Skip to main content

Report: "Uncertain future" after "ratings disaster"

Yes, narrator fine but so dated as a presenter but there seems to be quite a few Aussie presenters who still think it's the 80s. Found Grant Denyer unbearable on Deal or No Deal and before his troubles Andrew O'Keefe on The Chase.

I think they need to set up the show for the future not hark back to the past and Gretel is perhaps a bit like Marcus in BBUK - strongly associated with the show but quite divisive in terms of popularity.

Surely Australia must have some decent presenters? Carrie Bickmore is the name that springs to mind.
IMO if it’s Seven they need all the help they can get and let’s be honest so would Ten.

With rumors about 10 being up for sale on the quiet, anything is possible....
It’s a shame really that Paramount’s only plans seemed to be the rebrand and the failed launch of 10 All Access/Paramount+.

As for a potential sale it could go either way although it seems the industry are waiting for the prime moment to pull the plug from traditional broadcasting. Pretty much everything including advertising dollars is going towards streaming.

It’s a shame really that Paramount’s only plans seemed to be the rebrand and the failed launch of 10 All Access/Paramount+.

As for a potential sale it could go either way although it seems the industry are waiting for the prime moment to pull the plug from traditional broadcasting. Pretty much everything including advertising dollars is going towards streaming.
i wonder if the government of the day would fight tooth and nail to keep traditional broadcasting if the industry were to pull the plug?

i wonder if the government of the day would fight tooth and nail to keep traditional broadcasting if the industry were to pull the plug?
The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if 10 in Aus and Three in NZ both disappeared at some point in the next few years. Three (owned by Discovery Warner Bros) recently announced they're dumping news altogether and will lay off between 200 and 300 people. And 10 has always struggled to hold market share. Even TVNZ which is government owned and fully commercial is running at a loss. As a state owned enterprise it's expected to be profitable and earn income for the government.

FTA networks are facing a difficult battle against all the competition from streaming services. The FTA advertising pie continues to shrink.

The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if 10 in Aus and Three in NZ both disappeared at some point in the next few years. Three (owned by Discovery Warner Bros) recently announced they're dumping news altogether and will lay off between 200 and 300 people. And 10 has always struggled to hold market share. Even TVNZ which is government owned and fully commercial is running at a loss. As a state owned enterprise it's expected to be profitable and earn income for the government.

FTA networks are facing a difficult battle against all the competition from streaming services. The FTA advertising pie continues to shrink.
TVNZ have also announced huge cuts to thier news and other programming such as a cutting a program that's been on air for 50 years or something called fair go.

ten has been struggling in Australia since forever.

ten has been struggling in Australia since forever.
Exactly. As I said, I'd tip 10 will fail at some point, and next time the Coalition is in government SBS will get rolled into ABC and a lot of people will lose their jobs.

In the late 70s, NZ had two government owned channels, Television One and South Pacific Television (TV2). The PM Robert "Piggy" Muldoon was not happy about what he perceived as a waste of resources (such as two competing news services) so he threatened to merge them and consequently TVNZ was born in early 1980. So I can see the Coalition doing the same with ABC/SBS very easily if they gain control of both houses. Rough snip from a longer doco about NZ TV:

Being under Paramount ownership doesn’t seem to be helping 10 out one bit as they don’t seem that interested in making any substantial investment. It’s giving “we’ve tried nothing and we’re all out of ideas”.

To be fair 10 have had more new formats than either 7 or 9 in recent years - it's just people don't watch them. Feels like Aus TV is in limbo now until MAFS self destructs.
They've always had a slightly more youthful style and aren't afraid to try new things - and give them a decent chance to gain a footing. And then flog them to hell until they burn out a la BB. When BB, Masterchef and Aus Idol were their three biggest shows they might have been better to have rested one of the three franchises each year so there'd be more buzz when they returned. But I guess their contracts would prevent that.

They've always had a slightly more youthful style and aren't afraid to try new things - and give them a decent chance to gain a footing. And then flog them to hell until they burn out a la BB. When BB, Masterchef and Aus Idol were their three biggest shows they might have been better to have rested one of the three franchises each year so there'd be more buzz when they returned. But I guess their contracts would prevent that.
They used to be like that but I feel 10 has also become very risk averse in the last 10 years and doesn't offer anything different now from channel 7/9.

They used to be like that but I feel 10 has also become very risk averse in the last 10 years and doesn't offer anything different now from channel 7/9.
Masterchef started the year after the first iteration of Big Brother was canned.

Indeed, as then Ten chief programmer David Mott said in 2008, Big Brother has experienced audience erosion inherent with its long run.

Back