Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

I see this show has been mentioned just previously in this thread. I have watched the first two episodes thus far....and as someone who loves the Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Westworld, its a bit off the beaten path for me but....this is probably the best offering from Netflix thus far.

Its beautifully filmed, great musical score and performances and quite obviously big budget. I predict Emmy nominations for this series on several fronts especially the actress, Claire Foy playing Queen Elizabeth.

I see this show has been mentioned just previously in this thread. I have watched the first two episodes thus far....and as someone who loves the Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Westworld, its a bit off the beaten path for me but....this is probably the best offering from Netflix thus far.

Its beautifully filmed, great musical score and performances and quite obviously big budget. I predict Emmy nominations for this series on several fronts especially the actress, Claire Foy playing Queen Elizabeth.
No damn edit button for some reason but I should have said Emmy wins...not just nominations. I actually teared up a couple of times during episode 2 and I cannot remember the last time that ever happened. (well maybe when Negan decided not to cut off Carls arm on TWD). Never in my life would I ever have believed I would be so thoroughly absorbed and entranced by watching a series about the Queen of England of all people who I have always considered one of the most boring and stodgiest people on the planet.

They spent 170 million dollars on the show apparently.

The Crown is absolutely amazing viewing. I'm not sure about all the historical accuracy but it is engrossing viewing. I hope this isn't a spoiler, but it's funny how Churchill and the Government had a massive issue with Prince Philip flying in the 1950's thinking he would die but Phil is still slaying at 95 and probably outlived them all

Did you know they have made a Dad's Army movie ?
Recently, and should be out soon
Was released here about a year ago so I'd have thought it would have made it's way down to you by now. It did as well as you'd expect for a remake of a much loved classic but at least it didn't follow the current trend for remaking things with an all female cast - although actually in the context of Dad's Army that might actually work.

I am reading a book about Dad's Army. It is quite interesting. The creators based the characters on the personalities of the actors themselves.

That Captain Mainwaring and the actor who played him were both very pompous and conservative.
There was also a TV drama which aired around the same time as the movie about the making of either the original film or series which was far more watchable than the movie. A quick google tells us it's called "We're Doomed - the Dad's Army Story". The BBC have done a few of these in recent years about the stories behind classic shows and most of them have been pretty good - certainly was one about Steptoe and Son and also one about Coronation Street.

The Crown is absolutely amazing viewing. I'm not sure about all the historical accuracy but it is engrossing viewing. I hope this isn't a spoiler, but it's funny how Churchill and the Government had a massive issue with Prince Philip flying in the 1950's thinking he would die but Phil is still slaying at 95 and probably outlived them all
Always love the feeling of superioity when people complain about "spoilers" in historic or modern history dramas. There is certainly a major twist coming in a few series time.

Not sure whether I'll bother with this - reviews seems to have been great but with Netflix I think pre-series they often boast too much about the money they're spending on a show and not enough about if the show is any good or not. They did the same last year with Marco Polo and that was bloody awful.

Also really finding there is just too much content out there at the moment. Yes, the choice is great but it also means the threshold is higher too - and commiting to ten hours with another fifty potentially to follow is a lot to ask, and actually sometimes having it all available to view instantly doesn't always help. There is something about quality drama where you have to wait from week to week to see it unfold, and actually in these days of social media it's great to discuss things after they air rather than have to avoid most online discussion of a series because everyone will be at different points, and then once you've watched it if you've really enjoyed it you don't really want to spoil it for others too.

i watched an episode last night of Dad's Army where all the platoon except for Mainwaring were wearing medals. Some were joke medals but a majority of them worn by them were from the first world war.

this of course proves quite shameful for Mainwaring. Having no medals.

In a strange way i know he felt. Not about the medals of course, but about the shame about missing out on something important in your youth.

Hollow Crown - started last night, stunning
Next week -
The Hollow Crown

'Henry IV Part 1'

SBS, 8:30pm, Sun, 20 Nov 2016, 135 minutes

NEW SHOW

Tom Hiddleston plays Prince Hal, the rebellious heir to the throne who defies his father, the King (Jeremy Irons) by spending his time at Mistress Quickly's (Julie Walters) tavern in th ecompany of the dissolute Falstaff (Simon Russell Beale) and his companions. The King is threatened by a rebellion led by Hal's rival Hotspur (Joe Armstrong), Hotspur's father Northumberland (Alun Armstrong) and his uncle Worcester (David Hayman). In the face of this threat to the state, Prince Hal joins his father at the Battle of Shrewsbury, defeating the rebels and killing Hotspur in single combat.

Jeremy Irons, Julie Walters, Simon Russell Beale, Joe Armstrong, Alun Armstrong, David Hayman

Series, United Kingdom, English, Drama, Biography, Historical

Next week -
The Hollow Crown

'Henry IV Part 1'

NEW SHOW

Tom Hiddleston plays Prince Hal, the rebellious heir to the throne who defies his father, the King (Jeremy Irons) by spending his time at Mistress Quickly's (Julie Walters) tavern in th ecompany of the dissolute Falstaff (Simon Russell Beale) and his companions. The King is threatened by a rebellion led by Hal's rival Hotspur (Joe Armstrong), Hotspur's father Northumberland (Alun Armstrong) and his uncle Worcester (David Hayman). In the face of this threat to the state, Prince Hal joins his father at the Battle of Shrewsbury, defeating the rebels and killing Hotspur in single combat.

Jeremy Irons, Julie Walters, Simon Russell Beale, Joe Armstrong, Alun Armstrong, David Hayman

That looks quite interesting.

Next week -
The Hollow Crown

'Henry IV Part 1'

NEW SHOW

Thanks. I will keep an eye out for it. Not sure where to find it over here but I am certain that it will magically morph onto one channel or another.

It is quite full on, almost 3 hours first instalment, Shakespeare heaven...and if you are not so sure about Shakespeare this serves it up in an easily digested way - history sort of, great great actors, and all set in Britain of course.
Sunday was Richard II to Henry

I started watching it yesterday and almost developed a pressure area after becoming instantly addicted and not moving for 3 straight hours!

It is in complete contrast to my other addiction at the moment which is Jane the Virgin.

OK two things:
1/ I noticed on Netflix that there is an Australian series called..." Glitch".....is it worth watching?

2/ Matt Damon and Ben Affleck produce a new series called "Incorporated" about 50 years in the future when corporations rule the world

it starts Nov 30th

Back