Skip to main content

Survivor Season 34

There's a massive difference by being outed by viewers googling him and finding out he was trans (which is exactly what happened during his first season), and being outed by a fellow LGBTI tribe member in tribal council in a top rating show. In the first instance, a majority of viewers knew of him only as a gay man due to his "coming out" on the show. The only people who knew he was trans were those who followed Survivor fan sites and related forums where this info became available. Outing him the way Varner did was unconscionable because it megaphoned it to the entire world.

I don't agree that most of those around him in his real life wouldn't have found out through the gossip on the internet.

1) Survivor is a huge show, that itself means gossip will travel.
2) The internet spreads gossip all over the place.
3) It's too big a secret to keep quiet once it's out.

It's not me who's being glib as was suggested here, it's the show. It's a competitive reality show which is around gameplay and survival in that environment. When you get personal stories edited into it (like with Cirie this season) it can sound glib and manipulative, because it can't be dealt with in full, and it often feels shoehorned into the edit.

With Zeke I believe production knew it was always a potential story they could run with and that there was a good chance it would come out on the show. I don't know if Zeke told Varner or anyone else in his two seasons, or if anyone other than Varner found out. But if others did find out then it never made the edit because it didn't fit the storyline. This one obviously did because of Varner's bad gameplay at tribal council. Maybe Zeke could have controlled the secret coming out by just revealing it, like he did with the others when they joined up later, it was probably a big pressure on him in that environment wondering if people would find out.

And I never said I liked Varner, never have on any of his seasons, happy to see him go. He did ally with Zeke on this season. so I assume he did get on with him. We haven't heard that he's trans-phobic. 'Officer Sarah' said that she might not have given him a fair chance if she'd known he was trans. Sarah's edit actually suggests she gets to the end. They showed Zeke allying with a couple of the others and then same episode Sarah is behind his going.

I liked Zeke more on this season than his first where I found him quite annoying, though I wonder with the trans storyline whether they softened his edit more this time.

I don't agree that most of those around him in his real life wouldn't have found out through the gossip on the internet.

? I wasn't talking about people in his real life. I was talking solely about Survivor viewers.

That was a good result. I'd love a Cirie Andrea Aubry final three, but I can't see how even these idiots would let that happen.

It was so funny to watch Sierra just destroy her game in one go - I'll tell Sarah about this advantage I have and can bequeath, and so she blindsided her to take it. Classic.

I guess Sarah will win, but come on Andrea.

I found the loved ones saga very drawn out too. I suppose a cameo by Monica Culpepper was inevitable. At least it's over now.

I was extremely worried for Andrea, but thankfully Sarah had the resolve to sweet talk the legacy advantage out of Sierra and blindside her.

I need Andrea, Sarah or Cirie to win this now.

I found the loved ones saga very drawn out too. I suppose a cameo by Monica Culpepper was inevitable. At least it's over now.

I was extremely worried for Andrea, but thankfully Sarah had the resolve to sweet talk the legacy advantage out of Sierra and blindside her.

I need Andrea, Sarah or Cirie to win this now.
Yeah, it'd be great for Cirie to be a winner.

Aubry is ridiculously under the radar. We aren't given the chance to even form an opinion on her, she just pops up when it's tribal council time. Is she going to claim at the end that she deserves to win because she never caused any conflict or made enemies? She would be the most disappointing winner since Natalie White won simply because she wasn't Russell Hantz.

Definitely don't want Cirie to win, her edit has been as much about a personal backstory as anything she's done in the game (which was an alliance with the worst player Michaela). She's pretty much useless in challenges.

Maybe a final word on Zeke. I think he wants to be known as a great Survivor player maybe that's his main concern, but his gameplay hasn't warranted it. I'm not sure casual fans will even remember him that much a few years hence.

Sierra played very desperately instead of keeping her cool when she heard her name had come up.

As usual I skip the 'loved ones' scene. I don't see the point of an award to see them when they all meet up anyway.

Last edited:
Aubry is ridiculously under the radar. We aren't given the chance to even form an opinion on her, she just pops up when it's tribal council time.

It really is weird. It's like Aubry died after her first season, and now and then Aubry's ghost appears at a tribal. I seriously forget she's still there.

Aubry is ridiculously under the radar. We aren't given the chance to even form an opinion on her, she just pops up when it's tribal council time. Is she going to claim at the end that she deserves to win because she never caused any conflict or made enemies? She would be the most disappointing winner since Natalie White won simply because she wasn't Russell Hantz.
Well, that's how Michelle won her season. And Sarah is playing like Tony - she has flipped on almost everyone on the jury at this point. Andrea, too, is being a bit controlling and Boston Rob-ish, eg when she freaked that Zeke talked to Brad. The only chance Sierra has is to win every challenge. (Okay, I'm starting to push it.)

There's only two nights of Season 34 left?? Don't know how they're going to do it.

I would never have thought, at the start of this season, that we'd have this group as the contenders for the title. Well, I kind of figured they were going to let Brad Culpepper cruise on through, for some bizarre reason - but not every last single one of my very favourite favourites already out, and not even in the jury mostly!

It's a bit depressing. Hope whoever wins vindicates the hell out of the whole thing, somehow. (That rules out Andrea. :D) Last season was a depressing result, I thought. I think they borrowed too many ideas from the Australian version (which I loved), screwed some great players in the process, and also did a really weird edit this season.

There's only two nights of Season 34 left?? Don't know how they're going to do it.

I would never have thought, at the start of this season, that we'd have this group as the contenders for the title. Well, I kind of figured they were going to let Brad Culpepper cruise on through, for some bizarre reason - but not every last single one of my very favourite favourites already out, and not even in the jury mostly!

It's a bit depressing. Hope whoever wins vindicates the hell out of the whole thing, somehow. (That rules out Andrea. :D) Last season was a depressing result, I thought. I think they borrowed too many ideas from the Australian version (which I loved), screwed some great players in the process, and also did a really weird edit this season.

Losing Malcolm & Ozzie was a huge blow, and I'm missing Sandra now too. I can't believe Culpepper and Troyzan are still there, or that they would have fanbases.

I can't believe Culpepper and Troyzan are still there, or that they would have fanbases.

I actually really enjoy Troyzan! There's no-one left I care crazily about winning - just people I'd rather not see win or in the final two. I don't know, it's just a fizzer, for me.

I think Sarah's doing a surprisingly good job, glad Michaela's still there for a bit of light relief, and Cirie's a good old stick who has worked this whole thing rather well, again, so that's something; it would be nice if Cirie won - I'd be quite glad if Sarah, Michaela, or Cirie won, actually. Aubry's still there (apparently!) and I was crazy for her to win last time and had high hopes for her this one, but where did she go? And I still like Tai, too, but less after he sucked at his previous final tribal council...

The two people I've been wanting to get the boot since this season started are still there and no doubt will be the final two, argh! Culpepper who has had such a redemption edit, and Andrea who shits me up the wall. If either go out next week I will cheer. Then, we'll see...

She would be the most disappointing winner since Natalie White won simply because she wasn't Russell Hantz.

Natalie won because she had a stellar social game and everyone loved her and because Russell was an unmitigated asshole who, to appropriately quote Andrea in the last TC, tried to treat everyone like human chess pieces.

Back