Skip to main content

Tahan VS Mikkayla

Um no, what's "core" of this debate is Mikkayla's own words when speaking about why she doesn't like being Asian. Rewind the conversation and you will see it's more than apparent Mikkayla's self-loathing doesn't stem from anything beyond: "I'm sick of dealing with racism and feeling like I stand out, and I want to be white so I don't have to deal with it anymore". It's a misguided view that makes me feel sorry for her, but it's not a racist view. You want to talk about context, so apply it yourself lol.

Yep some people aren't really listening to what Mikkayla actually said. I felt really sorry for her when she was talking about. I'm dark skinned and I have, on many occasions wished I were white due to the way people treat me. I know a lot of people who deep down have felt the same way so I have a lot of admiration for her for being so open about it.

I'm not a Mikkayla fan but what she said wasn't racist. I thought it was at first because it's like she was saying that she wants to be white because that's better or superior in some way, but then I realised that it's just 'easier' being white in Australia because you don't face the racism that some Asians do.

I think you & ding ding ding are merely showing your lack of respect, compassion, & sensitivity with your condescending & belittling comments! One wonders why anyone would want to do that just because people differ in opinion - a sign of maturity is being able to put oneself in another's place & have empathy or understanding even if you don't agree - insecure yourself maybe??

Stop the sanctimonious finger-wagging.

Respect? For whom? Someone we've never met except to watch them on television? Why? On balance, can any objective person say that Mikkayla has done more to earn respect or more to earn criticism, given her crying jags, moaning, constantly marshaling troops against her perceived enemies, etc. etc.? *IF* she is truly this emotionally unstable then why is she participating in BB, even if she passed the HM screening process? Is it helping or hurting her? I give her credit for offering unsolicited support to HMs like Jade but those instances are a fraction of the combative situations that she instigates and escalates. To be fair, editing plays a huge part in what we see but it's also fair to say that if we examine the full arc of Mikkayla's time in the house the last few weeks have seen her feature in an almost unbroken string of emotional exhibitionism. It is possible to simultaneously sympathise with her and criticise her but that isn't what Team Mikkayla typically do....they are cheering her negative traits and behaviour simply because they identify with her for whatever reason.

People who make a rod for their own back are generally not worthy of compassion, respect, sensitivity, etc. We aren't having a go at Mikkayla because others' opinions differ from ours; we are having a go because she's a consenting adult and a HM same as the rest and therefore fair game for the show, the audience and this forum. Her emotional instability and/or your affinity for her does not entitle her to some magical protected status.

Insecure? Show me someone who isn't. But please don't fall back on such a lame, simplistic attempt to stifle discussion especially when - gasp - people differ in opinion. Physician, heal thyself.

Last edited:
Stop the sanctimonious finger-wagging.

Respect? For whom? Someone we've never met except to watch them on television? Why? On balance, can any objective person say that Mikkayla has done more to earn respect or more to earn criticism, given her crying jags, moaning, constantly marshaling troops against her perceived enemies, etc. etc.? I give her credit for offering unsolicited support to HMs like Jade but those instances are a fraction of the combative situations that she instigates and escalates. To be fair, editing plays a huge part in what we see but it's also fair to say that if we examine the full arc of Mikkayla's time in the house the last few weeks have seen her feature in an almost unbroken string of emotional exhibitionism. It is possible to simultaneously sympathise with her and criticise her but that isn't what Team Mikkayla typically do....they are cheering her negative traits and behaviour simply because they identify with her for whatever reason.

People who make a rod for their own back are generally not worthy of compassion, respect, sensitivity, etc. We aren't having a go at Mikkayla because others' opinions differ from ours; we are having a go because she's a consenting adult and a HM same as the rest and therefore fair game for the show, the audience and this forum. Her emotional instability and/or your affinity for her does not entitle her to some magical protected status.

Insecure? Show me someone who isn't. But please don't fall back on such a lame, simplistic attempt to stifle discussion especially when - gasp - people differ in opinion. Physician, heal thyself.

Au contraire - I was responding to the disrespect you showed to people in this forum who happen to be able to like & defend Mikkayla despite her not being perfect. I believe your quote was "I get the distinct impression that Mikkayla is a vehicle for the insecure crowd as they heap praise on her despite her repellent behaviour". That is not any attempt to stifle discussion, but to pit out that your comment was an insult to anyone who says anything positive about Mikkayla. So, take a look in the mirror yourself before hurling insults & wagging your own finger!

When Mikkayla mentioned wanting any attribute of Lucy's, I had a bit of a laugh. Mikkayla really has no idea how much better looking she is than the sisters. She 100% ties it to her background, which is quite sad. She's facially stunning, and at a healthier weight, she'd be a knockout.

I don't respect how she feels about herself, though. I know straight-on Asians do deal with a lot of racism, but that isn't a reason to hate yourself. Stupid people will be stupid, regardless of whether it's towards you or someone/something else. It does suck that white people have "white privilege", but I can't help but respect Tahan's way of viewing her background far far more. I'm sure she's dealt with a bit of racism, too, at the very least.

I'm a mix of 5 different things and although I don't experience what she goes through, I've definitely had to deal with some discrimination or feelings of "standing out". I'm not blonde enough to be a "real Swede", not tan enough to be a "real Hawaiian", etc. Any time anyone has anything ignorant to say, it fuels my love for my background even more. I feel that's how Tahan is as well. Mikkayla not being like that tells me she has some SERIOUS issues. Maybe it goes back to her being abandoned?

When Mikkayla mentioned wanting any attribute of Lucy's, I had a bit of a laugh. Mikkayla really has no idea how much better looking she is than the sisters. She 100% ties it to her background, which is quite sad. She's facially stunning, and at a healthier weight, she'd be a knockout.

I don't respect how she feels about herself, though. I know straight-on Asians do deal with a lot of racism, but that isn't a reason to hate yourself. Stupid people will be stupid, regardless of whether it's towards you or someone/something else. It does suck that white people have "white privilege", but I can't help but respect Tahan's way of viewing her background far far more. I'm sure she's dealt with a bit of racism, too, at the very least.

I'm a mix of 5 different things and although I don't experience what she goes through, I've definitely had to deal with some discrimination or feelings of "standing out". I'm not blonde enough to be a "real Swede", not tan enough to be a "real Hawaiian", etc. Any time anyone has anything ignorant to say, it fuels my love for my background even more. I feel that's how Tahan is as well. Mikkayla not being like that tells me she has some SERIOUS issues. Maybe it goes back to her being abandoned?
I agree with all of this.
And yeah, I think mikkayla is the 3rd most attractive in the house after Tahan and Jade - Her facial structure is just perfect.

I totally understand Miks 'hate' for being Asian and not fitting in. I was talking to my boyfriend last night that I am Mik's polar opposite.

I'm caucasian, blue eyes, blonde hair (before) and grew up in the Philippines. I HATED being the minority, the looks.. the stares, people touching my skin.. People thinking I couldn't speak Tagalog and talking about me. I dyed my hair brown and tried to speak minimal English and just wanted to fit in. Inside I felt like a filipina. (My stepfamily is and they raised me, my father works away)

Fastforward to 2004 when I moved back to Australia, I felt Asian inside. Still kinda do but I like fitting in externally. It's really odd. I often think I'm fat because I compare myself to all the Asians, then have to snap myself out of it and remember that externally I'm not Asian. Got my Aussie accent back too, although there is still some words that people wonder wtf I'm from..

I don't think it's racist at all, she's brought up by a caucasian family and has no ties really to being Asian, she just wants to fit in.

I agree with all of this.
And yeah, I think mikkayla is the 3rd most attractive in the house after Tahan and Jade - Her facial structure is just perfect.

Jade's really pretty and everything, but IMO Mikkayla has a more stunning face. I can't believe her features, sometimes. She and Tahan have the whole "they don't look real" faces, and I mean that in a good way. They look like perfect drawings... haha, that sounds creepy but it's true. Jade is very pretty, but in a very normal way.

I totally understand Miks 'hate' for being Asian and not fitting in. I was talking to my boyfriend last night that I am Mik's polar opposite.

I'm caucasian, blue eyes, blonde hair (before) and grew up in the Philippines. I HATED being the minority, the looks.. the stares, people touching my skin.. People thinking I couldn't speak Tagalog and talking about me. I dyed my hair brown and tried to speak minimal English and just wanted to fit in. Inside I felt like a filipina. (My stepfamily is and they raised me, my father works away)

Fastforward to 2004 when I moved back to Australia, I felt Asian inside. Still kinda do but I like fitting in externally. It's really odd. I often think I'm fat because I compare myself to all the Asians, then have to snap myself out of it and remember that externally I'm not Asian. Got my Aussie accent back too, although there is still some words that people wonder wtf I'm from..

I don't think it's racist at all, she's brought up by a caucasian family and has no ties really to being Asian, she just wants to fit in.

Of course she has ties... she is Asian. She is also Australian. You can be two different things at the same time. Jade would say she's Italian-Australian, as Tahan would say she's Malaysian etc-Australian.

Mikkayla may be looking a little DUMPY in recent weeks, but she's still the prettiest girl in the house.

Jade's really pretty and everything, but IMO Mikkayla has a more stunning face. I can't believe her features, sometimes. She and Tahan have the whole "they don't look real" faces, and I mean that in a good way. They look like perfect drawings... haha, that sounds creepy but it's true. Jade is very pretty, but in a very normal way.

Of course she has ties... she is Asian. She is also Australian. You can be two different things at the same time. Jade would say she's Italian-Australian, as Tahan would say she's Malaysian etc-Australian.

Yes external ties, being brought up here, in an Australian family she feels different to her external features. She's said herself she also doesn't have any interest in locating her birth parents (I think early in the season). I do think she is trying to deny her ties in a sense rather than embracing her differences.

I believe your quote was "I get the distinct impression that Mikkayla is a vehicle for the insecure crowd as they heap praise on her despite her repellent behaviour". That is not any attempt to stifle discussion, but to pit out that your comment was an insult to anyone who says anything positive about Mikkayla.

Truth stings, eh? It usually does.

Wow - such witty repartee. It really becomes you.

Do I really need to point the obvious? Your post came only 2 before mine but in all honesty I didn't see or read it prior to posting. However, having done so it's clear that your reasons for supporting Mikkayla, except for minor differences in wording, fall straight into line with what I posted. It isn't the product of anything positive Mikkayla has said or done (it's a small sample to begin with), merely empathy borne of what you perceive - from a great distance and only through a heavily-edited reality show - to be a shared experience.

In other words, we agree, even if you don't want to admit we agree.

Now....aren't you pleased board harmony has been restored?

I've been a wallflower because of my colour. I'm of a mixed background. It was at a party, I was a teenager. In those days you only got to dance when a boy asks you. I never did , the boys and girls were all Chinese except yours truly. I know how it felt. Mikkayla is a teacher and she should have been more articulate in explaining herself as it is a sensitive issue in hating to be your own race. Perhaps she was trying to flatter the majority who are Caucasians. Whatever she didn't do a good job of self explanation. She even criticized Tahan for her pronunciation.what Tahan said about Mikkayla was true. I can understand where Mikkayla's coming from but she has to learn to accept other people's criticism just as she wants others to listen to her. There is nothing mean here. Her self worth is projected in her hate against Tahan is my opinion. They could have been the best of friends but she just couldn't accept Tahan's direct response to her. She started the whole shebang by telling everyone that Tahan was her least favourite housemate. I bet that could hurt anyone. Mikkayla is a natural beauty she looks good without makeup. I don't envy her her self image. Tahan is comfortable in her own skin, critical yes but still comfortable. Still love the girl.

On and I have to say this Mikkayla has done a good job of inciting a vendetta against Tahan. Her last nomination shows it. She knew she has the back up of the sisters and Jade to nominate Tahan hence her focus on Tully. I've been watching and listening into all the video snippets and she has made unfounded accusations against Tahan. She is like the leader if the pack. The only person in the house not playing a strategic game is Tahan and I really love her for it. She's real, genuine and can be a very nice person and a good friend.you can get past her snipes. Being the eldest of her siblings, its no wonder she has had to be tough. I don't think she has had an easy life growing up at all.

Hmmm. Mik's really shot herself in the foot with her "I hate being Asian" comment.
Just lost 99% of her her Asian fan vote then and there.

Don't know if mikkayla is racist or not, we haven't been shown the full story.

Tahan says mikk tells racist jokes BB will never show us that, not just the voices; and Tahan has been pretty accurate so far

Mikk hating herself, her asianess, is Mikk hating herself - I don't see that as racist, but it is offensive.

And I kind of see how the tension between T/M works.
M hates her heritage, and her entire physical self v Tahan is taught to stand up for her heritage and love herself.

For all Mikk's bitching about Tahan, she wishes she was Tahan, she also recognises Tahan's attitude is the better one to have.
And it's my impression that is why Mikk sound so nasty and venomous when she speaks of Tahan. Tahan just laughs at mikk's digs & that probably pisses her off more.

Tahan will evolve and get tamer, right now she has the right attitude to go out and conquer the world, you need to be a bit arrogant when your young to climb mountains.

I understand Mikk's self loathing, although it is extreme, as a person of mixed race including Chinese, just having black eyes and straight hair made me stick out amongst freckly fair kids.

Mikk & Tahan are the most interesting females in there, but fuck Mikk the hating Asian thing, plus Liberal voting, plus you suck with Clooney, plus your rude, plus the Kevin 07 laugh, calling people dumb a lot, mispronouncing pronunciation whilst lecturing - that one was when you lost me.................your fading into....crap.

Do I really need to point the obvious? Your post came only 2 before mine but in all honesty I didn't see or read it prior to posting. However, having done so it's clear that your reasons for supporting Mikkayla, except for minor differences in wording, fall straight into line with what I posted. It isn't the product of anything positive Mikkayla has said or done (it's a small sample to begin with), merely empathy borne of what you perceive - from a great distance and only through a heavily-edited reality show - to be a shared experience.

In other words, we agree, even if you don't want to admit we agree.

Now....aren't you pleased board harmony has been restored?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but apparently we do not agree. Isn't that what everyone here is doing - making educated assumptions about the HMs based on the limited information we have. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the origins of Mikkayla's insecurity over her heritage come from being adopted into a culture where she is "different". Certainly my or other's experiences may inform our perceptions, but it is common behaviour among children to make fun of (dare I say bully) anyone who is different. This inevitably can lead to wanting to change those aspects of oneself, especially if one is not yet mature enough to embrace those differences. The point here is to merely state that Mikkayla's view of herself is understandable & in no way racist. That does not make me or those who agree with me part of an "insecure crowd as that heaps praise on her despite her repellent behaviour". Of course, I would also argue that I think "repellent" is a rather strong & unfair word to describe Mikkayla (or anyone else in the BB house) when we can only perceive that behaviour "from a great distance and only through a heavily-edited reality show". Perhaps you actually agree with me as you state in this previous post, but it's a little hard to see it when you are making such broad & insulting assumptions about my or anyone else's opinion & their reasons for them. You can feel free to tout whomever you want among the HMs & be assured I won't lump you in with all the others who tout the same one (whether I do or not) as to why you do or insult you in the process.
So, I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Don't know if mikkayla is racist or not, we haven't been shown the full story.

Tahan says mikk tells racist jokes BB will never show us that, not just the voices; and Tahan has been pretty accurate so far

Mikk hating herself, her asianess, is Mikk hating herself - I don't see that as racist, but it is offensive.

And I kind of see how the tension between T/M works.
M hates her heritage, and her entire physical self v Tahan is taught to stand up for her heritage and love herself.

For all Mikk's bitching about Tahan, she wishes she was Tahan, she also recognises Tahan's attitude is the better one to have.
And it's my impression that is why Mikk sound so nasty and venomous when she speaks of Tahan. Tahan just laughs at mikk's digs & that probably pisses her off more.

Tahan will evolve and get tamer, right now she has the right attitude to go out and conquer the world, you need to be a bit arrogant when your young to climb mountains.

I understand Mikk's self loathing, although it is extreme, as a person of mixed race including Chinese, just having black eyes and straight hair made me stick out amongst freckly fair kids.

Mikk & Tahan are the most interesting females in there, but fuck Mikk the hating Asian thing, plus Liberal voting, plus you suck with Clooney, plus your rude, plus the Kevin 07 laugh, calling people dumb a lot, mispronouncing pronunciation whilst lecturing - that one was when you lost me.................your fading into....crap.

You are so right in every aspect. I do believe Mikkayla envies Tahan for everything that she is not.

Back