Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Oh how incredibly fortunate for you… 🙄

Yet 10% of us are still locked up in our homes under the Dictator’s orders. If you think lockdown is ending, you have no idea. It doesn’t end until it ends for everyone. Until then we will be a segregated society.
You are not locked up. As a consequence of waiting until a specific vaccine you want becomes available you are choosing to "segregate" yourself.
Whilst I have been anxious on what they were going to announce I am pleased they are going with a sensible staged opening.with some quarantine in place to start. Depending on what happens I may get to see my family soon :)

This is segregation. I think people need to read the dictionary meaning from sources before commenting that it is not. Here is one source that explains it well:

Seen many others online as well.

Once the vaccinated rate is over 90% eligible double dosed and the rate starts to slow. Maybe even before then, you'll be allowed to go get a haircut. At the moment the focus on "get double dosed so you can get a parma and a pot at the pub" is about getting the final few on the fence who can be convinced to get it.

I am less positive about this unfortunately.

His road map for hairdressers ends at the 80% double vaccinated where all clients must be fully vaccinated. He already said venues like pubs, clubs, bars, hairdressers etc will only be for the vaccinated until well into 2022 and potentially even 2023. I doubt that position will change.

Must be nice in that ivory tower, Isee.
This is what my ivory tower is like...

As a consequence of my decision to live in this country and continue to live here when the pandemic hit I have been "segregated" from my family for over two years. At times, I have been locked out my own country. Due to their age and the fact my dad had chemo in the last couple of years I was not going to travel until we were all vaccinated.

I have also been locked out of the state where I am employed and from my colleagues. I have not seen (face to face) the people I talk to on a daily basis since Feb 2020.

These are things that I can do very little to change. So when I see someone complaining about something that is actually due to a choice that is in their control I do wish they could get some perspective.

You mentioned you wish people who had a choice in their own control could get perspective. Yet you chose to not visit your family due to wanting all of them (including yourself) vaccinated. Additionally you chose not to use the travel bubble arrangement that was offered. You also mentioned that you could do very little to change what has happened except that is not entirely accurate as you exercised your choice. Hence, your post is quite hypocritical.

The only main difference here is that the governments did not prevent you from travelling to New Zealand and did not prevent you from not using the travel bubble arrangement. Perhaps they delayed you from getting the vaccine in time but that is me speculating. However, people like me who do not want a forced medical procedure are excluded from society and work due to the government power and law. The two system society is segregation full stop.

Last edited:
You mentioned you wish people who had a choice in their own control could get perspective. Yet you chose to not visit your family due to wanting all of them (including yourself) vaccinated. Additionally you chose not to use the travel bubble arrangement that was offered. You also mentioned that you could do very little to change what has happened except that is not entirely accurate as you exercised your choice. Hence, your post is quite hypocritical.

The only main difference here is that the governments did not prevent you from travelling to New Zealand and did not prevent you from not using the travel bubble arrangement. Perhaps they delayed you from getting the vaccine in time but that is me speculating. However, people like me who do not want a forced medical procedure are excluded from society and work due to the government power and law. The two system society is segregation full stop.
The day after my parents got their second vaccine Auckland went into lockdown. (the one they are still in). They got vaccine as soon as they were offered it. I was vaccinated two weeks prior to that.

I think we are best to agree to disagree on this one - I don't agree your assessment on my situation, and you don't agree with my assessment of yours. I just hope for your sake that Novovax gets approved and available soon so you are not in this situation for too long.

The day after my parents got their second vaccine Auckland went into lockdown. (the one they are still in). They got vaccine as soon as they were offered it. I was vaccinated two weeks prior to that.

I think we are best to agree to disagree on this one - I don't agree your assessment on my situation, and you don't agree with my assessment of yours. I just hope for your sake that Novovax gets approved and available soon so you are not in this situation for too long.

That timing really sucks. Hopefully cases go down and you can go visit them soon.

Best to agree to disagree, but at least we can agree on the bolded part. 😂

Whoever spoke up against dictatorship is who I am in this thread. Or either I'm the Estelle of this thread. Whichever is more appropriate.

I was shopping at my regular Coles last week and I have a regular chat with the check out person every week. Anyway this person I remember did not want to get vaccinated when I spoke to them around 6 months ago and well we never talked about the vaccine ever since. Last week I asked him what's happening to you guys working here do you have to get vaccinated now? He told me that he was told (after working for Coles for 13 years now) that if he didn't get vaccinated he would be sacked from his job, so he had no choice but to go and get vaccinated in order to retain his employment. I said so which vaccine did you have he said he's only just had his first shot of Pfizer and was waiting to get his second dose in a few weeks or something. Anyway I said I don't think it's right that it's forced upon you like it has been by this government. Ok many Coles workers are indoor workers but many could argue that many construction workers all work outdoors and there may be less risk for transmission in outdoor jobs? Well not the case with this government here in Victoria they have all been forced to get vaccinated in order for them to work their regular outdoor jobs in construction.

I still can't really understand the whole thing around vaccination. You can be fully vaccinated with this COVID-19 vaccine from whatever company dishes it out and you can still contract the virus and also spread it onto others around you. They say that it lowers your chances of catching and transmitting the virus which I don't know how accurate this information really is. You hear the news about the UK and other places at the moment where I think most are fully vaccinated and everything is open and now the virus is running rampant and spreading rapidly again and they are thinking about imposing more restrictions again as they can't control it?

If you look at what's happening in other countries it would seem that even getting as many vaccinated as possible your still screwed over with this thing...

Anyway I said I don't think it's right that it's forced upon you like it has been by this government. Ok many Coles workers are indoor workers but many could argue that many construction workers all work outdoors and there may be less risk for transmission in outdoor jobs? Well not the case with this government here in Victoria they have all been forced to get vaccinated in order for them to work their regular outdoor jobs in construction.

I still can't really understand the whole thing around vaccination. You can be fully vaccinated with this COVID-19 vaccine from whatever company dishes it out and you can still contract the virus and also spread it onto others around you. They say that it lowers your chances of catching and transmitting the virus which I don't know how accurate this information really is. You hear the news about the UK and other places at the moment where I think most are fully vaccinated and everything is open and now the virus is running rampant and spreading rapidly again and they are thinking about imposing more restrictions again as they can't control it?

If you look at what's happening in other countries it would seem that even getting as many vaccinated as possible your still screwed over with this thing...

I agree, Governments should not have the power to mandate vaccinations. People should be free to choose whether they want it or not, however, they must then accept the consequences (ie. reduced freedoms) that are a result of that choice. Freedom of choice is not freedom from responsibility. However, I do believe that employers should have the right to make it a condition of employment if they so choose. Employers have a responsibility to keep their people safe, so regardless of what business they run, if they want their staff to be vaccinated, then that is their prerogative. People are free to leave that job if that doesn't suit them.

You hear the news about the UK and other places at the moment where I think most are fully vaccinated and everything is open and now the virus is running rampant and spreading rapidly again and they are thinking about imposing more restrictions again as they can't control it?

I'm not fully across the situation in the UK, but there has to be other factors at play there. Sydney has been open for 2 and a half weeks now, and our cases are still hovering around the 300(ish) mark (some days a lot lower). Cases were expected to soar, but thankfully have remained steady. ICU admissions and hospitalisations are also steady. Presumably once the unvaccinated are free on 1st December, ICU & hospitalisation will go up. I know the UK has a bigger population, but over 40,000 cases and 250 deaths a day is insane.

Back