Skip to main content

Report: "Uncertain future" after "ratings disaster"

If Seven does in fact revive the OG format it’s going to take a lot for them to convince anyone they’re making an honest attempt at it. Bringing Sonia back for a third era would do nothing but signal it’s business as usual.

That said let’s be real. Musings of any attempt at Seven giving BB another go are just chatter. They’re the same type of thing we’ve heard after every other cancellation… There was talk of a “revised format” by Ten and CBB by Nine, neither of which materialized. The only way we’re getting another revival is on another network.

The only good thing about Seven reviving Big Brother in it's original guise is that for them to even consider it that would mean they've had the most disastrous year in TV history, which wouldn't be undeserved.

Programmer’s Wrap 2024: Seven​

EXCLUSIVE:

Seven Head of Scheduling Brook Hall admits to being “excited and nervous” about the start of the entertainment battle for eyeballs in 2024.

SAS Australia is also due towards the end of the year, but Seven is undecided about Big Brother for 2024 or whether to return to a Live format in 2025. Hall admits to problems with 2023’s pre-recorded series.

“We originally were going to do it for 7plus and pushed it too much into the relationship space. We can put our hand up with that. Second, do we go back to Live? That’s a whole different show to what has been made here in Australia for 10 years.

“We could do it this year, but it would probably have to be pre-recorded,” he reveals.

“We’re committed to doing Big Brother, but if we’re going to do it Live, that means you obviously need to have a house and lock in a specific date. Plus, it would run longer, because we would want to do it properly.”

So is the show in contention for 2024 or 2025?

“I would say that Big Brother is very likely to come back. It’s just where….”

I almost can't understand how it isn't clear yet what needs to happen with this show.... why so much pondering. It is exremely evident what didn't work and the reasons for it.

Channel Seven if you read this forum, I am currently unemployed. I am more than happy to consult with you on what you need to do to make Big Brother work. You currently seem clueless on where to go next, ore even really even understand the history of your own show.

I’ve said it before, I really think the more likely chance of us getting a live season will be on 7. So I’m hopeful that they are still considering.

I’ve said it before, I really think the more likely chance of us getting a live season will be on 7. So I’m hopeful that they are still considering.
I disagree. It needs a fresh set of eyes on it to rebuild it from Seven's binfire. Not going to happen under the current ownership. They'll just make half arsed tweaks to their format and cross their fingers.

IDK, I feel like a lot of us are too hopeful and are slightly romanticising the prosect of Ten (or anyone other than Seven or Nine) bringing it back live. But at this point in time, Seven have it, and it's up to them with what they do with it right now. I agree it would only benefit from it going far away from Seven as possible and completly have the show detached from the mess that has been the last 4 seasons. But if that is the case, I don't think I have much confidence in the show being brought back for a long while outside of Seven.

IMO for Seven to be seriously considering giving BB a second shot there another network has expressed interest or they fear interest from another network would be immanent. If there is another player in the ring (likely Ten) shoot your shot... This reeks of scare tactics and I'm doubtful Seven are going to want to engage in a potential bidding war.

It does certainly feel like this has come out of no where thats for sure. They've gone from having it confirmed for 2024, then resting it and now they're undecided but certain it will happen eventually. The wishywashyness is really strange.

IMO for Seven to be seriously considering giving BB a second shot there another network has expressed interest or they fear interest from another network would be immanent. If there is another player in the ring (likely Ten) shoot your shot... This reeks of scare tactics and I'm doubtful Seven are going to want to engage in a potential bidding war.
Actually I was thinking the same thing. C'mon 10, put in a killer bid! Unlikely I know.

Kind of agree. It'll be a disaster and the goodwill lost won't be rewon but it does feel like the best chance of it happening at the moment.

However I just struggle to see how they sell it to advertisers and viewers after how hard the last series flopped and how they get it past the channels accountants too.

I am expecting it to occur on Seven if it is to be live, but there is no hope in it doing well just because theres a fresh coat of paint over the format. It is way too early for fans to just forget what has happened. The damage has been done, it either needs a break or to move networks with any hope of a live format working. But, I don't know how much I like the odds of it going that way. And if Seven were to fuck up a live version of the show, I think I'd seriously just give up on watching it all together in this country.

If they go to a live format like BBUK, I’m here for it!
I think most people are happy to forget that House of Love even dared to use the brand, Big Brother.

Back