Skip to main content

Martin Place evacuated, hostages held at Lindt Cafe

We pray for the hostages and their families. You can watch the 7News livestream @ 7news.com.au// NZ can watch @ 3news.co.nz

Last edited:
This is insane. I'm not a Sydneysider --- is Martin Place close to the Opera House/Harbour Bridge/Circular Quay area?

So I guess the concern that the two incidents (this and package at Opera House) could be linked isn't an overreaction...

There has been talk it was a badly timed practise drill, but nothing has been said officially, not much info about the package has been spoken of from what I have seen, but if not, it wouldn't be stretch as these types of attacks usually have more than one event, first one acting as a distraction

Then there was mention of a package at a hospital. You can see why authorities ask media to be careful what they report, it has the potential to cause hysteria

It was an eye hospital near by, they got the guy who was looking suspicious at that hospital. Thought to have had a gun but not much was said about it after he was caught

They are still treating it as an 'armed robbery' and not a terrorist attack. The police and government procedure changes once it is a terrorist attack.

I hope the hostages are ok, and he is treating them with some care. This is horrible!

I wonder if this is linked to the Martin Place terrorist rumour that was doing the rounds a few months ago?

This whole story sounds off. Why would anyone attempt an armed robbery of a cafe in broad daylight? A diamond theft maybe, but a cafe?
I hope for the best possible outcome for all the hostages.

Then there was mention of a package at a hospital. You can see why authorities ask media to be careful what they report, it has the potential to cause hysteria

The media is usually the one to cause that hysteria, on purpose

This whole story sounds off. Why would anyone attempt an armed robbery of a cafe in broad daylight? A diamond theft maybe, but a cafe?
I hope for the best possible outcome for all the hostages.

They have to be extremely careful with the way they respond to the situation and the wording used not only for the media and general public but for future prosecution, Im sure they know so much more than we know they know, they also have to be careful due to rising racial tension, Im not sure if you have looked on social media at all, but some people are reacting in a very unhelpful way, profiling, generalising etc

They have to be extremely careful with the way they respond to the situation and the wording used not only for the media and general public but for future prosecution, Im sure they know so much more than we know they know, they also have to be careful due to rising racial tension, Im not sure if you have looked on social media at all, but some people are reacting in a very unhelpful way, profiling, generalising etc
No I don't follow news on social media. I agree that the police need to be very careful, but this story is not really credible.
I agree that the media spreads hysteria for their own benefit. They should broadcast the message to stay calm more clearly.

No I don't follow news on social media. I agree that the police need to be very careful, but this story is not really credible.
I agree that the media spreads hysteria for their own benefit. They should broadcast the message to stay calm more clearly.

I am a little suss about it myself.

It really is disheartening to see jokes being made about such events and worse that people use this as an opportunity for their own bigoted thoughts on social media. Extremism exists, but spreading hate does not help anyone.

I haven't looked online as I have no doubt it will be the same old same old.

Back