Skip to main content

Random advice thread

So tomorrow I am going down the cost, taking the 5 hour long bus ride and I really want to bring my laptop with me. Sadly I do not have a laptop bag for it and I'm seriously considering packing it in my suit case. Has anyone ever packed a laptop in a suitcase before and how did you pack it? Also if I do bring it I will be telling the bus driver to be careful of my suitcase....

That sounds like a bad idea. Your laptop could get easily damaged by the bus ride. Is there anyway you could take the laptop on the bus with you, or is that not possible?

ah

He didn't apologise. He wanted me to plan my future career, and basically said I wasn't going to further my career there. Which I am fine with - I have depression and anxiety, combined with being unlucky, so to me, even having a job is something I am incredibly grateful for. I am happy with what I have, because for me, that is a big achievement

He sounds like an arse. People, especially those in any position of authority who get pleasure out of putting others down instead of focusing on positives and improvement have their own personal 'small' issues in my opinion..
He deserves to have his friend request declined, specially if you can respond and say 'Because I don't like you'.
BUT, I'd probably just go with the hitting 'ignore' option because they're not told that you've declined their request and you can pretend it never happened.

So tomorrow I am going down the cost, taking the 5 hour long bus ride and I really want to bring my laptop with me. Sadly I do not have a laptop bag for it and I'm seriously considering packing it in my suit case. Has anyone ever packed a laptop in a suitcase before and how did you pack it? Also if I do bring it I will be telling the bus driver to be careful of my suitcase....
I've put a laptop in a suitcase before, in fact I did so recently when I went for a family holiday to the Gold Coast by plane. I put it in the middle between clothes. I wrapped it with clothing items I would be taking too, just to be sure it would be ok. Not sure if it was a very smart decision but the laptop was fine.

No,don't do that even if you tell them to be careful they won't.Rather borrow a laptop bag and take it on the bus with you

Thank you @reepbot @Sweetgeek and @Lindsay1973 for the advice, but it looks like plans have changed. My sisters partner and his friend need to come up to Sydney tomorrow to pick up a part for their boat... so lucky me gets a lift down. So I'm going to just put the laptop in a bag and carry it with me in the car.

I'm sure your laptop will be very grateful! Have a great time down the Coast.

So I thought I would make a thread where people could ask for advice on various issues. Nothing is off limits.

Anyway, I was wanting advice on the following:

I have a Facebook account (duh) and I used to have a lot of colleagues on it, but a lot of them were pretty much using it to bitch about me to my bosses, so I deleted most of them. This was about 3 years ago. I am now working somewhere completely different, but I have a policy that I will only become "friends" with people in different departments, or people in my department who I have built trust with over 3 years. Today, my boss sent me a friend request. The same boss who made me cry at a performance review last week and quite openly says I'm a moron in from of the whole department. I do not want them to know about any of my friends or interests because I am sure they will use it against me. I am just ignoring it at the moment - I would usually just stick them on my block list, but I don't know if it is cool to put your boss on a block list after they knew you existed. And I'm worried other colleagues might refer to my posts and my boss will get even more miffed with me

I'm late to the party, I know; but run, Declan, run! No boss should make you cry. It's only work! Unless you were negligent and injured or killed someone, it's not worth tears. I also firmly believe that a Facebook friend request should come from a friend. I say ignore the fucker.

A bit late to the game, but @Inigo Montoya, I took my notebook in my luggage overseas. I packed the power socket and cords with my phone charger, and I got a case at Anaconda for my notebook. The case is fairly lightweight, but is water proof and has heaps of padding. I travelled with a backpack and had no issues, even under a public bus in Mexico

I ignored the request. Then I blocked. I know that is a bit extreme, and I know I will face passive aggressive consequences, but I honestly do not want them to know anything about my personal life outside of work. And I still find it incredibly uncomfortable that they think it would be acceptable in the first place. To me, it is incredibly unprofessional. I hide my personal life at work for a reason - it is personal.

Reactions: Jam
I ignored the request. Then I blocked. I know that is a bit extreme, and I know I will face passive aggressive consequences, but I honestly do not want them to know anything about my personal life outside of work. And I still find it incredibly uncomfortable that they think it would be acceptable in the first place. To me, it is incredibly unprofessional. I hide my personal life at work for a reason - it is personal.

Do you have Linkin? if its brought up say you only add work related people to that and keep your Facebook separate

Living in a small town, I have no local natives on my FB - well - I have 1, but it is someone dear and trusted and I only added her a few days ago - and I know who to lash out at if - you know!

Like you say - keeping private life private - but then again it is the internut....... and so....... that is life now :(

I hoard bubblewrap - want me to send you some? Seriously, i would wrap it in clothes and towels and that bubblewrap - oh. I see now you don't need this advice anymore ............ oops LOL

Topic : General Login Accounts

A person i know had an account at a community forum that was restricted by the admins.
This person then set up a second account in order to be able to access all forum tools once again.
Within about 17minutes, this was discovered by the admins and they put a complete ban on the second account.
This guilty, civil disobedient, yet friendly person that i know took it well and simply returned to their original account
No harm, no foul.
However, on their laptop, the forum still has the 2nd account logged in , frozen, and unable to log out of.
Apparently, this person can still access their original account from every other computer, smart phone et al, JUST not their laptop where they wove their evil web of duplicity

Question: how the fk do they get that website to log their 2nd account out of the forum so that the original account can be used there.?

Cheers

Any advice/information to assist will be passed on to that person.

A person i know had an account at a community forum that was restricted by the admins.
This person then set up a second account in order to be able to access all forum tools once again.
Within about 17minutes, this was discovered by the admins and they put a complete ban on the second account.
This guilty, civil disobedient, yet friendly person that i know took it well and simply returned to their original account
No harm, no foul.
However, on their laptop, the forum still has the 2nd account logged in , frozen, and unable to log out of.
Apparently, this person can still access their original account from every other computer, smart phone et al, JUST not their laptop where they wove their evil web of duplicity

Question: how the fk do they get that website to log their 2nd account out of the forum so that the original account can be used there.?

Cheers

Clear your cache/cookies.

No harm, no foul.

Cheers

I wonder if it has anything to do with the forum being rewound. As I swear there is a member posting who was banned before the hack.

In any case. Yes clear your cookies etc. and welcome back Glen. I missed you most in our down time.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the forum being rewound. As I swear there is a member posting who was banned before the hack.

In any case. Yes clear your cookies etc. and welcome back Glen. I missed you most in our down time.

Ditto Bleachy friend......The world is filled with miserable people it seems, yet you have the ability to cheer up the masses: one and all...ME especially

Happy 2015 friend ![DOUBLEPOST=1423820745][/DOUBLEPOST]
Clear your cache/cookies.

PS..

Person reported back that your tip WORKED a treat,,,,many thanks , again :p

Back