Skip to main content

The Fitbit Cult

1hr 21mins last night for me. Normally I get up around 5:30, but the past 2 days it's been 7am and even that has been a massive struggle. This lack of sleep appears to be really taking it's toll in my old age. Admittedly my routine has been a mess this week and last, which doesn't help.

:yawn::sleep:

So do I. Could it be that not long before napping food is involved and it's just sitting there in our stomachs?
I dunno. Maybe. I've just never been able to nap and wake up feeling refreshed. I've tried varying lengths between 15mins to a couple of hours. Never ends well for me. I haven't thought about it in relation to meal times.

I don't have a fitbit, so I don't know the nitty gritty details of my sleeping patterns, but I average about 5-6 hours sleep a night, sometimes less. I can't do anymore than that. Is that good or bad? Also, does the fitbit help you control your diet? Because that would be cool if it did that.

Also, has anyone ever read The Russian Sleep experiment?

I think the recommended sleep is 7.5 hours for adults, but some people are OK with less so your 5-6 may be fine. It's hard to say, but if you're getting good quality sleep and feeling good in the mornings you may be one of those people. :)

I know someone who was getting 9+ hours a night, but still feeling exhausted in the mornings. During a sleep study it showed that they were rarely achieving the 'deep sleep' stage of the sleep cycle (where your body repairs, regrows tissues etc) or the REM stage, therefore the body wasn't getting a chance to works its magic.

Apparently the first REM stage usually happens 90 minutes after you fall asleep and lasts about 10 minutes. Then there are more 'cycles' throughout the night. It's really interesting stuff!

1hr 21mins last night for me. Normally I get up around 5:30, but the past 2 days it's been 7am and even that has been a massive struggle. This lack of sleep appears to be really taking it's toll in my old age. Admittedly my routine has been a mess this week and last, which doesn't help.

:yawn::sleep:

Ugh. I feel for you, and can't imagine what getting by on that little sleep is like (I'm grateful for my 4.5 hours last night). Here's hoping it improves. :)

I think the recommended sleep is 7.5 hours for adults, but some people are OK with less so your 5-6 may be fine. It's hard to say, but if you're getting good quality sleep and feeling good in the mornings you may be one of those people. :)

I know someone who was getting 9+ hours a night, but still feeling exhausted in the mornings. During a sleep study it showed that they were rarely achieving the 'deep sleep' stage of the sleep cycle (where your body repairs, regrows tissues etc) or the REM stage, therefore the body wasn't getting a chance to works its magic.

Apparently the first REM stage usually happens 90 minutes after you fall asleep and lasts about 10 minutes. Then there are more 'cycles' throughout the night. It's really interesting stuff!

I never feel tired in the mornings or during the day or evenings if that's what 'feeling good' means.

Reached my 10,000.
The last 1500 or so steps were from pacing up & down the yard, I already did bike, treadmill & cross trainer, enough is enough for one day.

Excellent! Soon your entire life will be just basically trying to get 10,000 steps a day! No matter what you do or where you go you will always want to get the 10,000 steps. Because the fitbit is life, and the fitbit is love. The fitbit giveth, and the fitbit taketh away. The fitbit is all powerful, as the lines of fitbit wearing people walk into a giant fitbit watch church and pray to the allmighty fitbit as they count their steps, eac praying and hoping for 10,000 steps for the day. 'We are not worthy!' they wail and cry as they pray to the fitbit god!

Reached my 10,000.
The last 1500 or so steps were from pacing up & down the yard, I already did bike, treadmill & cross trainer, enough is enough for one day.
Well done Meglos. My battery was critically low this morning so I had to put in on charge before I left. I put it back on this afternoon but have only cracked 3600 steps.

Hey that's pretty good @Oswin. Well I think so anyway, not sure if that actually makes it good. I love the breakdown you get on the desktop version, I can't seem to log in anymore though.

I got just under 2.5 hours last night. Technically it was 1 hr and 19 minutes when I woke up, but since it was my day off I decided not to get up at 5:30am like a crazy person so I got in another hours sleep.

I'm so tired currently, normally getting up is a struggle but doable, however this week it's been impossible.

Well done Meglos. My battery was critically low this morning so I had to put in on charge before I left. I put it back on this afternoon but have only cracked 3600 steps.

How long does the charge take to charge? The flex just takes an hour, if it's low in the morning I find just 20 minutes is enough to get me through the day.

I am too obsessed to just forgo wearing it for a day.

How long does the charge take to charge? The flex just takes an hour, if it's low in the morning I find just 20 minutes is enough to get me through the day.

I am too obsessed to just forgo wearing it for a day.
Two hours apparently. I only noticed it was that low when I was running out the door so I couldn't wait for it to be charged.

Two hours apparently. I only noticed it was that low when I was running out the door so I couldn't wait for it to be charged.

Fair enough. I think I'm too obsessed now to forgo knowing exactly how many steps I've taken on any given day, I guess I could always do something drastic like use the pedometer on my phone.

I missed my bus today so took the radical step of walking home instead of waiting half an hour for the next one.
I wasn't really thinking about Fitbit, just getting home, but I was delighted when I checked it and found I'd done 4000 steps already.

Back