Skip to main content

Random advice thread

Are you a big fan of Miami Vice?

Nope
flashback.gif

So I am now in my 7th week at UC and while I don't hate it as much as I did when I started, I still don't want to be here. I have no friends at all, the only motivation I have is looking forward to breaks, and I am studying a double degree (Media Production and IT) but I don't like the IT stuff. I have 6-8 weeks until the end of the semester and I don't know what to do.

So I am now in my 7th week at UC and while I don't hate it as much as I did when I started, I still don't want to be here. I have no friends at all, the only motivation I have is looking forward to breaks, and I am studying a double degree (Media Production and IT) but I don't like the IT stuff. I have 6-8 weeks until the end of the semester and I don't know what to do.

That is sad that you don't want to be at Uni. Can you drop the IT part of your degree or not?

Maybe you could join an extra-cirricular activity at uni or something like that if you wanted to make new friends? That is of course if you have the time or the inclination to do something like that.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time. I didn't go to uni, so can't really help much on that front. On the friends side of things, sometimes you have to put yourself out there, out of your comfort zone. Cos believe it or not, a lot of people would be feeling like you, hoping someone else will reach out to them. Hope you feel more at ease soon.

:( Do you think you can hold out the semester then drop the IT stuff? You might be able to go part time then if you want to work. I'm sad you don't have friends because you have always seemed approachable, kind, funny and caring to me. Can you join any clubs at Uni to meet people? I made friends through group work assignments at uni - maybe ask if people want to go for a drink after an assignment due date/exam etc. I hope things get better and easier for you. I'm glad you updated us, don't be afraid to reach out more often if you need to xo

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time. I didn't go to uni, so can't really help much on that front. On the friends side of things, sometimes you have to put yourself out there, out of your comfort zone. Cos believe it or not, a lot of people would be feeling like you, hoping someone else will reach out to them. Hope you feel more at ease soon.
:( Do you think you can hold out the semester then drop the IT stuff? You might be able to go part time then if you want to work. I'm sad you don't have friends because you have always seemed approachable, kind, funny and caring to me. Can you join any clubs at Uni to meet people? I made friends through group work assignments at uni - maybe ask if people want to go for a drink after an assignment due date/exam etc. I hope things get better and easier for you. I'm glad you updated us, don't be afraid to reach out more often if you need to xo
I don't think it's me who has the problem with the friend stuff. It's not that I'm not trying to make friends it's that nobody else wants anything to do with each other. They just sit there silently doing there work with no social interaction or attempt whatsoever! It's like I'm the only one who can speak! They don't even speak to the lecturers or tutors. :(

I'm getting my grades back now and they are all High Distinctions or Distinctions so I guess I'm doing ok. I only have 4-5 weeks left of the semester so I CANNOT wait until I get there. I will see what happens after that.

Thanks all for the help! :)

I don't think it's me who has the problem with the friend stuff. It's not that I'm not trying to make friends it's that nobody else wants anything to do with each other. They just sit there silently doing there work with no social interaction or attempt whatsoever! It's like I'm the only one who can speak! They don't even speak to the lecturers or tutors. :(

I'm getting my grades back now and they are all High Distinctions or Distinctions so I guess I'm doing ok. I only have 4-5 weeks left of the semester so I CANNOT wait until I get there. I will see what happens after that.

Thanks all for the help! :)

I can understand that, I'm hardly an extrovert, but there is nothing more awkward than silence. Sounds like you are on track finishing this semester, and that is going to give you a lot of power, at least psychologically. Good luck xo

Any electricians/ sparky's out there?
smile.gif

We have this Clipsal Infrascan light sensor controlling the front porch lights on my house.

Tonight we had guests over and they inadvertently switched the light switch inside the house that controls this sensor off. (This switch is usually permanently on and we all know not to touch it....)

Anyway, we turned the switch back on straight away but now the front porch lights won't turn off based on the sensor settings etc. The lights stay on continuously until you turn the main light switch off again. Of course the user manual that comes with the sensor that was translated into English from the original Chinese via Swahili is useless for dealing with this problem...

So... Has anybody has experience with a similar problem with this device or similar and knows how to get the $*%#@%&* thing to work on the sensor settings again?The unit is less than a year old and before the guest hit the main light switch inside the house the sensor was doing its thing perfectly. The only change has been the light switch being switched off for a few seconds.

It was suggested to us that we switch the light switch on and off again quickly as this will rest the sensor to operate as normal once more, but doing so hasn't affected anything. The lights stay on regardless until you manually turn them off again at the switch.

So, any advice is appreciated. I rather not have to call out an electrician on such a minor issue...

cheers
Sean

Any electricians/ sparky's out there?
smile.gif

We have this Clipsal Infrascan light sensor controlling the front porch lights on my house.

Tonight we had guests over and they inadvertently switched the light switch inside the house that controls this sensor off. (This switch is usually permanently on and we all know not to touch it....)

Anyway, we turned the switch back on straight away but now the front porch lights won't turn off based on the sensor settings etc. The lights stay on continuously until you turn the main light switch off again. Of course the user manual that comes with the sensor that was translated into English from the original Chinese via Swahili is useless for dealing with this problem...

So... Has anybody has experience with a similar problem with this device or similar and knows how to get the $*%#@%&* thing to work on the sensor settings again?The unit is less than a year old and before the guest hit the main light switch inside the house the sensor was doing its thing perfectly. The only change has been the light switch being switched off for a few seconds.

It was suggested to us that we switch the light switch on and off again quickly as this will rest the sensor to operate as normal once more, but doing so hasn't affected anything. The lights stay on regardless until you manually turn them off again at the switch.

So, any advice is appreciated. I rather not have to call out an electrician on such a minor issue...

cheers
Sean

With mine to reset it you do the opposite of what your friend suggested. Turn it off wait a few to five seconds then turn it on again - so slowly not quickly. The light will turn on at first but will go out after the timer has expired.

With mine to reset it you do the opposite of what your friend suggested. Turn it off wait a few to five seconds then turn it on again - so slowly not quickly. The light will turn on at first but will go out after the timer has expired.

I contacted Clipsal themselves about this via their webpage. Because it's on warranty (only 4 months old) they've offered to replace it and get a new one installed - all for free! :)

I contacted Clipsal themselves about this via their webpage. Because it's on warranty (only 4 months old) they've offered to replace it and get a new one installed - all for free! :)

Well I guess that solves the problem!

Hi, I have to create a Days Alive calculator that takes into account that each month has a different number of days. The result should be displayed as iDaysAlive (days alive). Are your able to help?
The user is required to enter their day, month, and year or birth aswell as the current day, month, and year manually.

Hi, I have to create a Days Alive calculator that takes into account that each month has a different number of days. The result should be displayed as iDaysAlive (days alive). Are your able to help?
Yes, I can help. Is it just a function call for a command line Java program?

Back