Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

Its really hard for two people to fall in love just because some experts
matched them on a reality show.
They probably do most of the kissing and hugging because they know
theres cameras and they dont want to be portrayed as "cold".
Most of these couples dont last even if they do choose to stay together at the end.

But the reality is the divorce rate is also high with marriages when the couple
got to know each other sometimes for years, and spent years married to each other.
Marriage forces you to lose a lot of habits you built up living single. Some people
are just good company to themselves while others always have to be with someone.

Many realize after 3-4 years that they love the other as a friend, but prefer
a friendship and not a marriage. it happens quiet a lot. then you have to choices other
than a full divorce:
A "to stick it out for the kids and divorce when they are older" or
B to lead a together but apart lifestyle, where you only share accomodation and
kids but go out seperately, have seperate accounts, seperate friends etc.

I know two friends who have chosen B, they do nothing together apart from
holidays for the kids, but also take seperate holidays with their friend and "friends"

and you have personal experience in A - B or SEE?

And you, what do you do? You chuck this out there, like we are all in study. Give us your personal and your heartfelt thoughts..
Thinking we all are a a study, for you.

its a good question.
society, tradition, media..
the early 90's to 00's had a lot of "singles" comedies (seinfeld, friends, sex and the city..)
but already in the late 90's and mostly 00's started going back to family values comedies (modern family, home improvement, everybody loves raymond)

that is very true.

i just wanna find someone to play scrabble with and sing along to Tina.

Some research suggests after major disastrous WTF events (e.g. the recession we had to have, 911, GFC) people withdraw into the warmth and safety of traditional values. Now 911 was in 2001. It would very likely have been an impacting factor on growing popularity and trends in certain types of TV content.

As a side note, I bet everyone would remember exactly where they were when 9/11 happened. Incredibly, I was standing in an electronics store looking at TV's (with no sound) thinking they were showing a movie where a plane flies into the Twin Towers, but Noooooo.....

It was obviously the most SURREAL and BIGGEST of WTF's?

As a side note, I bet everyone would remember exactly where they were when 9/11 happened. Incredibly, I was standing in an electronics store looking at TV's (with no sound) thinking they were showing a movie where a plane flies into the Twin Towers, but Noooooo.....

For quite a few years afterwards whenever I remembered it, I'd always think "Wow. That really happened."

But scary to think there are now people in their 20s who will have no memory of it. People for whom the post 9/11 world is just the way the world is.

For quite a few years afterwards whenever I remembered it, I'd always think "Wow. That really happened."

But scary to think there are now people in their 20s who will have no memory of it. People for whom the post 9/11 world is just the way the world is.
True. I know someone who was working close by in New York at the time and related the sheer terror of being in a highrise and thinking it was an earthquake. Only to look out of the window to see the most horrific sight, then in the hours afterwards, watching the people so desperate to escape... jumping to their deaths. Utterly. Incomprehensible. Many of those people needed counselling afterwards, let alone the real survivors. Imagine not being able to prevent such a thing from happening again.

Last edited by a moderator:

A month ago I watched a documentry on 9/11. It took all the footage of what people were taking on that day and edidted it them together. Very powerful.

The People v OJ Simpson. A fictionalized account of that famous trial more than 20 years ago. Such a great show. With some brilliant performances all round. And the issues that they touch on are still sadly as relevant today as they were back then.

800 Words must be a social experiment, as Zumbo was. See how long people can continue watching something that entirely free of either plot, wit, acting or entertainment value. I finally cracked tonight. Couldn't finish the episode, and it's now dead to me.

Omg how bad is that show! My mum and I tend to watch just about every local drama but this one became unwatchable! I was surprised it even got a second season, I don't think it's rating as well though, which is hardly surprising

Omg how bad is that show! My mum and I tend to watch just about every local drama but this one became unwatchable! I was surprised it even got a second season, I don't think it's rating as well though, which is hardly surprising

I know, right! Same with me and my mum, we loved Packed To The Rafters, All Saints, Winners & Losers, Wentworth, even Puberty Blues... but this one is just unwatchable.

Review: "South Park S.20 E.1"

South Park S20 (really? its been that long?) opened with its usual riding on the
coattails of Americana current events, so predictably, on the coattails of '16 elections.
Mr. Garrison is "Giant Douche" Trump realizing he doesn have a plan, trying to make
detested Clinton win, as "Turd sandwich". Anti-bullying, reboots of nostalgia, sitting
the anthem and republican superfruit berries are all thrown into the storyline
blender hoping its "provocation shakes" are tasty enough to produce some news
headlines,political outcry, and those into ratings.
score: 4/5

Last edited:
Review: "Absolutely Fashion: Inside British Vogue"

Should be called: "Absolutely cliche: How to make fashion journalism boring".
For the first time in its 100 year history, BV has allowed cameras inside.
wow, yippie, a peak at "the devil wears prada" HQ? behind the scenes on glam world?
No. This is not any of that. This is trauma.
Its mostly down to the narrator, pace and camera: painfully slow. uninterested. yawn inducing.
footage is drab, almost purposely made to look somber. and the interviewees..
fascinating all-alike bunch of office girls mumbling about being late to photoshoots and
rescheduling them, because, oh the excitement - they were caught up in traffic.
Sadness and boredom-from-fashion in what they probably intended to celebrate communicating fashion.
Perhaps the understanding that fashion journalism has moved on to streets, the blogs, the websites, and
instagrams, or just bad production.
score: 1/5

PS. This cover just sums it all:

yuZPeqi.jpg

Last edited:
Review: "South Park S.20 E.1"

South Park S20 (really? its been that long?) opened with its usual riding on the
coattails of Americana current events, so predictably, on the coattails of '16 elections.
Mr. Garrison is "Giant Douche" Trump realizing he doesn have a plan, trying to make
detested Clinton win, as "Turd sandwich". Anti-bullying, reboots of nostalgia, sitting
the anthem and republican superfruit berries are all thrown into the storyline
blender hoping its "provocation shakes" are tasty enough to produce some news
headlines,political outcry, and those into ratings.
score: 4/5

ohhh i love reviews! i might do some reviews of tv episoodes i have watched recently.

for some reason south park has never appealed to me. i blame my innocence for that.

Review: Flea Market Flip

In Flea Market Flip, enthusiastic host Lara follows-as-though-mentoring two sets of contestants
that purchase three items of secondhand junk and fix them up into more-expensive-looking junk,
according to changing criteria like mixed materials or by period design.
the highest profit wins $5k and the coveted "bragging rights".
get ready for an onslaught of hideous bar stools, bar cabinets and side tables.
all flipped for hundreds of dollars, who on earth knows how, y'all.
Its in season 6, so theres an audience for harmless d.i.y's to pass 20 minutes.
score: 3/5

Hey @yaelros...if you are going to tell us about a show, mention, review whatever - can you tell us where to see it please, especially obscure stuff like that flea market flip, ta

On now

Dancing Cheek To Cheek

'Episode 1: The Devil�s Work?'

SBS, 7:30pm, Fri, 16 Sep 2016, 65 minutes

ON NOW NEW SHOW

Len Goodman and Lucy Worsley explore how dancing went from being frowned upon as dangerous and debauched in the 17th century to being celebrated as an essential social skill in the 18th century. Len uncovers the long history of English country dancing at Middle Temple Hall and Lucy reveals how the dance-mad French King Louis XIV influenced British fashion as she learns a Baroque court dance designed to express her deepest emotions.

Len Goodman, Lucy Worsley

Series, United Kingdom, English, Documentary, Arts & Culture

Back