Skip to main content

Tahan VS Mikkayla

How does that mean she is a racist? She has experienced racial bullying in the past and I'm sure many other Asians (me included) have felt like how she has in the past. I have been in her position before and wanted to be Caucasian with blonde hair and blue eyes but over the years I've learnt to love myself for who i am even though occasionally I still do wonder. Lets not forget that Mikkayla was an orphan who grew up in a Caucasian family, so there would definitely have been time where she questioned why she wasn't like the rest of her family.
It's obvious that Mikkayla has a lot of insecurities about herself and what she said took a lot of courage and guts, especially on national TV. It makes it worse for Mikkayla when she also has self-image issues about her own body. Tahan doesn't have these problems because she knows that she is good looking.
I'm still supporting Mikkayla because she is real!
One of the best posts I have read in a long time! Thank you

A minority feeling self-loathing because of the racist attitudes they've encountered over the years is NOT racist. I see some people here have no idea what "racism" even is. She doesn't like being Asian because she's self-concious about being constantly "othered" by our Australian society. The problem there is AUSTRALIA'S racist attitudes (as evident by her stories about how she is always spoken down to, asked if she can understand English properly, etc), not Mikkayla's. Notice how when she spoke about her reasons for not liking being Asian, she never at all implied it was because she believed asians were inferior or Caucasians were superior; it ALWAYS came back to how she believed her Asianness fit (or, rather, didn't fit) into caucasian society. It's beautiful that Tahan is proud of her heritage and ethnicity, and ALL people should be able to feel that pride. But if someone hasn't reached the point where they can embrace their racial identity and "otherness" fully, it's not because they're racist. She's only internalising these feelings because she believes that's how society sees her.

How does that mean she is a racist? She has experienced racial bullying in the past and I'm sure many other Asians (me included) have felt like how she has in the past. I have been in her position before and wanted to be Caucasian with blonde hair and blue eyes but over the years I've learnt to love myself for who i am even though occasionally I still do wonder. Lets not forget that Mikkayla was an orphan who grew up in a Caucasian family, so there would definitely have been time where she questioned why she wasn't like the rest of her family.
It's obvious that Mikkayla has a lot of insecurities about herself and what she said took a lot of courage and guts, especially on national TV. It makes it worse for Mikkayla when she also has self-image issues about her own body. Tahan doesn't have these problems because she knows that she is good looking.

A minority feeling self-loathing because of the racist attitudes they've encountered over the years is NOT racist. I see some people here have no idea what "racism" even is. She doesn't like being Asian because she's self-concious about being constantly "othered" by our Australian society. The problem there is AUSTRALIA'S racist attitudes (as evident by her stories about how she is always spoken down to, asked if she can understand English properly, etc), not Mikkayla's. Notice how when she spoke about her reasons for not liking being Asian, she never at all implied it was because she believed asians were inferior or Caucasians were superior; it ALWAYS came back to how she believed her Asianness fit (or, rather, didn't fit) into caucasian society. It's beautiful that Tahan is proud of her heritage and ethnicity, and ALL people should be able to feel that pride. But if someone hasn't reached the point where they can embrace their racial identity and "otherness" fully, it's not because they're racist. She's only internalising these feelings because she believes that's how society sees her.
Two of the best posts I've read. Spot on.

There are so many things that are wrong with your post, I don't know where to begin.

Whilst I agree with you in as much as Mikkayla was not being racist, everything else you point out, is wrong. First of all, you are basically suggesting that all racial minorities are incapable of being racist. A ridiculous notion to say the least. Even as a Caucasian you experience racism at one point or another. Not to mention the fact that Tahan herself is part of a minority group.

Secondly, you seem to be suggesting that pretty people don't have problems. What a terribly naive and bitter statement to make.
I can't even be bothered pointing everything that is wrong with that.

There are so many things that are wrong with your post, I don't know where to begin.

Whilst I agree with you in as much as Mikkayla was not being racist, everything else you point out, is wrong. First of all, you are basically suggesting that all racial minorities are incapable of being racist. A ridiculous notion to say the least. Even as a Caucasian you experience racism at one point or another. Not to mention the fact that Tahan herself is part of a minority group.

Secondly, you seem to be suggesting that pretty people don't have problems. What a terribly naive and bitter statement to make.
I can't even be bothered pointing everything that is wrong with that.
You see there is a big difference between Tahan and Mikkayla. Tahan grew up in Darwin with a mixed multicultural background (Abo, Malay, Chinese, etc.), she's stated herself that racism in Darwin would get you punched walking down the street. She grew up in a family of people who looked like her and were blood related to her. Mikkayla on the other hand grew up in Newcastle to a family who didn't look anything like her, let alone she probably didn't know she was adopted until much later in her life.
I'm not trying to say that racial minorities are incapable of being racist but when you are a racial minority surrounded by a majority of others who are the same race then who is going to get more slack?
I'm merely inferring that Mikkayla certainly struggles more with her issues than Tahan. I definitely know and understand that models have lots of problems themselves (btw I don't include Tahan in this category) and these people have expectations they have to uphold but girls like Mikkayla have to compete with those people who as Tim mentioned look 'unobtainable'. Think of it as Tahan being a hundred metres away from the 'ideal figure' while Mikkayla is a few kilometres back. One has to catch up a lot more than the other and hence more problems.

You see there is a big difference between Tahan and Mikkayla. Tahan grew up in Darwin with a mixed multicultural background (Abo, Malay, Chinese, etc.), she's stated herself that racism in Darwin would get you punched walking down the street. She grew up in a family of people who looked like her and were blood related to her. Mikkayla on the other hand grew up in Newcastle to a family who didn't look anything like her, let alone she probably didn't know she was adopted until much later in her life.
I'm not trying to say that racial minorities are incapable of being racist but when you are a racial minority surrounded by a majority of others who are the same race then who is going to get more slack?
I'm merely inferring that Mikkayla certainly struggles more with her issues than Tahan. I definitely know and understand that models have lots of problems themselves (btw I don't include Tahan in this category) and these people have expectations they have to uphold but girls like Mikkayla have to compete with those people who as Tim mentioned look 'unobtainable'. Think of it as Tahan being a hundred metres away from the 'ideal figure' while Mikkayla is a few kilometres back. One has to catch up a lot more than the other and hence more problems.

Sorry, but how is in any of that relevant? Once again, you are making guesses as to what Tahan and Mikkayla actually think? Are you able to hear their thoughts or what?

What are you basically doing is projecting all of your own prejudices and insecurities on a couple of people on a tv show and saying, "oh, you must be exactly like me or those people i've read about or seen on tv". It's just all a bit illogical and naive.

Sorry, but how is in any of that relevant? Once again, you are making guesses as to what Tahan and Mikkayla actually think? Are you able to hear their thoughts or what?

What are you basically doing is projecting all of your own prejudices and insecurities on a couple of people on a tv show and saying, "oh, you must be exactly like me or those people i've read about or seen on tv". It's just all a bit illogical and naive.
Mikkayla said she hates being Asian and wished she looked more Caucasian. She said that she always felt like the odd one out compared to everyone else around her. I'd say it's a safe bet that mikkayla was the minority here and that's what splashedblue is saying. It's not an assu option as mikkayla openly said all this on tonight's show. So it seems that mikkayla does struggle with her identity.

Regardless, that doesn't mean tahan has not suffered. She seemed pretty emotional talking about racism. It's the first time she has gotten emotional over a topic.

I think which was core at the debate was people focusing too much on the literal dictionary definition meanings of the word 'racism' not the context of what Tahan was actually saying.

You have to look to the context and the meaning behind the words that were said. Not the literal dictionary definition of the words. If this was the case the High Court would never have anything to do.

I wonder why she does Asian accents for comic effect?

I dont who you are talking about, but they were all doing the accent and Tahan was one of them.
Just like we make fun of us Aussies using an ocker accent. No harm with that at all.

I dont who you are talking about, but they were all doing the accent and Tahan was one of them.
Just like we make fun of us Aussies using an ocker accent. No harm with that at all.

Yeah if its light hearted and there's no malice behind the words, then its fine. I make fun my of kiwi accent all the time. I see a lot of comedians like Russel Peters do it as well. Its all lighthearted

Are you stating that you don't relate to any of the housemates on any level? You can't sympathise with them? I was merely replying to your statements you made. The majority of what I wrote is based of the BB website and what the housemates themselves have said.

She seems to have a problem with being Asian though and she has made fun of accents at various different times so I was just wondering. Interesting though if Tahan imitates someone people say she is the devil, but if Mikk does it it's apparently all just fine.

I'll probably be slaughtered after this. But can anyone say they have never put on a accent of any sort? I'll admit, I've put on the Aussie Ocker accent, the asian accent, the British accent, the Indian accent, the Arab accent, the American thug accent, the westie accent (from Sydney), the French accent... The list goes on. I also admit I try and imitate the sound of people's voices. None of it is in a malicious way, it is for comic effect. If I don't know you I definitely would not do it, and I won't do it to friends that might take it personally. Go for it and attack away if you want, but I know I don't do it to be a bitch or anything like that.

I'll probably be slaughtered after this. But can anyone say they have never put on a accent of any sort? I'll admit, I've put on the Aussie Ocker accent, the asian accent, the British accent, the Indian accent, the Arab accent, the American thug accent, the westie accent (from Sydney), the French accent... The list goes on. I also admit I try and imitate the sound of people's voices. None of it is in a malicious way, it is for comic effect. If I don't know you I definitely would not do it, and I won't do it to friends that might take it personally. Go for it and attack away if you want, but I know I don't do it to be a bitch or anything like that.

I'm with you, as long as it's in good fun and not meant in a hurtful way then it's A-OKAY! :D ...it's quite fun hahahaha

Exactly! It's all in the context in determining whether it's right or wrong.

I'm with you, as long as it's in good fun and not meant in a hurtful way then it's A-OKAY! :D ...it's quite fun hahahaha

It is! I'm so glad someone admitted to it. This would have been so awkward otherwise.

Back