Skip to main content

Opinion on Sonia? (vs Gretel?)

I just wish we had a host(ess) that would pin the HM's down more. I loved the way Gretel wouldn't let them get away with crap, that was half the fun!

Yeah, that's one of the things that has disappointed me this season. Sonia is too soft on them. Gretel used to pull them up on their bad behaviour in the house and she used to get her back up if they dared to say 'I'm not really like they portrayed me to be'. She used to get really pissed off with them if they said that. When Ben is finally evicted, I hope Sonia gives him a hard time for his nastiness and back stabbing, but she probably won't.

I think Sonia has done an OK job. She had tough shoes to fill. I just wish she would be firmer on the HMs instead of acting like their friend. There's a time to be friendly and a time to call them out on their bluffs and expose who they really are.

One of the problems has been the lack of time given to interview the evictees. And they end up showing footage for 90% of that time anyway.

Sonia has survived - she's been OK in an awful position.
I can imagine the the restrictions 9 have her performing within - look at how restricted this version is. They have knobbled her natural cheeky naughtiness, she's got a bit of a bitchy camp sense of humour that can be very risky.

So they made her into a censored version. Teena Sparkle never got to come out. Plus the shitty production and making her do 2 jobs at once - she's kind of thinly spread & must be exhausted.

Sonia is a lady she does not chase after the contestants and sleep with them like Gretal did....she was old enough to be that boys mother....That is poor tatse in my book. Go Sonia U de best.

I like Sonia, but she's not the brightest. Charming and dignified, anything has to be better than Gretel. Such a beautiful name she ruined for everyone.

Gretel was a natural and wasn't scared to rip into 'em .. a smiling assassin.
I thought that Sonja would be better - she's been quirky and non PC before.
Maybe she's just bowing to the constraints of Ch 9, but all in all, her interviews with the HMs have been a massive, polite yawn.

Sonia has survived - she's been OK in an awful position.
I can imagine the the restrictions 9 have her performing within - look at how restricted this version is. They have knobbled her natural cheeky naughtiness, she's got a bit of a bitchy camp sense of humour that can be very risky.

So they made her into a censored version. Teena Sparkle never got to come out. Plus the shitty production and making her do 2 jobs at once - she's kind of thinly spread & must be exhausted.

Yeah this BB was the ACMA Censored version....

In the final verdict, Sonia has been merely awful . Not the total disaster she was in the first week, but definitely not worth bringing back. From flubbing half her card-reading lines to the dolls-eyes smiles that belie any genuine warmth or even interest. I can't fast forward past her fast enough or often enough.

In the final verdict, Sonia has been merely awful . Not the total disaster she was in the first week, but definitely not worth bringing back. From flubbing half her card-reading lines to the dolls-eyes smiles that belie any genuine warmth or even interest. I can't fast forward past her fast enough or often enough.

I'm with you completely. I watch with at least a half hour delay (time shift on my PVR) so I can fast forward through the adverts and fast forward through her inane babbling.

I still think Sonia went ok. She has a lot less time to interact with these ppl. Gretel got to interview them for longer. Poor Sonia has to fit so much stuff into a small window. I wouldn't mind her coming back next year. Or perhaps Ben could host. He would go ok I believe

Gretel was a natural and wasn't scared to rip into 'em .. a smiling assassin.
I thought that Sonja would be better - she's been quirky and non PC before.
Maybe she's just bowing to the constraints of Ch 9, but all in all, her interviews with the HMs have been a massive, polite yawn.

Channel 9 would have demanded she interview like
That. No point having a pg family show then tearing into ppl on stage. It doesn't fit.

I was willing to give Sonia a chance because she seemed a little wooden and staged at the start, but she hasn't really got any better and is now spewing out Dad jokes when ad libbing. Saying that, Gretel had become to unprofessional by the end, there was a good reason why she was fired. She was arguing with only male house mates and defending a program that had just become a freak show.

(Cross posted from other thread)

Sonia is the ultimate seagull host:

- Fly into the gold coast.

- Poop out a 10 minute interview.

- Fly out again moments later.

No interest in the show outside of what is contractually obliged. The ultimate "safe" figurehead for the show. She reminds me of the Chen-bot from Big Brother USA.

An example of her "blonde speak" from last night:-
"Well, Michael has been evicted from the house". (Said in her best Playschool voice).
At this point I think she realised how stupid her comment was as she continued with:-
"As you can see because he's sitting beside me".

Duh!!

I will admit, not sure if it was just me but I found Sonia suddenly became a lot more assertive with the way she spoke when she was interviewing Michael last night. It was unlike the way she's talked to the others.

There were moments I found her to slightly channel Gretel, probably as a result of Michael's attempts at avoiding questions and acting all uncomfortable. Not as much as I'd have liked to have seen her be, but it was something.

Did anyone else notice?

An example of her "blonde speak" from last night:-
"Well, Michael has been evicted from the house". (Said in her best Playschool voice).
At this point I think she realised how stupid her comment was as she continued with:-
"As you can see because he's sitting beside me".

Duh!!

Does she do this reading an autocue?

Would explain a lot. Most TV people will read ANYTHING printed on an autocue regardless of how stupid it may sound.

Back