Skip to main content

2014 Media Articles Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RR: I thought Michael and Estelle hooked up after he saw some outside footage of himself when he realised that he was looking bad, and it leads to my next question that I have noticed in the last two seasons that the contestants appear to be much more aware or sophisticated about how they are going to be perceived by the public and about how they need to drive plot lines. Do you find that?

Chris: Yes it is true. They are much more sophisticated, we started off in 2001 and we are in 2014 with a three year break. A lot of them are students of Big Brother and they are also not stupid and they have watched enough Big Brother to know what’s entertaining and what goes in the show and what people like to see, they absolutely do have an awareness of what ends up on the screen. The beauty of the Big Brother format is you might think you have a game plan and think you know everything and think are going to deliver this and deliver that but you just can’t sustain it for that period of time. If I go in deciding I am going to be nice guy Chris and that’s going to be my persona and I am going to fall in love with someone, that is fine but you would be lucky to last a week. Once you get inside that house it really is the cliche pressure cooker. It starts to put pressure on people and often liken it to an office. Someone is new at work and the first day they arrive at work everyone is smiling and sweet, but by week four people have started to make their opinions, people have started to drop their guard, people have started to get irritated at people. You can go in with a game plan but it is impossible to keep that up for a great length of time. Yes you can have a plan and yes people are more aware of story lines, and plot lines we might want, but once again I go back to this predictability thing that is not what will end up being interesting to us, the producers or to the viewers. We look for stuff that is genuinely unscripted drama.

RR: Do you look at what people are saying on social media like Facebook and Twitter or blogs and move the story line or editing a bit to reflect what they are saying or who they are liking or disliking?

Chris: My colleague Alex Mavroidakis is the Executive Producer, I am most of the time inside the Big Brother world inside the edit suite and so are my colleagues who make the show on a daily basis, and we make 90 minute to one hour shows day after day after day. We don’t have time to get into what people are saying in the outside world. Alex on the other hand will keep an eye across that because obviously the perception of the outside world, we can’t work in a vacuum here we should listen to what people are picking up on and what they love but that is a secondary thing. Our world is the world of that house and the politics, the loves and dramas of the house and what the outside world thinks of that is interesting but it is not what drives it.

RR: I know Bravo has plot lines can be swayed by what people are saying on social media for some of their shows but they have a much longer lead in time.

Chris: Obviously if the entire internet is talking about Tully and Drew and it is going off… for a start they will be talking about it because it is already in the show and we pretty much know it is a story, but there are some things that are not as big as that and you find out that are intriguing everybody and you would make a note to extra eye out for it but usually we are leading what the story is and we are setting the agenda.

RR: I did have a bit of an epiphany last year when I realised that particularly older women with kids just can’t even drive a plot line. They can’t crack on to someone and they also have this pressure they place on themselves about being a role model for their children so they are not going to douse themselves in tequila and get naked and dance. What advice would you give to an older person on how to create a plot line on the show?

Chris: We have had older people in there and mothers in there and they do tend to get swallowed up by the young peoples world. It is a bit like being an older person at a party, you think you can get down with the crowd but you do end up in the kitchen but you do end up in the kitchen with the old persons. It is young not too young 31 to 32 but once you start getting to mother’s with kids like Sharon last year. I remember one scene where she was saying “I’m crying, I don’t care what is happening here, but I don’t want my kids to get upset seeing me cry on TV.” That is a good example of how they are not really foot loose and fancy free if they have to worry about that their husbands are watching who they are having a glass of champagne with, or children seeing them get upset.

RR: Or viewers saying OMG she is flirting with another guy. Viewers putting morality on the mother.

Chris: We in the world love to observe and we also love to judge even though we say we don’t judge, we do. If a housewife was sitting up late and was having a glass of wine with one of the young hotties. She would be conscious we would be thinking “Is there something happening here?”. That is the sort of intrigue this sort of show is brilliant for. Our minds are always ticking when we are watching it. If the producers put a scene in of the mother having a glass of wine a 2.ooam they are are going to think “what is happening here”, maybe something is happening or maybe nothing.

RR: Speaking of alcohol, you guys seem to be rationing it since it came to Network NINE. There are strict rations on how much alcohol goes into the house each night?

Chris: I liken it to a dinner party. It is fine to have a little bit of alcohol so they loosen up a bit. Once you get the guy who has had 15 glasses of beer at the dinner party and he is slurring his words and he is saying stuff unintelligibly they are not interesting anymore. With alcohol we are always wary of if you go too far with it it goes from being something that is interesting to people that are not making any sense. A drunken housemate is not interesting. The other thing is the health and safety side of things.

RR: Live feeds, I presume they are not coming back this year.

Chris: That’s correct.

RR: You read the criticism that occurred in the USA of Big Brother where the editing wasn’t showing a girl, Aryyan making the racist, homophobic comments and it the social media out cry that went mainstream that made the show do a montage of what she had been saying and she was soon eliminated from the house. That is where me and the readers of this blog think has there been times where you have manipulated a character to look better or worse then they actually are?

Chris: Let’s say an unconstructed housemate was sitting down there and they started staying things about Aboriginals, you can’t broadcast that because it is raw racism. You get criticised for being racist and tasteless and probably justifiably so. We have to censor the worst of people. Sometimes it is too bad for TV, we simply can’t show it nor would we be thanked for showing it. So in that sense we do. It is not warts and all it is as close to warts and all that we can get it in good taste.

RR: Big Brother is screening later for a few weeks due to The Block are we going to get a bit more raunch or raunchy conversations.

Chris: The problem we have this is that these show get replayed at different times. Whereas we are going later we still have to be mindful that if it is repeated on GO at 5.00pm we have to be aware of children watching. We can have good adult conversations and we can have people in bikinis and people falling in love and cuddling in bed. The topics can still be adult and enthralling, but the PG rating has to stay for that reason. (cont'd)

RR: You have been in Big Brother for sometime, who were the contestants that surprised you, that popped when they walked into the house and the ones who did not go as well as you thought they would?

Chris: I can answer the first one. I have not seen a better housemate then Tim [Dormer]. His whole personality was made for Big Brother. He was clever he was funny, he knew how the game went. He played the game overtly and covertly. He was brilliant. The only thing I would say this year that maybe he dominated to a point that you would tune in and see a whole heap of Tim every night and this year we might have a better spread as we don’t have the dominate force that he was there. To your second question, the people that win and obviously there are exceptions to this. I always say I don’t care who wins as usually the winner is not the person who gave us the best material or who Australia fell in love with. The winner is often palatable to a wide range of people as opposed to who really set the show on fire.

RR: Why should my readers watch this season of Big Brother?

Chris: Anecdotally, last year, we got people saying to Alex and I, they said it was an interesting, articulate, cast. It was a good soap opera to follow. We cast now for people who are intelligent, I am not talking about Rhode Scholars but people who can hold a conversation and have good opinions. All the other stuff the argument and the falling in love would happen with any group of people. But we have a bottom line that these people can think to a level that makes it interesting for television. They have to be articulate and they have to have opinions. This year we will continue in that trend. Last year we had a terrific cast and this year we have gone for the same qualities that we think gets a good soap opera going. We put them in there and then we get surprise.

RR: Last year was definitely entertaining. I really enjoyed watching it.

Chris: We got that a lot of feedback last year that these guys are cool. We did not get why did you put those show offs in the house or wannabees. I was not getting “we were getting turned off by them and their need for attention”.

RR: Apart from Tully and her wailing of course.

Chris: It was funny with Tully, last year she would cry a couple of times a day, tear galore and I remember going into the edit suite early one morning and a producer saying “We’ve got another scene with Tully crying, and I think we’ve had enough.” I said “We’ve definitely had enough. Let’s drop that scene.” We smiled and said “I think we might be the first reality TV producers in the history of the genre to actually throw out a scene of someone having a tearful meltdown on TV!”. We basically had too much.

RR: I am going to wrap it up. Firstly if any of the contestants say the blog Reality Ravings please don’t edit it out. But would you go on a reality TV show and if so which one.

Chris: I can tell you with the three months ahead I am about to have, I would much rather be in that house sitting around the pool sipping wine and going to the gym each day even if there were cameras around me. I think it would be a wonderful, wonderful holiday.

http://www.realityravings.com/2014/...producer-chris-blackburn-talks-all-things-bb/

‘I know I get on people’s nerves’: Unapologetic Fiery Redhead unveiled as the next Big Brother housemate in new video

As fans gear up for the launch of this year’s Big Brother on Monday night, just who exactly is going into the house still largely remains a mystery.
On Wednesday night, Producers released a new promo video introducing the fourth contestant, an unapologetic Fiery Redhead.
‘If I was to describe myself in three words it would be “six foot six”’ she laughed.

Fans on the Behind Big Brother Forum have uncovered the identity of this mysterious Fiery Redhead as Gemma Kinghorn from Boulder, WA.

Former Big Brother winner Tim Dormer confirmed her identity, saying: 'This chick was throughout my audition rounds in 2013.'
'She got really mad when the first thing I asked her was does her carpet match the drapes! Haha, it was the first thing I thought of where my eyeline was…she’s VERY tall.' he joked.

Gemma's height has been called into question with her Twitter and Instagram handles being @gemma6foot5 but either way, she's sure to tower over her housemates, as she did at auditions.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2742175/Unapologetic-Fiery-Redhead-unveiled-Big-Brother-housemate-new-video.html#ixzz3CGbo9w9r

‘I know I get on people’s nerves’: Unapologetic Fiery Redhead unveiled as the next Big Brother housemate in new video

As fans gear up for the launch of this year’s Big Brother on Monday night, just who exactly is going into the house still largely remains a mystery.
On Wednesday night, Producers released a new promo video introducing the fourth contestant, an unapologetic Fiery Redhead.
‘If I was to describe myself in three words it would be “six foot six”’ she laughed.
Fans on the Behind Big Brother Forum have uncovered the identity of this mysterious Fiery Redhead as Gemma Kinghorn from Boulder, WA.

'She got really mad when the first thing I asked her was does her carpet match the drapes! Haha, it was the first thing I thought of where my eyeline was…she’s VERY tall.' he joked.
Gemma's height has been called into question with her Twitter and Instagram handles being @gemma6foot5 but either way, she's sure to tower over her housemates, as she did at auditions.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2742175/Unapologetic-Fiery-Redhead-unveiled-Big-Brother-housemate-new-video.html#ixzz3CGbo9w9r

Literally as we're all frantically scouring the net the Daily Mail interns are frantically pressing refresh.

At least they link.

Those DM journos must've had smoke coming out of their computers. wtf that's the quickest article jack of our detective work that I've seen yet.

haha @Consuela I hadn't seen your post when I replied. Seriously they must have blisters on their fingers. But you're right... at the least they give credit where it's due.

They may have had the first part of their article ready to go, just waiting for us to continue the as yet unbroken successes of e-stalking each of the promo'd housemates. Oddly enough, Daily Mail Australia isn't yet following @.behindbb on Twitter ;)

They may have had the first part of their article ready to go, just waiting for us to continue the as yet unbroken successes of e-stalking each of the promo'd housemates. Oddly enough, Daily Mail Australia isn't yet following @.behindbb on Twitter ;)
Ah that could be it. With all the resources they have at their disposal, they should be making a donation to the Paypal fund if they're just going to sit back and wait for people here to do the work for them.

On another note, I'm thinking next year Alex should just give up with this whole cat and mouse game he has with these promos. There's no point in all of this secrecy anymore because social media will always bite him in the ass one way or another despite their best efforts to close things down. Google caches everything so nothing is ever truly gone and it's not like people wouldn't watch the launch night if they knew the HMs names. They do already. I was thinking the other day that because I'm not from here originally and my social media stuff is already airtight (and barely used these days) that it'd be hard for the crew here to find me but really all it takes is one person I know, even just an acquaintance, to see the ad and go online to say they know me. It's not like you can warn people before you go into lockdown to keep their mouths shut so it all seems rather pointless on his part.

Obvious, the writing is so appalling it reads like a romance novel, 'lustrous/luscious locks' being a favourite and used daily - lately for Jade's straw extensions, and even used for Tully's funny looking hair. DM reporter looks about 14.
They write like my old shithouse film reviews I was told to produce from press releases, we went to printers monthly, and we never saw the movies we reviewed :)

Oh and I came here to post this, something as a nice warm up for the onslaught of famewhores next week:)

The show below is on ABC iview, don't miss it.
It explains so much about BB HMs and anyone who thinks they should be famous for nothing, awesome show.

Fame, Lies And Sex Tape

Series 1 | Episode 2

Sabour Bradley becomes the manager of a fame wannabe and flies to Hollywood where his client is tested by the lure of sex tapes. #HeadFirst
http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/head-first/DO1133V002S00

I can't stand Sebour Bradley - such a Louis Theroux wannabe but without a shred of Louis' charm or wit. He is so full of his own agenda in these shows - yech. Not a fan.

Literally as we're all frantically scouring the net the Daily Mail interns are frantically pressing refresh.

At least they link.

I thought the exact same thing. The article is dated at 4:30am.

I think their journos have quotas or something so they're scurrying around the internet 24/7 to find stuff.

But yes I'm grateful they linked.

Hi DM journos, love you <3

Big Brother Australia: The three best housemates ever

A BOGAN from Tasmania, a retired AFL player and a frizzy-haired troublemaker ... these are the three former Big Brother contestants that have most impressed the show’s executive producer over the past ten seasons.
The reality show is about to invade our screens once again, kicking off on Monday night on Channel 9 after The Block.
This year, as they do every year, they’re promising that they’ve selected the best group of housemates ever, but can any of this year’s bunch edge their way into the top three housemates of all time?
Here’s who Alex Mavroidakis, executive producer of Big Brother, says are the best of the best so far:

Tim Dormer:
319255-79a626be-3319-11e4-b925-f4810cf84ea5.jpg

Tim Dormer won BB last year. Source: Channel 9

“Tim changed the way the Big Brother game is played because he went in there and he absolutely drove our content all day long,” said Mavroidakis.
“I suspect very strongly that he knew that Drew and Jade were a fake couple but he went along with it for the good of the show. I suspect very strongly that he wanted to give Tahan her hair dryer back but he chose the ice cream for the good of the show.
“He was thinking like a producer the whole time and that makes it very, very convenient for us because he would drive our content and he knew when to pull back, he knew where the line was.
“When it was the Tim show he knew that it was the Tim show and when it wasn’t the Tim show he pulled back and let someone else have their dancing space. That was very convenient for us and so he was terrific and a worthy winner.”

- Ryan “Fitzy” Fitzgerald:
319305-1b824838-3319-11e4-b925-f4810cf84ea5.jpg

Fitzy was on BB in 2004. Source: News Corp Australia

“He was just so funny and it’s really hard to find someone who is just funny by their very nature,” said Mavroidakis.
“Even when he was crying in the house, having a bad day, he would still be funny. It’s really hard to find that sort of person. He was the star of that show.”
3 - Regina “Reggie” Bird (now Reggie Sorensen):
319384-56fcada4-3319-11e4-b925-f4810cf84ea5.jpg

Reggie won BB in 2003. Source: News Corp Australia

“Reggie is arguably the most popular housemate we’ve ever had,” said Mavroidakis.
“She was the sort of housemate that you’d die for today because reality television contestants are so savvy in this day and age and the naivety of them coming out of the house with the crowd cheering and they would go ‘oh my god I can’t believe it,’ is kind of gone because they absolutely expect it now.
“Reggie was so naive, was so real, was so genuine and her life changed for the three months that she was in the house. It changed the way she thought about the world.
“It was journey and it’s a horrible cliche but she had a journey in the Big Brother house and she changed as person in front of our eyes and I think almost four million people watched her win which is unheard of in today’s figures. It was an honour to watch that series play out.”
318914-eb3b80fa-3321-11e4-b925-f4810cf84ea5.jpg

Sonia Kruger is back as host this year. Source: Supplied

One person who didn’t make this list (but probably should have) is me! I was recently invited to spend a night in the Big Brother house with a mix of media people and randoms to experience what this year’s housemates will go through.
I won’t bore you with the details of how it felt to shower while being filmed (lets be honest, it wasn’t the first time) and I won’t crap on about how I formed a lifelong bond with some of the other housemates (mainly because I didn’t) but feel free to watch the video of “my journey”.

watch the video of “my journey”.
319438-3693d9c2-331c-11e4-b925-f4810cf84ea5.jpg

That’s me checking out the backyard. Source: Supplied

319464-35dfc0d6-331c-11e4-b925-f4810cf84ea5.jpg

Having a laugh with 2Day FM’s Jules Lund and B105’s Stav. Source: Supplied

320518-677ffa5e-331f-11e4-b925-f4810cf84ea5.jpg

Giggles all round thanks to sassy housemate Kieran. Source: Supplied

320184-33891828-331c-11e4-b925-f4810cf84ea5.jpg

I think I was making a toast ... to my toast. Source: Supplied

320570-683d2872-331f-11e4-b925-f4810cf84ea5.jpg

Housemates have to do their own washing. Fair enough. Source: Supplied

320598-3455c6de-331c-11e4-b925-f4810cf84ea5.jpg

Inside the angelic diary room. Source: Supplied
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/big-brother-australia-the-three-best-housemates-ever/story-fn8yvfst-1227047320236

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back