Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

Anyone watch Black Comedy on ABC? I only just discovered it.

WHAT'S THIS THEN SLUT!?

You're like the first person I've ever found who's watched it. It's hilariously refreshing. My favourite all time skit has to be indigenous GPS.

Have you ever watched 8MMM? I found that pretty good too. No idea if they're ever going to make a season two of it though.

The Good Life

Whose fleas are these? Ep 3.5.

From a library dvd.

A wonderfully wacky episode when Tom and Barbra try to find out the source of a sudden flea infenstation. Leadbetters are involved as well. Lots of nice one liners and all that. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

7 out of 10 Tina Arenas.

Law and Order

Happily Ever After. Season 1 Episode 5.

Greevy and Logan investigate the murder of his man and the shooting of his wife. At first they think it was a local crack user and thief. Then when they dig deeper they discover the offender might be closer to home. This episode of Law and Order doesn't really tackle any big issues like other moments in season 1. Instead it is just some real intruiging mystery helped along by some great police and lawyer work. Also loved seeing the wife go from hurt victim to cold hearted monster just because of the gradual character change.

7 out of 10 Tina Arenas.

Review: Joanna Lumley's Japan

Absolutely fabulous. It really is. And it is fantastic, gorgeous, mesmerizing,
wonderful and all the other superlatives that decorate Lumley's every sentence
in her aloof actors accent.
Luckily for her and for the viewers, she also maintains (albeit sometimes forcefully),
a "down-to-earth" persona on this Japan discovery voyage: Here she is showing off
place stamps. or sticking heat packs. she even drives herself through snowy roads.
You know, like regular tourists would do. as if a crew of PA's isnt following
in the second car, checking arrangements and carrying suitcases of wardrobe.
And at times she plays at being David Attenborough, narrating the wildlife.
But Lumley's multiple-characters also make this travelogue genre rather enjoyable.
With her sharp looks of excitement, bewilderment and horror, fur hats,
bold lipstick and slightly mindful "ab-fab"-esque observations, viewers can
overlook the bullet train of "oh wow's" she utters at seemingly everything.
score: 4/5

Last edited:
Review: Joanna Lumley's Japan

Absolutely fabulous. It really is. And it is fantastic, gorgeous, mesmerizing,
wonderful and all the other superlatives that decorate Lumley's every sentence
in her aloof actors accent.
Luckily for her and for the viewers, she also maintains (albeit sometimes forcefully),
a "down-to-earth" persona on this Japan discovery voyage: Here she is showing off
place stamps. or sticking heat packs. she even drives herself through snowy roads.
You know, like regular tourists would do. as if a crew of PA's isnt following
in the second car, checking arrangements and carrying suitcases of wardrobe.
And at times she plays at being David Attenborough, narrating the wildlife.
But Lumley's multiple-characters also make this travelogue genre rather enjoyable.
With her sharp looks of excitement, bewilderment and horror, fur hats,
bold lipstick and slightly mindful "ab-fab"-esque observations, viewers can
overlook the bullet train of "oh wow's" she utters at seemingly everything.
score: 4/5

British comedians doing travel documentaries seem to have become its own genre.

Another new show on SBS tonight looks interesting -

Raised by Wolves

2016-09-12_0047.jpg

UK comedy Raised by Wolves debuts on SBS 2 Tuesday night.

The cult series, based on the Wolverhampton childhoods of Caitlin Moran and Caroline Moran, follows six socially-isolated, home-schooled siblings and their acerbic, highly capable mother Della Garry.

SBS will air both first and second seasons, totalling 12 episodes, back to back, beginning with a double episode.

This premiered in the UK in March 2015.

Eldest sibling Germaine, 16, is idiosyncratic, distressingly overshares and is deludedly in love with local yob, Lee. Aretha, 15, an introverted, sarcastic George Orwell admirer, just wants to be left alone to endure her adolescence. Thirteen-year-old Yoko is a dreamy aspiring paleontologist with a heavy dose of ‘the Force’. Along with ‘the babbies’, Wyatt, Mariah and toddler Cher, the family also share their small council house with Della’s feckless, acid casualty dad, Grampy: a frequent refugee from his ongoing bad romance with ‘Shit Nan’.

In her frenzied pursuit of Lee, Germaine drags her family reluctantly out into the world, going underage clubbing, dabbling in voyeurism, taking the law into their own hands and dealing with major life milestones in their characteristic highly inappropriate way.

Episode One: Hand Jam
Della takes the kids out foraging. Yoko has a truly terrible day. Aretha has an experience she’ll never forget and Germaine finds a borderline-illegal way to get closer to Lee.

Episode Two: Yoko’s Got Talent
Germaine’s underwear situation prompts emergency intervention from Della.

Tuesday, 13 September at 9.25pm on SBS 2.

Fiction based on...

"...based on the Wolverhampton childhoods of Caitlin Moran and Caroline Moran,"

Set on a Wolverhampton council estate, Raised By Wolves is modern day reimagining of us, when we were growing up – loads of kids, no money, home-schooled, and educating ourselves on mankind's great bounty of books, films, TV and pop music. Do you remember when people used to go on about the notion of a progressive working class? When admitting you were on benefits didn't immediately mean that you were morally incontinent scrounger scum? Yeah, neither could we. It's been ages. Telly never has any smart, amusing intellectuals living on a council estate. That's why we wrote the sitcom. Well, that and the chance to make a load of jokes about vaginas.

Catherine Elizabeth "Caitlin" Moran (born 5 April 1975) is an English journalist, author, and broadcaster[1] at The Times, where she writes three columns a week: one for the Saturday Magazine, a TV review column, and the satirical Friday column "Celebrity Watch". Moran is British Press Awards (BPA) Columnist of the Year for 2010, and both BPA Critic of the Year 2011 and Interviewer of the Year 2011.[2] In 2012, she was named Columnist of the Year by the London Press Club,[3] and Culture Commentator at the Comment Awards in 2013.[4]

Gabriel's Fire- Pilot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel's_Fire

Loved it. James Earl Jones was outstanding (He actually won an Emmy for this episode), plus he was well supported by the lawyer. I really want to see more of this show. The theme of the show really fits into that redmption kind of thing i am interested in, like beyond me writing silly stories that whole theme in this tv show i am interested in writing.

Did anyone else watch the Jonbenet documentary? I have gotten deep in Wikipedia and YouTube wormholes over that story and I love a good conspiracy theory and also fancy myself as an armchair detective of sorts but holy moly what a one sided angle.

The very conclusive evidence they provided included ascertaining it was most definitely a woman that wrote the note because it said "when you come home" (?) however much less subjective things like DNA were quickly dismissed with a flimsy explanation and never addressed again.

and then I remembered this was all about the nurder of a 6 year old girl and I decided it was much too sad and horribly voyeuristic.

Did anyone else watch the Jonbenet documentary? I have gotten deep in Wikipedia and YouTube wormholes over that story and I love a good conspiracy theory and also fancy myself as an armchair detective of sorts but holy moly what a one sided angle.

The very conclusive evidence they provided included ascertaining it was most definitely a woman that wrote the note because it said "when you come home" (?) however much less subjective things like DNA were quickly dismissed with a flimsy explanation and never addressed again.

and then I remembered this was all about the nurder of a 6 year old girl and I decided it was much too sad and horribly voyeuristic.

I recorded both parts, but i only got part of the way through one before giving up. I realised it was going to be too inconclusive. If there was an actual result it would have been all over the news, not in a, as you say, one-sided and sensationalist documentary.

I also agree with what you say about it being the murder and possible abuse of a little girl, a long time ago, and it would probably be more tasteful to let it rest (short of the people responsible being brought to justice if there was any real evidence of course).

Was that the one where they said the brother did it? I read a news article about that. I also read the lawyers are thinking of suing the documentry makers.

Was that the one where they said the brother did it? I read a news article about that. I also read the lawyers are thinking of suing the documentry makers.

Yep that's the one. A popular theory and something I've considered at times myself too, but for sure they should consider suing. If the family was not complicit then that is such a horrible thing to be attached to them and presented as fact, and even if he did do it I don't think a sensationalist documentary is the way to bring about justice.

Yep that's the one. A popular theory and something I've considered at times myself too, but for sure they should consider suing. If the family was not complicit then that is such a horrible thing to be attached to them and presented as fact, and even if he did do it I don't think a sensationalist documentary is the way to bring about justice.

that is true.

have you seen the people v oj simpson?

NOW 10.20 thursday, might interest anyone who is a fan of Community, I am

Harmontown

SBS 2, 10:20pm, Thu, 22 Sep 2016, 110 minutes

NEW SHOW

Fasten your seat belts as we take a ride with TV Writer and Producer Dan Harmon and his cohorts on a 21-city bus tour across America performing the popular podcast, Harmontown. This funny and brutally honest documentary, directed by Neil Berkeley ("Beauty is Embarrassing"), provides a revealing look at the complicated character behind TV's "Community" and "Rick and Morty". Each new tour stop uncovers more Harmon (literally!) and provides intimate insights into his public persona and personal relationships

Directed by Neil Berkeley. Dan Harmon, Jeff Davis

Series, United States, English, Documentary, Comedy

That show last night was boring, need to be a big follower of that producer guy, not for me.

Raised by Wolves....I would give 3.5 stars. Great start, eccentric, smart family, I already love them

Watched the first season of Magnum P I. That was a fun show. But whilst watching it I thought how great it would be if it was called Magnum Pie! So now instead of Magnum being just a private investigator he is a talking pie private investigator. Everyone else in the show is human but Magnum is now a pie living in beautiful Hawaii.

The show writes itself.

Also when he gets shot mince comes out instead of blood.

Back