Skip to main content

Random advice thread

Hey @SepiaBird I am a big supporter of gap years! I think it's quite unrealistic to know what you want from life at 17/18 years old without ever having spent a single day in the "real world", and while it's not the be all end all, you don't want to be stuck in a course or career path that isn't what you want because you were forced to make the decision so young.

I wanted to drop out of uni probably every day but I did stick it out, nonetheless my advice to people is usually to get out while they can because there is no use wasting your time doing something you don't enjoy.

So of course it is up to you, but while there is uncertainty I recommend taking some time away. You might surprise yourself and realise that you want something completely different altogether, but either way you can be more confident in your decision.

I'm glad your mum is supportive. I'm sure she'd prefer to see you happy than simply being at uni.

No you are absolutely welcome! :) I was just writing a reply when my mum rang so I just told her straight-up that I wanted to defer. She seemed ok with it. She told me to give it a while but I'm positive that I don't want to be there right now.

The problem is that I know that I can't defer. I know that the only option I have is to drop-out and reapply when I'm ready. I just don't know how to tell them that. I know it seems simple but I've always been someone who wanted to start uni straight away and was always against a gap year but I really do think I need it.

...well that's great to hear that your mum understands SepiaBird... that really is... you see... in most cases family always comes through in the end I personally have found... when you eventually do get around to talking to them about wanting a gap year I'm sure that they will come party with that too my friend... just tell them that you need to give your brain a holiday for a year lol!... I'm glad that you have seen that your mum is quite understanding of the situation as it stands now... she sounds like a good mother...

...anyhow... I hope that things work out for you... happy 'gap-yearing' if that's what eventuates lol!... cheers.

@SepiaBird - ask you 100% sure you can't defer? I just remembered at one stage during Uni I had no idea where I was heading so I spoke to someone at like a Career Advice centre at the Uni and it was really helpful. I also did a couple of semesters part time, so that is another option. *hugs* take care of yourself xo

Thanks all for the advice! :) I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I've spoken to my family and they are trying to help make uni work for me. We have gone through, outlined everything, and made the workload seem minimal. I have three weeks until the census date so I have until then to decide what I'm going to do. I found this thing called a Leave of Absence or Intermission which means that I can take a heap of time off after each semester so I'll give the first semester a go and see after that.

I guess I really have to look to my future. I've known from a very young age that I wanted to work in the media industry. Firstly I wanted to work in film but in recent years I've become more TV orientated and I'm positive that I want to be a TV Producer. It's now just a matter of getting the qualifications and getting the work.

Thanks all for the advice! :) I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I've spoken to my family and they are trying to help make uni work for me. We have gone through, outlined everything, and made the workload seem minimal. I have three weeks until the census date so I have until then to decide what I'm going to do. I found this thing called a Leave of Absence or Intermission which means that I can take a heap of time off after each semester so I'll give the first semester a go and see after that.

I guess I really have to look to my future. I've known from a very young age that I wanted to work in the media industry. Firstly I wanted to work in film but in recent years I've become more TV orientated and I'm positive that I want to be a TV Producer. It's now just a matter of getting the qualifications and getting the work.

Yay for you! You sound like a smart cookie - remember all you have to do is pass. GPA means squat in most degrees. And feel free to vent here whenever you need. Maybe look up how TV producers you admire got their job and what their career path was. It might help inspire you. Find out if any TV shows are being filmed around you, go check them out and be your enthusiastic self!

Sooo, I moved into a new rental about 2 months ago, and I probably get 30-40 letters a week shoved into my letter box that are for a previous tenant. Who knew anyone got letters anymore? So I have been doing the right thing and putting return to sender on them and putting them back in a post box, which quite frankly annoys the crap out of me because there are none nearby so I have to park at the Shopping Centre, which also annoys me but these are all first world problems. Anyway today I was bringing in the usual 20 letters for them and 1 for me and accidentally opened theirs instead. It was final notice from a debt collector looking for about $7k. Then I looked at the reply address on some of the others and a LOT of them were from Debt Collectors. I'm worried that this former tenant is not getting these letters and doesn't know they are in big shit. Any suggestions?

Sooo, I moved into a new rental about 2 months ago, and I probably get 30-40 letters a week shoved into my letter box that are for a previous tenant. Who knew anyone got letters anymore? So I have been doing the right thing and putting return to sender on them and putting them back in a post box, which quite frankly annoys the crap out of me because there are none nearby so I have to park at the Shopping Centre, which also annoys me but these are all first world problems. Anyway today I was bringing in the usual 20 letters for them and 1 for me and accidentally opened theirs instead. It was final notice from a debt collector looking for about $7k. Then I looked at the reply address on some of the others and a LOT of them were from Debt Collectors. I'm worried that this former tenant is not getting these letters and doesn't know they are in big shit. Any suggestions?
Maybe they do know, and that in part is why they're gone, without mail forwarding. Annoying agree, but their issue.

If it were me, I would be notifying the debt collectors that the person they are after no longer lives there. That should fix your mail situation and also help out the debt collectors and likely the person that they are after.

@delcan definetly contact the debt collectors if you can and tell them that person no longer lives there so they can investigate it and you can stop getting inundated with them.

Also when things are sent back via the return address in the post they can sometimes stay in circulation for a month or so before returning to the original sender. When debt collectors don't get payment they usually send another notice immediately so I say that's why you're getting inundated with so many. If I were you I'd let them know. It might be a hassle but it seems what you're doing now is anyway.

And @SepiaBird good luck to you whatever you end up choosing to do. If you decide to stay that's great but if not IMO there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a gap year. I was very much like you. I just assumed that I had to go to uni immediately after school which I did...but looking back I wish I hadn't. I wasn't ready. I wanted to drop out really badly in my first year but I made a really good group of friends in my degree who convinced me not to. I ended up enjoying it after first year and I'm happy I have my degree now but sometimes I do wonder if I'd be doing something very different if I had taken the time to follow my passions and work out what I wanted rather than just pick something out of necessity as a 17 year old. You may even discover that after working full time for a year you'll appreciate being able to go and study.

Delcan, I would contact the debt collectors, too, and maybe also check whether your landlord has any way of contacting the previous tenant?

Maybe speak with the Estate Agent/Landlord??????

:roflmao: Will they be teamed with sailor's stripes?
63f9a138a1808a9b056d235c3e70e781.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1424764060][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have always been a fan of linen. Crisply ironed to start with then it can do what it likes once you put it on. So comfy in the heat too.

I love linen... LOVE

63f9a138a1808a9b056d235c3e70e781.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1424764060][/DOUBLEPOST]

I love linen... LOVE
Regardless of the crumpledness of it even after five seconds of wearing it, it will always look divine. It has a certain je ne sais quoi that only silk rivals. However linen is better with sweat than silk is.

I like leather jackets, but it's too hot to wear it on the Gold Coast. I also like flannelette shirts and track pants, but unfortunately the weather doesn't permit it.

Back