Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

Did you guys ever get The Crystal Maze - a 90's game show hosted by Richard O'Brien then Ed Tudor Pole in which 6 contestants played games in 4 zones then caught tickets in the Crystal Dome.

If not this will mean nothing to you but if so IT'S COMING BACK!!!! This is like Big Brother returning times a million. It regularly tops the list of shows people want to come back and the best shows of all time, and despite being repeated continuously in the 20 years since it ended nobody has been brave enough to attempt a revival. Until now.

They've chosen a great host too if rumours are correct - David Tennant. Yes, The Doctor. It's returning in October for Stand up to Cancer with a celeb special (probably filmed at the experience which opened in London this year), and will go to series if successful.

It is news that is literally made my year.

(EDIT: Slightly less excitingly this has now been confirmed but with Stephen Merchant rather than David Tennant as host)
I know this means nothing to most of you so you couldn't care less but the revival of The Crystal Maze aired tonight and I'm excited now as I was when it arrived - they managed to do it justice and not ruin the childhood (and adulthood) memories of anyone who watched it in the 90s. I didn't stop smiling throughout and reaction has been overwhelmingly positive from all.

They are still trying to claim it's a one-off special filmed at the Crystal Maze Experience for Stand Up to Cancer, but the effort put in showed it's much more than that, especially now they've announced a second Crystal Maze Experience will be opening up in Manchester at the former Granada studios, with those in the know claiming it's being set up more with TV production in mind.

What I think is interesting and perhaps relevent here is essentially this long awaited revival of a much loved classic came about through crowdfunding. It was a crowdfunding campaign that got the Crystal Maze Experience built, so fans could go and play the game they loved to watch as a kid. And then once the set was in place C4 came calling and for the first time in 20 years the show that regularly topped the polls of shows people wanted to come back actually had a chance to come back.

Now admittedly Big Brother is a very different format (with much more complicated licencing arrangements) but what this does show is that any show with a strong enough fanbase has a chance - and it can be the fans in control of it's destiny.

Oh wow, i wish this had been on earlier this year

You Can't Ask That

'Terminally Ill'

ABC, 9:05pm, Wed, 5 Oct 2016, 30 minutes

Insightful, moving and unpredictable, this episode sets the record straight about what it's really like to live with a terminal illness. #YouCantAskThat (Final)

Yeah I watched all of these on iview, but 'terminally ill' was by far the best.

It was so sad at the end, dedicated to some of the participants who had since died.
They were all beautiful, and kind for sharing.

I am watching Family Feud, Wentworth v Prisoner - this is really good, not the game, the chat.
All sorts of very cool stuff about Prisoner, and goodness old Harold Bishop was a writer on prisoner!

Interesting caste on both sides, and oh old Vinegar Tits is a gorgeous old lady, she is lovely

I am watching Family Feud, Wentworth v Prisoner - this is really good, not the game, the chat.
All sorts of very cool stuff about Prisoner, and goodness old Harold Bishop was a writer on prisoner!

Interesting caste on both sides, and oh old Vinegar Tits is a gorgeous old lady, she is lovely

I love Prisoner, will watch this later.

You will love it @Meglos , they had quite fun people from Wentworth, I have never seen that show apparently it is very good, giant woman is funny.
Prisoner, had Doreen, Val, Vinegar tits, and harold. And they chatted most because they were winning, lots of interesting behind the scenes stuff, Val had murderers writing fan letters etc.

I always remember one of my sisters was obsessed with Prisoner, and we would watch together and cack ourselves laughing.

Boomer was hilarious.

Some of the Celeb Feuds are hilarious, Boomer the gorgeous giant lady was very funny, they all were.
And isn't Vinegar Tits just a gorgeous looking oldie, she looks quite delicate.

OMG will you look at this starting this Thursday, I love this kind of thing

Time travel, passion, and kilts: why you absolutely MUST watch Outlander SBS

outlander-kiss.jpg

Outlander is the story of a woman trapped between two worlds and two loves.

By
Rochelle Siemienowicz
Time travel, sexy sex, exciting history and lashings of stunning Scottish scenery, Outlander is the next top-shelf TV series you absolutely MUST watch.

Based on the Outlander series of novels by Diana Gabaldon, the adaptation has been celebrated by its fans for its compelling blend of adventure and romance in the Scottish highlands. The book series has sold an estimated 25 million copies, with the ninth book in the series expected soon. With four seasons of the TV show already confirmed (covering up to the fourth novel), it's time to get swept up in the excitement of Outlander.

A time-travelling heroine of super resourcefulness
As a combat nurse, Claire Randall (Caitriona Balfe) has survived the horrors of World War II. Reunited with her husband Frank (Tobias Menzies), Claire is attempting to reignite the marriage with a vacation in Inverness in the Scottish highlands.

Suddenly, she’s mysteriously transported back to 1743. These are harsh and violent times, with the noble but wild Highlanders under the oppressive thumb of the British army. It’s lucky that Claire knows how to amputate limbs, stitch up bullet wounds and comfort the dying. Even luckier that she was raised by an archeologist and has a handy knowledge of history. Oh, and she’s a keen amateur botanist which is helpful when you’re concocting herbal remedies.

Read lots more here -
http://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article...kilts-why-you-absolutely-must-watch-outlander

The best sex on television
Well, that’s what critics are saying, and there’s no doubt this famous wedding night episode (number seven – they do make us wait for it), as well as the entire series, was written and conceived with unprecedented understanding of the female gaze. Jamie’s body is frequently on show throughout the series as Claire tends to his fighting wounds. There’s also the matter of his whip-flayed back, scarred by the brutal British Captain Jack Randall, an ancestor of Claire’s husband Frank, and unnervingly the spitting image of him - he’s also played by Menzies. These wounds only serve to underline Jamie’s masculine beauty, bravery and vulnerability.
Right from episode one, when Claire initiates sex with her first husband in a castle ruin, we know she’s a passionate and sexually assertive wife. She takes the lead again with Jamie as the more experienced party.

Pivotal episode, 'The Wedding', was written by a woman (Anne Kenney) and directed by a woman (Anna Foerster) and it shows. While there’s a lot of female wish fulfillment here, the sex scenes are never gratuitous and always complicated by all kinds of politics. Sex is key to building trust and intimacy for Claire and Jamie and their scenes together are not only important for the development of the story, but they are genuinely sexy, while sensitively portrayed.

outlander_bedroom.gif

I love the movie Highlander, sound s little like that with a female traveller...

I have decided that I love Pointless, and I want their trophy. I just don't know the answers to any of their questions. A problem. There are a lot of European sports questions. Yikes!

Had anyone watched Hard Quiz on ABC? I do love a quiz.

Reactions: kxk
I watched only a few minutes of Hard Quiz. What I saw looked okay.

I love Pointless. First found it on YouTube.

Reactions: Jam
It's HARD! Tom Gleeson is very funny. That Dr Who kid was pretty funny, too.

Pointless is delightful. Did you know that Richard Osman is 6 foot 6 inches tall (as opposed to wide)? For the younger set that's 2.01 metres. Another pointless fact!

I have decided that I love Pointless, and I want their trophy. I just don't know the answers to any of their questions. A problem. There are a lot of European sports questions. Yikes!

Had anyone watched Hard Quiz on ABC? I do love a quiz.

I watched only a few minutes of Hard Quiz. What I saw looked okay.

I love Pointless. First found it on YouTube.

I love Pointless too, not quite so Brit-centric as Eggheads thank goodness, but yeah if they dropped the soccer and London Olympics questions that'd be fine with me.

Back