Skip to main content

Survivor Season 34

I know it's not really the same thing but I get where he says "but then I sort of got to a point where I stopped telling people, because when people know that about you, that’s sort of who you are.”
I have a hearing disability and it is exhausting letting everyone know all of the time,I also got to the point where I stopped telling people and don't care if they think I am rude because I am not hearing them.He most likely feels like he has to justify who he is and the decision he has made about himself and why should he have to explain that every five minutes?

I know it's not really the same thing but I get where he says "but then I sort of got to a point where I stopped telling people, because when people know that about you, that’s sort of who you are.”
I have a hearing disability and it is exhausting letting everyone know all of the time,I also got to the point where I stopped telling people and don't care if they think I am rude because I am not hearing them.He most likely feels like he has to justify who he is and the decision he has made about himself and why should he have to explain that every five minutes?

Exactly the same for me. I never tell people I'm deaf in one ear, unless they happen to notice and ask me if I am. Otherwise, it's such a normal part of my life that I don't even think about it.
You shouldn't have to explain anything at all about yourself, and when you do, you choose who to tell. No one else has the right to make that decision for you.

Exactly the same for me. I never tell people I'm deaf in one ear, unless they happen to notice and ask me if I am. Otherwise, it's such a normal part of my life that I don't even think about it.
You shouldn't have to explain anything at all about yourself, and when you do, you choose who to tell. No one else has the right to make that decision for you.
I only tell people these days if I think it's going to impact something,for example art class.I don't work in the workplace because people just don't want to understand or even try...I don't even wear my hearing aids anymore,I feel I do okay without them.

No, that is the point entirely, it wasn't up to Varner to let everyone know, in the context of the game, anyone's personal stories, or issues are not relevant to the show. I had asked last season if Zeke was, because I thought it was pretty cool in this day and age that someone was not using their personal life to further themselves in the game. And I totally get why Zeke chose not to. Most of us want to be "known" as someone who achieved, not someone who won by default, on the back of others opinions, because we knew or know someone else or because of sympathy.
Varner totally misread this entire situation, I get he was desperate to save himself, but something he now has to live with.....at what cost to another person?

in the context of the game, anyone's personal stories, or issues are not relevant to the show.

I agree, and I'd prefer it like that. But in reality they tend to be used on the show, and the producers I'm sure encourage it too. Zeke didn't use it in his first season it's true, but I'd be surprised if he was cast without the producers knowing (I wouldn't even trust their denying that). And of course all the official comments from the Survivor team will be about how upset they are that it was revealed like this on the show. But I think they will be secretly loving it, they will fit it into the metamorphosis theme and say it's Zeke becoming more confident in himself. Americans love messages like that filtered into the show, even though it rarely in reality has very much to do with the actual competition.

Zeke himself said he didn't mention it in his audition video because he didn't want to be known as the "transgender survivor player"
He has kind of boiled down Survivor, there are those who love the OMG moments & players, and that group includes the producers, and then there is another group who prefer people who love the game for what it is, or maybe should be (not a platform for future fame on twitter or instagram) I'm in the latter group, which is why I like the Malcom's, the Ozzy's, the Aubrey's even the Tai's LOL Although the social aspect seems beyond him.

I came out as gay - quite a while ago now - when I was 16, and when I was 17 I moved to a new city and came out big time. Even then, and in life now, I am so comfortable with myself I assume everyone will either know or work it out. But when I got a job in a warehouse in Sydney, however, due to the environment, I was more guarded. I played my cards close to my chest until I realised I had no choice but to come out all over again. It was madness. You get it. I get it. Bullshit stigmas are all around us.

I came out as gay - quite a while ago now - when I was 16, and when I was 17 I moved to a new city and came out big time. Even then, and in life now, I am so comfortable with myself I assume everyone will either know or work it out. But when I got a job in a warehouse in Sydney, however, due to the environment, I was more guarded. I played my cards close to my chest until I realised I had no choice but to come out all over again. It was madness. You get it. I get it. Bullshit stigmas are all around us.
I guess that's the part I don't get, if your gay, straight, transgender, whatever, why do people need to know? It makes no difference to the show, the workplace, to life. If it's a show, just entertain me. If it's a workplace, don't shit me. What your preference is doesn't concern me at all.

If it's a show, just entertain me.
It doesn't have to be a show though. Everyone around you is different. No-one shouldn't have to explain themselves. This is where where people complain about political correctness. If you're saying something about (for example) people of colour when they aren't in front of that you wouldn't say when they are, then you need to stop. And you shouldn't even say it when they're not. Not aiming this at you ofc but this is the reality many people face every single day. And it's arguably even worse for the LGBTI community being not so readily visible.

I guess that's the part I don't get, if your gay, straight, transgender, whatever, why do people need to know? It makes no difference to the show, the workplace, to life. If it's a show, just entertain me. If it's a workplace, don't shit me. What your preference is doesn't concern me at all.
I dont get it either,this shouldn't affect your workplace in the least,it's nobodies business..I had to tell my workplace about my hearing because that would impact on my job but gay/trangender doesn't

Survivor contestant who outed competitor fired from job.

His workplace tribe has spoken.

Kicked off Survivor for the “worst act in 24 seasons” of the show, Jeff Varner has now been booted from his job.

The Survivor contestant, who outed fellow competitor Zeke Smith as transgender on last Wednesday’s episode of the CBS reality competition, has been fired from his real estate job.

The Greensboro News & Record reports Varner was fired on Thursday from Allen Tate Realtors because he was “in the middle of a news story that we don’t want anything to do with.”

Just one week earlier, Varner took to Twitter where he appeared to be just starting out on the job, E News reports.

“Hitting SEND on my first active listing with @AllenTate,” he shared from his office. “#Realtors, send me buyers #Realtorlife.”

In another tweet he said “New firm, New start. New life.”

Varner made accusations of “a deception” before revealing that Smith is transgender on the Survivor episode last week. Varner was immediately criticised by other players.

He repeatedly apologised, but was booted out of the competition.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...b/news-story/b4c35fd303ceefb363416a83077f09c0

People article: Varner responds to being fired

I think being fired was pretty harsh... but also understand their point of view as their company could face a backlash due to his actions. It's a lose-lose situation for them. I also feel for him, making such a poor decision in such a public arena... while working in a sales role. I'm sure it'll blow over eventually for him, but for now I'm sure there'll be a lot of hate directed at him for a while to come. If he's at the finale it's sure to come up again, so it'll continue haunt him for some time yet.

People article: Varner responds to being fired

I think being fired was pretty harsh... but also understand their point of view as their company could face a backlash due to his actions. It's a lose-lose situation for them. I also feel for him, making such a poor decision in such a public arena... while working in a sales role. I'm sure it'll blow over eventually for him, but for now I'm sure there'll be a lot of hate directed at him for a while to come. If he's at the finale it's sure to come up again, so it'll continue haunt him for some time yet.

they way they fired him was in bad form too,least they could have done was call him in and explain and then fire him

Seems iffy to say that because someone is disliked on a reality tv program they can be fired, so I'm not accepting that it can't be challenged by him assuming employees have much say there.

Nothing "iffy" about it. Tribal happened 10 months ago, so he either didn't mention it, or downplayed it, and knew it would air a week or two after he was hired. I have no problem with any company wanting to distance themselves from international controversy.

Well, yes, but he knew it was coming up, so either he thought it wasn't a big deal, just a show thing, or he mislead his future employer, or this part was all a set up for sympathy. He's been around long enough to know that employers don't like publicity like this, let alone on this scale.

Back