Skip to main content

Martin Place evacuated, hostages held at Lindt Cafe

"The definition of terrorism is the unofficial or unauthorised
use of violence and intimidation in pursuit of political aims. He was a cleric who held strong ideological views in regards to his religion and the events unfolding in the Middle East. He knew exactly what he was doing. There is zero evidence this guy had a mental illness and he was completely aware and in control of his actions. Labelling him as mentally ill is an insult and removes his accountability. I suppose Russel Brand would say the individuals who killed 132 Pakistani children
were mentally ill as well…"

From a friend of mine

Russel Brand uses his large vocabulary to fool people he is intelligent

He certainly seemed to suffer delusions of grandeur, as a self appoint sheik and as someone who felt had more affiliations with ISIL/ISIS than he actually seemed to have. What he did that day was premeditated yet disorganised. Yet despite all that he is fully accountable and responsible and to diminish that, as you said, is an insult. Do I personally think it should be labelled a terrorist attack on Australia - No as I think that is what he wanted as a part of him feeling more important than he was.

As for Russel Brand I have tried watching him a couple of times to get what others see in him, but I struggle to get it.

The reality is the world changed after September 11 2001, and whilst we cannot and should not live our lives in fear, nor label anyone who looks a certain way a terrorist, it is necessary for government to do things to protect the citizens of a country. I liken it to the following - I could walk home from the pub drunk through the alleyways, as in an ideal world I should be safe. But we don't live in a perfect world so I chose to catch a cab, as it may still have its risks, but seems like a safer option.

Just my 2 cents worth

My 2 cents-

I have lived in australia as a student for 6 years and only left a few years ago-obviously still hooked on big brother hence the account.

Almost everyone who knew me knew i was a muslim (didn’t practice but it is my religion) i never ever faced racism in the 6 years i lived there. Never felt unsafe ever really.

when this event took place yesterday my first question was “Is he muslim?” only because the unfortunate truth is that a lot of such acts are done in the name of islam.

I admire everyone defending muslims on this forum but honest to god, to everyone else who isn’t, I DO get it. I’m not trying to encourage racism, but in such a circumstance, even I was filled with so much anger towards this lunatic who was hurting a city and a country and people that i love. i was not able to work yesterday, was allowed to go home and was glued to the TV until the siege was over, and i cried for the people that lost their lives that will not be with their families because some deranged human woke up one morning and decided, i need more attention.

I pray to whatever god is up there to never put Australia/Australians in harms way.

Last night I had nightmares about what happened. The images of the arms against the windows kept flashing in my head on a loop. I was only looking at them on tv as it unfolded and when the images finally left my head I felt so devastated and bereft for those who were there in that cafe.

Last night I had nightmares about what happened. The images of the arms against the windows kept flashing in my head on a loop. I was only looking at them on tv as it unfolded and when the images finally left my head I felt so devastated and bereft for those who were there in that cafe.
I felt physically sick when I first saw the images. I really feel for them all, such a traumatic thing to go through.

The flowers in Martin Place are so over-whelming. On my lunch break today I was still seeing people walking towards there with flowers. It's so beautiful.

I have been wondering. The police had one of their "sharp shooters" (read: sniper) with a Channel Seven cameraman across Martin Place looking down into the Lindt Cafe, but I have wondered ever since if the police had access to the cafe's internal cameras during the siege. As can be seen in the below image there are security cameras in there. I can log into my workplace's camera system on my phone and home computer so I would be surprised if the police did not manage that in this case, to get a much clearer picture of what was going on in there.

Sydney-siege-011.jpg

I know not all surveillance systems have web access but in this day and age I think it'd be pretty unusual.

I have been wondering. The police had one of their "sharp shooters" (read: sniper) with a Channel Seven cameraman across Martin Place looking down into the Lindt Cafe, but I have wondered ever since if the police had access to the cafe's internal cameras during the siege. As can be seen in the below image there are security cameras in there. I can log into my workplace's camera system on my phone and home computer so I would be surprised if the police did not manage that in this case, to get a much clearer picture of what was going on in there.

Sydney-siege-011.jpg

I know not all surveillance systems have web access but in this day and age I think it'd be pretty unusual.
I wondered the same thing when I saw that picture

Sydney-siege-011.jpg

I think I did read they did have access. A lot of the details haven't been released though.

That brings the whole "Internet of Things" debate full circle. Whilst remotely accessible security monitoring devices are a great idea, if the companies producing them don't offer patches/firmware updates to fix security holes because "the device is no longer supported" or they simply don't care, then this becomes a security & privacy issue in itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_of_Things#Criticism_and_controversies

There are already cases of internet connected baby monitors and TP-Link ADSL modems that can be easily hacked even if you change the default password.

Of course, in these circumstances, access to that CCTV system would have been great assistance to the police, there's no guarantee that it was externally accessible, although if it was a local-only storage system, they will have plenty of footage of what transpired, but it still depends on the framerate, camera resolution etc as to how useful it will be to their investigation.

Sorry, just my 2c

I was at the Lindt cafe in the new year, seeing it all boarded up and still having flowers surrounding it, very very eery as you can imagine, I wondering if/when it will be reopened and how long it will last tbh

I feel enough time has passed for me to be able to share that I hate Lidnt chocolates, I really do. So if I do pop in next time I am in Sydney for morning tea it will be to support the business not the product.

Shout out to Sydney siders, was it a popular cafe before?

I feel enough time has passed for me to be able to share that I hate Lidnt chocolates, I really do. So if I do pop in next time I am in Sydney for morning tea it will be to support the business not the product.

There are a few around, some in Melbourne too, I went and had their waffles at their darling harbour cafe.... 4 of us shared one, was amazing but very very rich!

There are a few around, some in Melbourne too, I went and had their waffles at their darling harbour cafe.... 4 of us shared one, was amazing but very very rich!
I love Darling Harbour

Very popular! It was always busy too.

I was in Sydney recently and visited the site as well. Was so surreal with an almost tranquil atmosphere. The messages written on the boarded panelling are moving, others quite poignant ("Dear humans, he was a lunatic who happened to be a Muslim").

I often wonder about the surveillance videos from inside the café that morning too.

I wondering if/when it will be reopened and how long it will last tbh
I'm thinking about it and in all honesty I wouldn't be that surprised if they actually make a decision to demolish/rebuild it, considering two lives were lost on those very tiles. Most locations where major crime scenes take place, particularly where people are killed, the buildings are usually never reopened.

Also taking into account that (unfortunately but inevitably) the café will most likely become more of an "attraction" now.

I'm thinking about it and in all honesty I wouldn't be that surprised if they actually make a decision to demolish/rebuild it, considering two lives were lost on those very tiles. Most locations where major crime scenes take place, particularly where people are killed, the buildings are usually never reopened.

Also taking into account that (unfortunately but inevitably) the café will most likely become more of an "attraction" now.

They said at that particular time it was boarded up due to it being still a crime scene, but I agree, it will be (and has to an extent) an attraction of sorts, I in some ways hope it does reopen in respect for those who passed and those who continue to live with the trauma, but at the same time, closed for the exact same reason, I know when I was at their other store many were paying respect there, its a tricky one :(

Seven and Nine will go head to head tonight at 6:30pm airing their interviews with the hostages.

I was at the Lindt cafe in the new year, seeing it all boarded up and still having flowers surrounding it, very very eery as you can imagine, I wondering if/when it will be reopened and how long it will last tbh

Lindt have said they're still yet to make a decision on whether the café will re-open or close. If I remember correctly Lindt originally said that their first priority is their staff.

Seven and Nine will go head to head tonight at 6:30pm airing their interviews with the hostages.

Lindt have said they're still yet to make a decision on whether the café will re-open or close. If I remember correctly Lindt originally said that their first priority is their staff.

No matter what they do, the place is going to have such a eerie feel I think

Lindt Australia
3 hrs ·
We have been asked by many concerned members of the public about the reopening plans for our Martin Place Chocolate Cafe: will it reopen and if so when? We would like to say that it is fully our intention to reopen the store and to do so as soon as is possible and appropriate. As one can imagine though, it is a complicated matter involving close consultation with many people including staff, families of those affected and the authorities. But we hope to be able to announce some timings within the next week. In the meantime, we remain deeply grateful for the messages of support and good will.

I can't help but be morbidly curious about what they have to say, so will probably watch when they inevitably surface online. The promos definitely made them look like they are worth watching - although that could be because of the amount of money that was paid out to get the interviews.

Back