Skip to main content

Martin Place evacuated, hostages held at Lindt Cafe

I'm no social media user, but isn't that what "thems young folks" do on social media? Tell everybody what they're doing and where they are at all hours of the day? ;)

EDIT: I am hoping it was just an eagle eyed cameraman. I seriously doubt it was a stunt on her part.

I didn't see it but someone who saw it said there was no mention of her, they were just panning the crowd and focussing on faces for a couple of seconds. A fan took a screenshot and posted it.

Well I went there on my lunch break, purchased flowers to lay down and didn't mention it once on social media and didn't really tell anyone. Many of my friends went as well throughout the day and didn't feel the need to do so either.

She had been in the CBD during the siege, and left because of it. I think the fact that mentioned she returned the next day to pay her respects reflects not only her emotions regarding the loss of life, but also as a debrief for herself.

I've seen quite a few people mention they have been there - not to big note themselves, but to share the feeling of unity, humanity and emotion that they felt there.

It could also be people sharing their emotions with their friends and families.

I didn't see it but someone who saw it said there was no mention of her, they were just panning the crowd and focussing on faces for a couple of seconds. A fan took a screenshot and posted it.
That was me and that's how I took it. They didn't mention who she was, did not seem like a stunt in any way. More like as you said, an eagle eyed cameraman, could be the cameraman also had no clue who she was.

Really nice to see the family of Tori Johnson get some comfort from the messages and flowers left by fellow Australians, and amazing statement from the 83 year old hostage that was one of the first to escape.

Channel nine's Today show came up with the suggestion that when the flowers are collected for disposal, someone takes the cards and put them in books for the victims families. Good idea. They could scan them perhaps and they could have a record of every one of them I suppose.

She was there as a private citizen paying her respects. Not her fault that she was seen by the cameras. Why shouldn't she post it on SM? I am quite sure others have who have been in the public eye.

She had been in the CBD during the siege, and left because of it. I think the fact that mentioned she returned the next day to pay her respects reflects not only her emotions regarding the loss of life, but also as a debrief for herself.

I've seen quite a few people mention they have been there - not to big note themselves, but to share the feeling of unity, humanity and emotion that they felt there.

Sorry, I retract what I said about Jade last night. I think I was high on emotions after the past two days. Being in the city while it happened, being in lockdown and going to Martin Place yesterday was very emotional. Not that I should complain as that's nothing compared to what actually happened.

It's so beautiful that the flowers keep growing. A few of the florists are donating half their takings to the victims families.

Sorry, I retract what I said about Jade last night. I think I was high on emotions after the past two days. Being in the city while it happened, being in lockdown and going to Martin Place yesterday was very emotional. Not that I should complain as that's nothing compared to what actually happened.

It's so beautiful that the flowers keep growing. A few of the florists are donating half their takings to the victims families.
:) sorry that you were caught up in the scariness and ongoing effects of it during the day. I can appreciate your over sensitivity to it. In the greater scheme of things, nothing we do or say matters in comparison to those people who were actively involved either inside the cafe or standing by on full alert. Oh, and their families.

It's a very emotional time, and everyone feels and reacts in their own way - and venting can be cathartic. I hope you you are feeling support and comfort from your friends and loved ones :).

That's a lovely gesture from the florists involved.

:) sorry that you were caught up in the scariness and ongoing effects of it during the day. I can appreciate your over sensitivity to it. In the greater scheme of things, nothing we do or say matters in comparison to those people who were actively involved either inside the cafe or standing by on full alert. Oh, and their families.
My friend lives in the same apartment block as the male victim and he said flowers are outside the apartment too.

I know, I can't imagine what they're going through and hopefully they all have the right support to move forward.

I thought some on here may (or may not) care what Russel Brand has to say on the after effects and media

I thought some on here may (or may not) care what Russel Brand has to say on the after effects and media

Watched about half of it. Agree with him about the media, then it became a political rant and I switched off.
Thanks for posting it though.

Watched about half of it. Agree with him about the media, then it became a political rant and I switched off.
Thanks for posting it though.
lol He is hard to watch that much of! It sounds like a lot of the local media was a lot more respectful in their reporting than overseas sources were.

lol He is hard to watch that much of! It sounds like a lot of the local media was a lot more respectful in their reporting than overseas sources were.
A chap I know in Scotland posted on facebook about the picture of the attack at the end and wondered why two 'office workers' in the background were curiously looking around a corner at it happening. You'd think there'd be an exclusion zone he said. Er, hello, says me, not office workers (in suits) at 2am in that place and yes there was an exclusion zone. They'd be police I'd hazard a guess.

A chap I know in Scotland posted on facebook about the picture of the attack at the end and wondered why two 'office workers' in the background were curiously looking around a corner at it happening. You'd think there'd be an exclusion zone he said. Er, hello, says me, not office workers (in suits) at 2am in that place and yes there was an exclusion zone. They'd be police I'd hazard a guess.
I did notice them - I wondered if they were hostages that had just run out?

Those men were probably risk analysts or head of some department. Who know's, but obviously not bystanders or the hostages.

So the new reports say the final group of hostages to escape prior to the gunfire smashed a lock of the door while Monis had fallen asleep, which then lead Tori to try take the gun off him (not wrestle) and then Monis woke up and shot him in the head at close range.

Why on earth did they not all get up and silently walk out?

So the new reports say the final group of hostages to escape prior to the gunfire smashed a lock of the door while Monis had fallen asleep, which then lead Tori to try take the gun off him (not wrestle) and then Monis woke up and shot him in the head at close range.

Why on earth did they not all get up and silently walk out?
Maybe someday we will know the facts.
I doubt I would have been able to remain calm and silent after 16 hours. Who knows maybe they were as quiet as possible.
They were in a desperate situation.
I am sorry this crazy person was able to harm so many people.
My question is why was he out of jail and not under some kind of watch?
This is like the Boston bomber. A person known to police, but yet able to slip through somehow.

"The definition of terrorism is the unofficial or unauthorised
use of violence and intimidation in pursuit of political aims. He was a cleric who held strong ideological views in regards to his religion and the events unfolding in the Middle East. He knew exactly what he was doing. There is zero evidence this guy had a mental illness and he was completely aware and in control of his actions. Labelling him as mentally ill is an insult and removes his accountability. I suppose Russel Brand would say the individuals who killed 132 Pakistani children
were mentally ill as well…"

From a friend of mine

Russel Brand uses his large vocabulary to fool people he is intelligent

Back