Skip to main content

Report: "Uncertain future" after "ratings disaster"

Channel 10's ratings this year haven't been that great - yes, Survivor is big for them, and so is Masterchef. But some of their other reality TV offerings have bombed - the Traitors is a good example.
Ten would be the ideal place for a revamped Big Brother in 2025 - a much younger host than Sonia, and maybe bring on board Mike Goldman again or someone of that ilk to host Friday Night Games or Big Brother Uncut. Above all else, let's return to featuring eclectic and interesting housemates, not a load of instagram models.

No. Completely wipe the slate clean and bring in all new fresh talent.
If they do go throwback like they have with the UK I could see the merit of there being ex channel 10 housemate(s) being involved. Reggie and Dave hosting Friday night games or something? But anyone getting involved would want to be confident it was going to be fixing channel seven's monumental screw up.

I wonder if Rachel Corbett would be interested. She’s a regular on the Project isn’t she? At least she used to be, I haven’t watched in a long time.
I would also vote for Tim Dormer.

If they do go throwback like they have with the UK I could see the merit of there being ex channel 10 housemate(s) being involved. Reggie and Dave hosting Friday night games or something? But anyone getting involved would want to be confident it was going to be fixing channel seven's monumental screw up.
I think there’s room to have them on as guests/use them for promotion pre-series but I don’t know if anyone needs a full time job out of it.

Another revival isn’t just about addressing Seven’s mistakes but about brining it back to what it was in it’s glory days. That included Nine and Ten as well.

I wonder if Rachel Corbett would be interested. She’s a regular on the Project isn’t she? At least she used to be, I haven’t watched in a long time.
I would also vote for Tim Dormer.
I think for a rebooted/back to basics series they really need to go for someone unknown or with a low profile.

I'm a bit sick of Tim Dormer if I'm being honest. I'm with @Kingston on this one, wipe the slate clean, start fresh with hosting and voice overs including the BB voice.

Whoever even decided to renew the series after the all star's disastrous ratings should be fired. A new series was always going to generate less viewers, and it did. And bombed hard.

I doubt it was actually renewed - just announced in a manner that looked that way even though everything announced in relation to the 2024 season was really about the 2023 series filmed in 2022.

I doubt it was actually renewed - just announced in a manner that looked that way even though everything announced in relation to the 2024 season was really about the 2023 series filmed in 2022.
I think Wormow was referring to 7 renewing the show for this year (the current season that just aired) after not even the All Star season last year could get people watching.

The "2023" season was the final one on the current contract with Seven, so it was probably just a contractual obligation. So they made it as cheaply as possible to still keep it profitable because they knew what was going to happen.

Speaking of cheap, I forgot to pay attention to this during the season, but they had three DRs in the pavilion for the previous seasons: the main one and two smaller ones. But I suspect with the big eye chair they had this season they just used the main one? And obviously it would have saved them money on their chair budget.

I feel like we’re in for another long BBAU hiatus.

Channel 7 have burnt their bridge.

Channel 9 already have MAFS, The Block etc which are cheaper to film and can be stuffed to the brim with product placements.

Channel 10 are basically broke, unless they really convinced some one at Paramount it could work in a streaming way.

Which leaves… Netflix, Prime or Binge/Foxtel? I just don’t see it happening unfortunately.

Channel 9 already have MAFS, The Block etc which are cheaper to film and can be stuffed to the brim with product placements.

Big Brother can be stuffed with product placements and ads, too. Just take a look at Albanian house.. hardly any shot that doesn't have some form of ad in it.
BBVIPAlbania.jpg

Right now, I think Channel 10 would still be the most likely place for Big Brother to return.

Netflix is hardly doing any live programming and right now, they aim for shows that they can stream internationally, which they wouldn't be able to do with Big Brother.

I can't judge Foxtel/Binge, but it doesn't look like anything they would do.

And while I've mentioned Amazon in the past and pointed towards Operacion Triunfo, I do no longer think that they're interested in the reality aspect of the show. They'll be doing Popstars in France, so their motivation must have been the ability to sell and stream music.

But Paramount does have a soft spot for Big Brother these days after they've figured out that the feeds could really push their free streaming service Pluto. It was so successful for them in Argentina and Chile (free feeds made Pluto the #1 downloaded app in these countries) that they even made the feeds free in the US. With everyone in media going crazy about free streaming channels these days, that's the thing that could convince Paramount to provide the budget for 10. However, I'm not sure how well FAST channels are actually doing in Australia, e.g. if ads get booked on that service.

Last edited:
Well, at least we have BBUK for now to fill the emptiness.

If you wanna try something new, you should check out Big Brother Mzansi aka Big Brother South Africa, which launches in January... final weeks might overlap with Celebrity Big Brother UK though. While South Africa has its fair share of vernacular languages, housemates are required to speak in English.

I tried watching the launch one year and I couldn’t get past them referring to Big Brother as “Biggie”.

I feel like we’re in for another long BBAU hiatus.

Channel 7 have burnt their bridge.

Channel 10 are basically broke, unless they really convinced some one at Paramount it could work in a streaming way.

Which leaves… Netflix, Prime or Binge/Foxtel? I just don’t see it happening unfortunately.
Channel ABC wont touch reality tv with a ten-foot pole.

Channel SBS wont touch anything that is not multicultural or does not involve trains or the Royals or the Pyramids or World War 2 or the Titanic.

Back