Skip to main content

Martin Place evacuated, hostages held at Lindt Cafe

I think it was essential to bring up she was there because she is describing the atmosphere there. It makes sense to bring it up
Well I went there on my lunch break, purchased flowers to lay down and didn't mention it once on social media and didn't really tell anyone. Many of my friends went as well throughout the day and didn't feel the need to do so either.

Well I went there on my lunch break, purchased flowers to lay down and didn't mention it once on social media and didn't really tell anyone. Many of my friends went as well throughout the day and didn't feel the need to do so either.
That's lovely what you did. But I don't think it's bad to say you went there. For me it is lovely to see people commenting about it and describing the essence of people coming together. I guess that is how I viewed the post from jade.

Forums are a form of social media. You jumped on here and told us and posted a pic.

Social media is how some people share their lives. I can't see why saying you are there for the memorial is bad at all? The selfies happening whilst the siege was going on probably lacked taste.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what Jade tweeted personally. You can see in the pic that she is genuinely moved by it all and I'm sure her getting a close up on camera is no stunt. Everyone is commenting about it, and why not, it's the in forefront of everyones mind and I think it's good to maintain a dialogue about it all, within reason.

If people wish to go privately then that's fine too, however anyone wishes to pay their respect is fine, as long as it is actually respectful of course, which for Jade it 100% is. I don't think people are posting about it to try and get attention or recognition for being so benevolent, I think they are just utilising the medium available to share what's on their mind, which just happens to be this horrific thing.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what Jade tweeted personally. You can see in the pic that she is genuinely moved by it all and I'm sure her getting a close up on camera is no stunt. Everyone is commenting about it, and why not, it's the in forefront of everyones mind and I think it's good to maintain a dialogue about it all, within reason.

If people wish to go privately then that's fine too, however anyone wishes to pay their respect is fine, as long as it is actually respectful of course, which for Jade it 100% is. I don't think people are posting about it to try and get attention or recognition for being so benevolent, I think they are just utilising the medium available to share what's on their mind, which just happens to be this horrific thing.
I disagree on one point that just from the brief Twitter checks I did today and yesterday I did see people who I would suspect were trying to get attention or recognition. And to be honest if this one of a few other HMs, the cynical side of me would wonder what their motives were as bad as that is to say. But with Jade, nah. She's got a big heart and has always - from what we've seen at least - worn it on her sleeve, sometimes to her detriment. There will always be the rubberneckers and publicity seekers - we had them on 9/11 and that was well before iphones were invented let alone smartphones as ubiquitous as microwaves yet people were still running home to grab flip cams to record not only awful scenes but also their mere presence at the scene days after - but even my Grinch heart wouldn't put her in this category. She shared what she was feeling and a Ch 9 cameraperson recognised her and got the shot. That's all I took from that.

I disagree on one point that just from the brief Twitter checks I did today and yesterday I did see people who I would suspect were trying to get attention or recognition. And to be honest if this one of a few other HMs, the cynical side of me would wonder what their motives were as bad as that is to say. But with Jade, nah. She's got a big heart and has always - from what we've seen at least - worn it on her sleeve, sometimes to her detriment. There will always be the rubberneckers and publicity seekers - we had them on 9/11 and that was well before iphones were invented let alone smartphones as ubiquitous as microwaves yet people were still running home to grab flip cams to record not only awful scenes but also their mere presence at the scene days after - but even my Grinch heart wouldn't put her in this category. She shared what she was feeling and a Ch 9 cameraperson recognised her and got the shot. That's all I took from that.

You know, I do actually agree with you that some people would be making a big point of it, maybe I'm just thinking wishfully in hoping they do not make up the majority. I see things on social media where people post about - for example - a stranger leaving their money in the ATM and them making a big point to get it back to the person. Like that's great, but there is no need to make a big public point about it, and I guess sadly these same types of people are operating this way with an event like this. I guess it's less obvious to me because it is such a big event and everyone is talking about it, so the show-offs almost blend. Almost.

It is totally chilling to me how people record these things almost on first instinct, I once walked past an awful car accident and everyone had their iphones out taking photos. I find it bad enough how everyone has to stand around watching, especially without even trying to help.

You are bang on in your assessment of Jade, I think that's why I find her tweet and her presence so inoffensive.

Well they are back at it again......http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30491435

This time its Muslim children of army personnel in a school.

There has to be something in the Koran that inspires so many different groups on several different continents to consider it their duty to eliminate anyone who does not buy into their specific interpretation. Its really time...and necessary for their survival and to gain trust for the Muslim communities in every country to step to the fore in eradicating this vermin and speaking out in force rather than just through token gestures. The entire community has to be shown to be opposed by demonstrating in numbers rather than through a few representatives who may or may not be sincere.

It has to be said that when the dictators such as Assad, Mubarak and Hussein were in full command that at least religious minorities were respected and allowed to practice without discrimination. Once the barriers came down and Muslim religious leaders were given more power they immediately attacked and persecuted these minorities...eg Coptic Christians in Egypt, Yazahdi Christians in Iraq and many other offshoots of the Muslim religion have also suffered under the boot if their interpretations of the Koran are of significant difference.

Western countries have to be on the alert as to the level of their Muslim populations because it appears that once they become a significant minority....over 5% they can become very dangerous to the stability of that country. Britain is getting to the point where they can attest to that and France is already there.

A horrible war which is being prepared in the west,
The following year the pestilence will come,
So very horrible that young nor old,
nor animal (may survive).
Blood fire Mercury Mars Jupiter in France

The time will be filthy, pestilent and violent,
A terrible Moslem attack and invasion.
Great disasters are made in April
And great persons will be ridiculed

The cruel sect of the Moslems will come,
Hiding weapons under their robes.
Their leader will take Florence and burn it twice,
Sending ahead clever men without laws.

regarDS

Forums are a form of social media. You jumped on here and told us and posted a pic.

Social media is how some people share their lives. I can't see why saying you are there for the memorial is bad at all? The selfies happening whilst the siege was going on probably lacked taste.
You seem to have an issue with me… I see what you're saying. And I posted the picture on THIS forum because everyone was talking about it and I work two blocks away from it and thought some people might like to see a photo of what was happening from a forum member. I didn't have to post it.

All my point was, it's about the victims.

You know, I do actually agree with you that some people would be making a big point of it, maybe I'm just thinking wishfully in hoping they do not make up the majority. I see things on social media where people post about - for example - a stranger leaving their money in the ATM and them making a big point to get it back to the person. Like that's great, but there is no need to make a big public point about it, and I guess sadly these same types of people are operating this way with an event like this. I guess it's less obvious to me because it is such a big event and everyone is talking about it, so the show-offs almost blend. Almost.

It is totally chilling to me how people record these things almost on first instinct, I once walked past an awful car accident and everyone had their iphones out taking photos. I find it bad enough how everyone has to stand around watching, especially without even trying to help.

You are bang on in your assessment of Jade, I think that's why I find her tweet and her presence so inoffensive.
This is what annoys me. It's turning into an ego thing with some people. Like the girl who died at the Harbourlife music festival, when she was passing out and convulsing people were snap chatting/filming her instead of helping her.

Anyone know where the false rumour of Katrina Dawson dying to save her pregnant friend came from?

This photo and this one identify the woman as Julie Taylor aka 'the pregnant friend'. However, look at this photo of the final group of hostages to escape prior to the first shot being fired - she's in that group, and this was before a single shot was fired. It's highly likely that the first shot (that triggered the police raid) was fired at Tori Johnson - since it makes no sense for Monis to randomly fire at someone who was doing everything he wanted, rather than someone who had lunged at the gun twice.

The only time I've heard anything that indicates that Katrina may have been shot first was on 7NEWS when Chris Reason reported early yesterday morning that a woman might have been the target of the shot that triggered the raid. But since the news of Tori's second lunge at the gun broke later on, it seems... odd he would have shot her at all.

She was either caught in the crossfire and/or died of the originally reported heart attack.

Last edited:
You seem to have an issue with me… I see what you're saying. And I posted the picture on THIS forum because everyone was talking about it and I work two blocks away from it and thought some people might like to see a photo of what was happening from a forum member. I didn't have to post it.

All my point was, it's about the victims.
I've no issue with you personally. I didn't say what you did was bad, I appreciated seeing the pic which is a display of people showing their respects. . Just as I appreciated that Jade paid her respects.

:)

She was either caught in the crossfire and/or died of the originally reported heart attack.
I don't know where the rumor came from, but the media is pretty good at speculation which then gets told by social media as 'true'.

I can't remember where I heard of Dawson's heart attack report from but I'm sticking with that until the dust settles and we hear otherwise. It's quite possible that she was shot but succumbed to a heart attack, rather than a gunshot wound.

Well they are back at it again......http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30491435

This time its Muslim children of army personnel in a school.

There has to be something in the Koran that inspires so many different groups on several different continents to consider it their duty to eliminate anyone who does not buy into their specific interpretation. Its really time...and necessary for their survival and to gain trust for the Muslim communities in every country to step to the fore in eradicating this vermin and speaking out in force rather than just through token gestures. The entire community has to be shown to be opposed by demonstrating in numbers rather than through a few representatives who may or may not be sincere.

It has to be said that when the dictators such as Assad, Mubarak and Hussein were in full command that at least religious minorities were respected and allowed to practice without discrimination. Once the barriers came down and Muslim religious leaders were given more power they immediately attacked and persecuted these minorities...eg Coptic Christians in Egypt, Yazahdi Christians in Iraq and many other offshoots of the Muslim religion have also suffered under the boot if their interpretations of the Koran are of significant difference.

Western countries have to be on the alert as to the level of their Muslim populations because it appears that once they become a significant minority....over 5% they can become very dangerous to the stability of that country. Britain is getting to the point where they can attest to that and France is already there.

Seriously I am pissed off by the above but I won't write what I want to write in reply to the above as it will no doubt be deleted. Seems anti-muslim sentiment is ok on this forum but post any home truths about other religions, and your posts get deleted.

I don't know where the rumor came from, but the media is pretty good at speculation which then gets told by social media as 'true'.

I can't remember where I heard of Dawson's heart attack report from but I'm sticking with that until the dust settles and we hear otherwise. It's quite possible that she was shot but succumbed to a heart attack, rather than a gunshot wound.
I initially heard of it after there had been two confirmed deaths (Monis and Johnson), and then a short while later rumours began circulating of a third death (Dawson) from a heart attack on Twitter (no idea where they originated from though), then media got a hold of it. Police didn't acknowledge this death until the press release just prior to the media conference.

Back