Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

I would like your opinions on mandatory vaccinations for workplaces in Victoria.

As some of you may know, I work in a small accountancy practice and on Friday one of our staff informed me that they have not been vaccinated and do not intend to do so in the foreseeable future. She added that she was not an anti-vaxxer but was uncomfortable with the current vaccines and should another vaccine become available she would consider it.

My question is...are we allowed to continue employing her? All the long-winded things I have read are confusing and not specific although in the middle of all the gobbledygook one thing caught my eye 'anyone who does not work at home must be vaccinated'.

Does anyone here think that everyone in Victoria must be vaccinated if they do not work from home?

I would like your opinions on mandatory vaccinations for workplaces in Victoria.

As some of you may know, I work in a small accountancy practice and on Friday one of our staff informed me that they have not been vaccinated and do not intend to do so in the foreseeable future. She added that she was not an anti-vaxxer but was uncomfortable with the current vaccines and should another vaccine become available she would consider it.

My question is...are we allowed to continue employing her? All the long-winded things I have read are confusing and not specific although in the middle of all the gobbledygook one thing caught my eye 'anyone who does not work at home must be vaccinated'.

Does anyone here think that everyone in Victoria must be vaccinated if they do not work from home?
I think there will be conversations in many offices around Melbourne like this - there was a similar one in a team meeting the other day for my work. My office is all currently working form home, and we got a message from the landlords of the building saying it itis mandatory for all tennants to be vaccinated to come into the building, even though it has not yet become an organisational mandiate to be vaccinated. So if someone did not want to be what would that mean? If they were to stay employed and work from home is that then unfair to other people who would like to be working from hom and are being forced to go back into an office environment? There is such a can of worms.

In answer to your question - can this person do their job from home until she gets vaccinated? It may be that is what would need to happen. My understanding from what I have read of the rules is that any job that involves interacting with others means mandatory vaccination. So if her role dies involve interacting with others and she would need to be in the office, then the other option may be to find her an alternative job role until she is vaccinated. But these options may have consequences of others in the office thinking she is getting preferential treatment, and wanting thier own special conditions.

In answer to your question - can this person do their job from home until she gets vaccinated? It may be that is what would need to happen. My understanding from what I have read of the rules is that any job that involves interacting with others means mandatory vaccination. So if her role dies involve interacting with others and she would need to be in the office, then the other option may be to find her an alternative job role until she is vaccinated. But these options may have consequences of others in the office thinking she is getting preferential treatment, and wanting thier own special conditions.
No, she cannot work from home. We use specialized software that is licensed to specific computers and those computers are PCs. And in any case my husband does not allow sensitive information to leave our office. There are no positions in our practice where this is not the case.

Unfortunately, it seems we will have to let her go.

No, she cannot work from home. We use specialized software that is licensed to specific computers and those computers are PCs. And in any case my husband does not allow sensitive information to leave our office. There are no positions in our practice where this is not the case.

Unfortunately, it seems we will have to let her go.
If it comes to that make absolutely sure you do it by the book so there's no possible blowback. Obviously that's why you've asked for clarification, but this probably isn't the best place for it.

This is worth a look: https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/find-legal-answers/covid-19-coronavirus/mandatory-vaccines-and-work

If it comes to that make absolutely sure you do it by the book so there's no possible blowback. Obviously that's why you've asked for clarification, but this probably isn't the best place for it.

This is worth a look: https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/find-legal-answers/covid-19-coronavirus/mandatory-vaccines-and-work
Thanks for the link but it is one of the many I've already read to try and get my head around the situation.

The thing is we are not forcing her to get vaccinated but it seems the Vic government is. We don't want to let her go as she is a good worker but it seems we have no choice. I'll ring our lawyers in the morning for advice. Thanks for your thoughts.

Interesting review on media. Perrottet opens at 500 cases and is criticised by The Project and ABC. Dan opens at 2000 cases and is praised by these media sources.

Anyone else want to tell me that The Project does not have a lefty bias? Sorry to say but it is leftist propaganda. Same with the ABC.

I always thought "The Project" was a lefty bias show since it started back in 2009. Like I mentioned somewhere ages ago here the only time it becomes a little bit right leaning is when they have Steve Price as a guest on the show one day a week. Well that was how it worked when I last watched it many years ago anyway...lol

Anyone with even some intelligence can see that Andrews is a dictator. Poor Victorians, living under this police state.

Sure%20Jan-thumb-700x391-216223.gif

I wonder if tourism will drop off in Melbourne because no one wants to get beaten by the Nazi like police?

Whatever online echo chamber you're in. Or whatever websites you're visiting. I really think you need to take a break from it. Do you really think you're benefiting from being worked up about what you think is going on somewhere you don't live? Even if what you're being fed was true. What benefit is it to you to be so focused on it?

Take a break from it. You'll be doing yourself a favour. Do you have any therapist, doctor or counsellor you can talk to?

Things are opening up here. I will spend the cup weekend down on the coast. I haven't interacted with the police a single time since this pandemic started. The one time I saw a lot of them was because they were looking for a missing person in the river. Not a police state crackdown. Most people are just living their lives. Lockdown was shitty but it's ending.

I have spent the morning looking at Jetstar flight deals trying to figure out if there's an international trip I want to do (can't really find anything that seems worth it. Fiji & Bali aren't the best in Summer and I want something within the next 3 months. I did find something I would love to do, but it's more than I am willing to pay. NZ Sub Antarctic islands). Is that something someone living under an oppressive police state, locked down, fearing having their head bashed in would be doing? Of course not.

It's easy to get over-focused on something online. Most of us have had our versions of it. There's a point where you just need to steap back and realise it isn't a priority for you in your life. You're derriving no benefit for it. Even if you think it's some major global concern. It's only impacting your daily life by going online and focussing on it. You'll feel a benefit from stepping back. Even if just a few days. Go outside. Find something else to focus on, or not to focus on. Relax.

Whatever online echo chamber you're in. Or whatever websites you're visiting. I really think you need to take a break from it. Do you really think you're benefiting from being worked up about what you think is going on somewhere you don't live? Even if what you're being fed was true. What benefit is it to you to be so focused on it?

Take a break from it. You'll be doing yourself a favour. Do you have any therapist, doctor or counsellor you can talk to?

Things are opening up here. I will spend the cup weekend down on the coast. I haven't interacted with the police a single time since this pandemic started. The one time I saw a lot of them was because they were looking for a missing person in the river. Not a police state crackdown. Most people are just living their lives. Lockdown was shitty but it's ending.

I have spent the morning looking at Jetstar flight deals trying to figure out if there's an international trip I want to do (can't really find anything that seems worth it. Fiji & Bali aren't the best in Summer and I want something within the next 3 months. I did find something I would love to do, but it's more than I am willing to pay. NZ Sub Antarctic islands). Is that something someone living under an oppressive police state, locked down, fearing having their head bashed in would be doing? Of course not.

It's easy to get over-focused on something online. Most of us have had our versions of it. There's a point where you just need to steap back and realise it isn't a priority for you in your life. You're derriving no benefit for it. Even if you think it's some major global concern. It's only impacting your daily life by going online and focussing on it. You'll feel a benefit from stepping back. Even if just a few days. Go outside. Find something else to focus on, or not to focus on. Relax.

There's a sense of doom surrounding the once great state of Victoria, especially around Melbourne. A grey cloud of utter misery and hopelessness. Dictator Dan has extinguished the light that guided Victoria into a better future and instead plunged that state into eternal darkness.

He's trolling for reactions. And you bit. Just ignore him.

Back