Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

Cheapest weddings I have been to have been the most fun, one where we all just went to a chinese restaurant after.
Another, dad is a fisherman, wedding on the beach, then reception at a little local hall, the food to die for - so much fresh gorgeous seafood, and it was like a country dance...
The most boring - at the Windsor

And this looks interesting starting tonight...

The Five

'Series 1, Episode 1'

SBS, 9:25pm, Mon, 12 Sep 2016, 55 minutes

NEW SHOW

The original thriller from best-selling author Harlan Coben about a boy who disappears when playing with his brother. When his DNA turns up at a crime scene 20 years after his mysterious disappearance, the lives of his family and friends are turned upside down. Jesse's older brother Mark and childhood friends Danny, Pru and Slade were the last people to see Jesse alive that day. They must now come to terms with the fact that Jesse could be back. As Danny, now a detective, investigates the crime secrets from the past are about to be unearthed.

Directed by Harlan Coben.

Series, United Kingdom, English, Drama, Crime, Thriller

Did you watch this last night, kxk? I have recorded it but not watched it yet. It does sound very promising.

Hello @Jam, great to see you again, is everything going OK???

And yes, I missed the very beginning, but that didn't matter I hope - but i will go and check.
Loved it, very mysterious and moody in that lovely contained Brit way...and wooo a real cliffhanger ending.

I love Brit stuff, because they don't pad things, they make it lean and mean and very cool if you ask me. Broadchurch being a favourite.

Such a busy year so far, @kxk! Lots of travel and overseas visitors. Not complaining about that kind of busy!!!

I can't wait to watch the new Brit show. I, too, love British crime fiction. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: kxk
Such a busy year so far, @kxk! Lots of travel and overseas visitors. Not complaining about that kind of busy!!!

I can't wait to watch the new Brit show. I, too, love British crime fiction. Thanks for the heads up!

Brit crime shows are great. Though I like the older ones better. I don't mind American crime shows. I prefer light hearted crimes to dark ones. Ones with a sense of humor in them like Monk.

Also Jam your avatar reminded me of this:

They've been promoting MAFS as a social experiment. TEN's been promoting Survivor as social experiment.

They must be hoping to leverage the starvation of Big Brother fans.

800 Words must be a social experiment, as Zumbo was. See how long people can continue watching something that entirely free of either plot, wit, acting or entertainment value. I finally cracked tonight. Couldn't finish the episode, and it's now dead to me.

800 Words must be a social experiment, as Zumbo was. See how long people can continue watching something that entirely free of either plot, wit, acting or entertainment value. I finally cracked tonight. Couldn't finish the episode, and it's now dead to me.
well done getting that far... I gave up long ago!

Its really hard for two people to fall in love just because some experts
matched them on a reality show.
They probably do most of the kissing and hugging because they know
theres cameras and they dont want to be portrayed as "cold".
Most of these couples dont last even if they do choose to stay together at the end.

But the reality is the divorce rate is also high with marriages when the couple
got to know each other sometimes for years, and spent years married to each other.
Marriage forces you to lose a lot of habits you built up living single. Some people
are just good company to themselves while others always have to be with someone.

Many realize after 3-4 years that they love the other as a friend, but prefer
a friendship and not a marriage. it happens quiet a lot. then you have to choices other
than a full divorce:
A "to stick it out for the kids and divorce when they are older" or
B to lead a together but apart lifestyle, where you only share accomodation and
kids but go out seperately, have seperate accounts, seperate friends etc.

I know two friends who have chosen B, they do nothing together apart from
holidays for the kids, but also take seperate holidays with their friend and "friends"

Last edited:
Its really hard for two people to fall in love just because some experts
matched them on a reality show.
They probably do most of the kissing and hugging because they know
theres cameras and they dont want to be portrayed as "cold".
Most of these couples dont last even if they do choose to stay together at the end.

But the reality is the divorce rate is also high with marriages when the couple
got to know each other sometimes for years, and spent years married to each other.
Marriage forces you to lose a lot of habits you built up living single. Some people
are just good company to themselves while others always have to be with someone.

Agreed. I personally would rather stay single forever than be trapped in a loveless marriage. Where each year your light gets dimmer and darker.

Agreed. I personally would rather stay single forever than be trapped in a loveless marriage. Where each year your light gets dimmer and darker.

Well in option B your marriage is basically a shared kids duties and shared house.
One of the couples I know that have stayed married have done it for legal reasons
because theres tax benefits here for married workers.
They live in seperate apartments, and for all purposes they are divorced, just not legally.
They also call it "a family arrangement" not a marriage. They also each kept their own
surnames, btw.

Well in option B your marriage is basically a shared kids duties and shared house.
One of the couples I know that have stayed married have done it for legal reasons
because theres tax benefits here for married workers.
They live in seperate apartments, and for all purposes they are divorced, just not legally.
They also call it "a family arrangement" not a marriage. They also each kept their own
surnames, btw.

Blergh kids ruin everything.

its a good question.
society, tradition, media..
the early 90's to 00's had a lot of "singles" comedies (seinfeld, friends, sex and the city..)
but already in the late 90's and mostly 00's started going back to family values comedies (modern family, home improvement, everybody loves raymond)

Back