO ABC

Rosehaven
Wednesday 12 October at 9:00pm (8×30’)
Rural Tasmania provides the spectacular backdrop for Rosehaven, a new comedy series created by, and starring, two of Australia’s most loved comic talents: Luke McGregor (Luke Warm Sex, Utopia) and Celia Pacquola (Utopia, The Beautiful Lie). Daniel McCallum (Luke) returns to his rural Tasmanian hometown, Rosehaven, to help his formidable mother in her real estate business. He gets a surprise when his best (city) friend Emma (Celia) turns up on the doorstep, on the run from a marriage that didn’t last the honeymoon.
2016-08-31_1733.jpg

I love the 2 leads, looks promising.

Hard Quiz

Wednesday 19 October at 8:00pm (10×30’)
For two years, The Weekly’s Tom Gleeson has been putting hard questions to the big names in his regular segment, Hard Chat. Now he puts Australia’s armchair experts to the test in his new show Hard Quiz. A serious quiz show. And seriously hilarious.

2016-08-31_1737.jpg

And LOVE Tom, his own show, yeah

Streets of Your Town

Tuesday 8 November at 8.30pm (2×60’)
A look at the aesthetics of our suburbs. Tim Ross – comedian, broadcaster and aficionado of the Modernist era – is tour guide for this very personal journey exploring how and why our suburbs look the way they do. Travelling the country gaining unprecedented access to some of our most epic homes, meeting their owners, peeling back their history and revelling in their beauty Tim poses the question: from Modernism to McMansionism – how did we get here?

Please Like Me
Series 4 premieres on Wednesday 9 November at 9.30pm
(6×30’)
After its recent launch in the UK, where it’s been hailed as “the best original Australian TV comedy ever”, “like Girls directed by Wes Anderson” and “low-key, kooky-cool and warm-hearted”, Please Like Me returns for a fourth season, as Josh and his friends hurtle towards the end of their twenties and try to convince themselves that everything is gonna be OK.

HBOs Westworld made its debut Sunday evening.

This is HBOs answer to its impending loss of Game of Thrones. I watched the first episode and its excellent. Apparently they have plans for this to go on for 5 seasons. Great musical score to go along with the plot line of robots in a western themed amusement park running amok and turning on the guests and their creators.

The Secret Daughter

'Flame Trees'

Seven, 9:00pm, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 60 minutes

NEW SHOW

A chance meeting in a country pub, between a part-time singer and a cashed-up city slicker, becomes the first day of the rest of the singer's life.

Jessica Mauboy

Series, Australia, English, Drama, Mini Series

GOOD STUFF COMING VERY SOON TO ABC

Rosehaven
Wednesday 12 October at 9:00pm (8×30’)
Rural Tasmania provides the spectacular backdrop for Rosehaven, a new comedy series created by, and starring, two of Australia’s most loved comic talents: Luke McGregor (Luke Warm Sex, Utopia) and Celia Pacquola (Utopia, The Beautiful Lie). Daniel McCallum (Luke) returns to his rural Tasmanian hometown, Rosehaven, to help his formidable mother in her real estate business. He gets a surprise when his best (city) friend Emma (Celia) turns up on the doorstep, on the run from a marriage that didn’t last the honeymoon.
2016-08-31_1733.jpg

I love the 2 leads, looks promising.

Hard Quiz

Wednesday 19 October at 8:00pm (10×30’)
For two years, The Weekly’s Tom Gleeson has been putting hard questions to the big names in his regular segment, Hard Chat. Now he puts Australia’s armchair experts to the test in his new show Hard Quiz. A serious quiz show. And seriously hilarious.

2016-08-31_1737.jpg

And LOVE Tom, his own show, yeah

Streets of Your Town

Tuesday 8 November at 8.30pm (2×60’)
A look at the aesthetics of our suburbs. Tim Ross – comedian, broadcaster and aficionado of the Modernist era – is tour guide for this very personal journey exploring how and why our suburbs look the way they do. Travelling the country gaining unprecedented access to some of our most epic homes, meeting their owners, peeling back their history and revelling in their beauty Tim poses the question: from Modernism to McMansionism – how did we get here?

Please Like Me
Series 4 premieres on Wednesday 9 November at 9.30pm
(6×30’)
After its recent launch in the UK, where it’s been hailed as “the best original Australian TV comedy ever”, “like Girls directed by Wes Anderson” and “low-key, kooky-cool and warm-hearted”, Please Like Me returns for a fourth season, as Josh and his friends hurtle towards the end of their twenties and try to convince themselves that everything is gonna be OK.

I think that Rosehaven is the second show to come out of Tasmania this year. I can't remember the last time that so many shows were set there.

Reactions: kxk
This show is really good, except miss this ep if like me you hate Kathy, however even with her it might be OK.
It is usually on late at night/early am.
It is casual chat with comics in a small smokey room with more comics playing audience, but they butt in plenty.
When the guests are GOOD the show is HOT.

The Green Room With Paul Provenza

'Guests - Franklyn Ajaye, Dana Gould, Kathy Griffin, Greg Proops'

SBS 2, 8:00pm, Wed, 5 Oct 2016, 35 minutes

REPEAT

Comedian and director of The Aristocrats, Paul Provenza invites some of the biggest names in stand-up to sit down and try to beat each other to the punch line. This episode, host Provenza welcomes guest panelists Kathy Griffin, Dana Gould, Franklyn Ajaye and Greg Proops.

Oh wow, i wish this had been on earlier this year

You Can't Ask That

'Terminally Ill'

ABC, 9:05pm, Wed, 5 Oct 2016, 30 minutes

Insightful, moving and unpredictable, this episode sets the record straight about what it's really like to live with a terminal illness. #YouCantAskThat (Final)

This show is really good, except miss this ep if like me you hate Kathy, however even with her it might be OK.
It is usually on late at night/early am.
It is casual chat with comics in a small smokey room with more comics playing audience, but they butt in plenty.
When the guests are GOOD the show is HOT.

The Green Room With Paul Provenza

'Guests - Franklyn Ajaye, Dana Gould, Kathy Griffin, Greg Proops'

SBS 2, 8:00pm, Wed, 5 Oct 2016, 35 minutes

REPEAT

Comedian and director of The Aristocrats, Paul Provenza invites some of the biggest names in stand-up to sit down and try to beat each other to the punch line. This episode, host Provenza welcomes guest panelists Kathy Griffin, Dana Gould, Franklyn Ajaye and Greg Proops.

That looks quite interesting. It must be so hard to be professionally funny. I mean I know there are people in day to day life who come up with the one liner on the spur of the moment. But to craft something really hilarious that people will still be laughing about days later takes skill. I was watching this youtube video. It had Conan O'Brien talking to his former workmates from The Simpsons. It was like a round table discussion. They talked about many things.

Anyway one of the things they talked about was the writing process. So many people would come up to them and say how fun it must have been. Working on that show. But it wasn't fun. It was very hard. And it wasn't that loud or noisy either. For they would spend hours trying to come up with the perfect line for Marge.

I'm always amazed at the sheer number of panel shows comedy wise they have in the UK. You could probably dedicate a channel to it. I don't mind watching a bit of it now and then. Plus there can be some really clever shows sometimes. However I often find that they go for the cheap joke. Plus I often find about eighty percent of the comedians on there to be awful.

Playing a musical instrument whilst singing a silly song is not funny.

I'm always amazed at the sheer number of panel shows comedy wise they have in the UK. You could probably dedicate a channel to it. I don't mind watching a bit of it now and then. Plus there can be some really clever shows sometimes. However I often find that they go for the cheap joke. Plus I often find about eighty percent of the comedians on there to be awful.

Playing a musical instrument whilst singing a silly song is not funny.
They're cheap I guess but as a UK'er I agree - they're everywhere and there are very few I watch regularly, although catching the odd one here and there is usually a passable way to spend half an hour. And in Dave there almost is a channel devoted to them.

Poms & Aussies = do panel shows, HYBPA, Gruen, Project. Past Panel etc.

USA = does talks shows instead. Their panels tend to be stupid, like The Talk, or The View,. wanky stuff.

And i love how Poms have taken the USA talk show format, & shaken, stirred and made gay and heaps more fun.
And the USA version seems to have descended into frat boy drinking games.

Poms & Aussies = do panel shows, HYBPA, Gruen, Project. Past Panel etc.

USA = does talks shows instead. Their panels tend to be stupid, like The Talk, or The View,. wanky stuff.

And i love how Poms have taken the USA talk show format, & shaken, stirred and made gay and heaps more fun.
And the USA version seems to have descended into frat boy drinking games.

Gruen is a very informative show. Learnt so much stuff.

The Tassie show starts tonight

Rosehaven

'Series 1: Episode 1'

ABC, 9:00pm, Wed, 12 Oct 2016, 30 minutes

NEW SHOW

Daniel returns to his rural Tasmanian hometown to help his mother with her real estate business. To his surprise, his best friend Emma turns up on his doorstep on the run from her marriage.

Series, Australia, English, Comedy

Do you guys get The Fall? Half way through series 3 now on UK TV and it's easily the best series so far, even though in theory they should have just left it be at the end of the second series.

So much great drama around at the moment - I'd recommend National Treasure if it reaches your screens too. It's a timely drama about a comedian accused of historic sexual crimes and one of the most watchable things I've seen in ages, mainly thanks to the excellent Robbie Coltrane and Julie Walters.

Do you guys get The Fall? Half way through series 3 now on UK TV and it's easily the best series so far, even though in theory they should have just left it be at the end of the second series.

So much great drama around at the moment - I'd recommend National Treasure if it reaches your screens too. It's a timely drama about a comedian accused of historic sexual crimes and one of the most watchable things I've seen in ages, mainly thanks to the excellent Robbie Coltrane and Julie Walters.

The Fall starts here October 20. National Treasure just started here yesterday.

I havent dug back through all the pages in here but Black Mirror had 6 excellent episodes already and has been picked up by Netflix for 6 more starting October 21. Dark satires on modern technology from reknowned Clive Brooker, all stand alone episodes on different themes. This particular one 15 Million Merit Points, deals with a futuristic world in which energy is generated by riding exercise cycles, and spend their points on their "doubles", fat people are mocked and made to dress in yellow suits...its a boring existence and the only way out of it is to appear and be rewarded by an American Idol like talent show.

These are currently all available on Youtube, this is one of the episodes ...unfortunately this one has Spanish Subtitles. This particular one stars Jessica Brown Findlay, Lady Sybil from Downton Abbey. Others have many of your favorite Game of Thrones characters in them.

Back