Skip to main content

What would Reepbot say (4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is something special about olden movies in black and white. like in terms of the pacing and the interesting shots they did make. i should watch more of them.

anyway, the best moment on tv was when Lynda Day, from press gang, tough Lynda who always has an answer for everything and seems to be quite together from the outside looking in, becomes a socially awkward mess when asked to make small talk at a party to further her career in the newsroom business.

why was it so good? because it showed another side to the greatest fictional character of all time.

there is something special about olden movies in black and white. like in terms of the pacing and the interesting shots they did make. i should watch more of them.

As a kid and in my teens I was a bit obsessed by the wonderful style of the 20s/30s, art deco is divine......and the movies of Ginger and Fred.....and I bought vintage clothes from that era, at Vic market, old ladies had a stall selling gorgeous 20s stuff cheap.
And I tap danced

And the films of Frank Capra, and other "screwball comedies".....check some of those out.....they are genius

This one....is brilliant
MV5BMTYzYzY0YzgtN2ZhNy00MjNiLTk1NTYtYTQ2M2E3NjJiOWYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

A man from a family of rich snobs becomes engaged to a woman from a good-natured but decidedly eccentric family.

And this one.....
MV5BZDVlNTBjMjctNjAzNS00ZGJhLTg2NzMtNzIwYTIzYTBiMDkyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

10 great screwball comedy films
Emerging in the 1930s, screwball comedies were a wild new strain of fast-talking farces involving battles of the sexes and a world forever on the brink of chaos. Here are 10 of the best places to start.

Flourishing in the 1930s and early 40s, screwball comedies were a breed of quick-talking romantic farces that fused silliness with sophistication in ways that still have the power to stupefy audiences. How can we keep up with dialogue that goes so fast? Or with an urbane wit that takes no prisoners?

Modern films by directors such as the Coens or David O. Russell that have explicitly attempted something like the speed and panache of films like Bringing Up Baby (1938) or The Miracle of Morgan’s Creek (1943) have looked sadly laboured. Screwball’s effervescence seems impossible to recapture.

It needed a time and a place. The time was the Great Depression, when – as is so often stated – audiences were in need of escapism to glitzier worlds. The place was Hollywood and an industry that wasn’t taking long to get used to talking pictures, finding a generation of writers (often from the New York theatre or European émigrés) who would seize the opportunity to get smart talk into the movies.

Their scripts typically involved battles of the sexes, or what critic Stanley Cavell called ‘comedies of remarriage’, with hapless men often caught up in the whirlwinds of feisty women. Circumstance, coincidence, fortune and misfortune show their successive cards with a logic, wit and lightness of touch rarely seen since the comedies of Shakespeare or Beaumarchais.

The women were Claudette Colbert, Carole Lombard, Katharine Hepburn, Barbara Stanwyck and Irene Dunne. The man might have been Cary Grant (in which case things got really good), Fred MacMurray, Gary Cooper or Clark Gable. And one of the joys of watching screwball comedies is getting to recognise all the supporting players who recur in these films’ helter-skelter worlds: the roll call includes Eugene Pallette, Franklin Pangborn, Edward Everett Horton, Mary Astor, Ralph Bellamy, William Demarest and Melville Cooper.

While a product of the west coast’s industry, screwball comedies were more often set on America’s eastern seaboard or in the midwest. Two films in 1934 are said to have kickstarted the screwball wave: It Happened One Night, which takes place during a trip from Florida to New York, and Howard Hawks’s Twentieth Century, named after and taking place on the train that runs between Chicago and New York. Florida figures often, usually with gold-diggers in tow. And more than one classic screwball takes time out in Connecticut or Vermont.

The map is partially drawn, but which are the 10 essential screwball comedies?

Go here for the list
https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/lists/10-great-screwball-comedies

And Capra movies, he is the best
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls063609779/

i should really get more into screwball comedies considering that the tv shows i like kind of borrow from that genre (feisty woman-= lynda day), but not like a hundred percent borrow from it.

shows like moonlighting i think borrow heavily from that genre.

Reactions: kxk
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back