Skip to main content

Martin Place evacuated, hostages held at Lindt Cafe

I have been wondering. The police had one of their "sharp shooters" (read: sniper) with a Channel Seven cameraman across Martin Place looking down into the Lindt Cafe, but I have wondered ever since if the police had access to the cafe's internal cameras during the siege. As can be seen in the below image there are security cameras in there. I can log into my workplace's camera system on my phone and home computer so I would be surprised if the police did not manage that in this case, to get a much clearer picture of what was going on in there.

Sydney-siege-011.jpg

I know not all surveillance systems have web access but in this day and age I think it'd be pretty unusual.

...when looking at that photo I do have to wonder why the Police snipers didn't take him out before two innocent people died from the ordeal?... people will say that you have to try negotiating with people like that and try all other means to 'talk him down' etc... (you know... protocols and political correctness and all that type of crap)... but those types of people can't be reasoned with in my opinion... if they shot him there and then two people would be alive now wouldn't they?... they should've taken the shot... it may sound a tad bit harsh but damn his rights!... damn him to hell!... he should've been stopped!... just my opinion peoples... cheers.

...when looking at that photo I do have to wonder why the Police snipers didn't take him out before two innocent people died from the ordeal?... people will say that you have to try negotiating with people like that and try all other means to 'talk him down' etc... (you know... protocols and political correctness and all that type of crap)... but those types of people can't be reasoned with in my opinion... if they shot him there and then two people would be alive now wouldn't they?... they should've taken the shot... it may sound a tad bit harsh but damn his rights!... damn him to hell!... he should've been stopped!... just my opinion peoples... cheers.
Problem is he was saying he had bombs both there and around the city. If he was telling the truth (which we now know he wasn't, but didn't know at the time) that could have cause more deaths. Tricky and horrible situation.

Reactions: Tee
Is it just me or was '60 Minutes' version a lot different than the one on channel 7. The guy who snuck out first was interviewed on channel 7 and mentioned that he was at the window and then when Monis had his back turned, he snuck through a tiny gap between a Lindt Cafe sign and the window to reach the door. '60 Minutes' had them all sitting down at tables and then showed the guy just running to the door. I don't know if you found it like this but it seemed quite odd, like '60 Minutes' was just changing the story to get more ratings :/

Problem is he was saying he had bombs both there and around the city. If he was telling the truth (which we now know he wasn't, but didn't know at the time) that could have cause more deaths. Tricky and horrible situation.

...yeah that's true Bleachy but still... if I was one of the hostages in that cafe' I would've been willing for them to shoot him dead... if he did have bombs on him I would've wanted them to take the chance and would've just hoped that his brain didn't have time to react and set the bombs off... I guess that it's easy for me to say that being that I wasn't there and the fact that we have hindsight now of course... but as I say... I would've been there saying over and over within myself... "shoot him!... shoot him"... that's the kind of person that I am...

...if I was in charge of the operation... (which obviously I have absolutely no credentials whatsoever to be of course)... I would've given the order to shoot... (based upon what I just said above)... situations like that are tricky and horrible I agree but I still feel that 2 people would still be alive now if a sniper had taken that shot... just my 2 cents worth... cheers.

Is it just me or was '60 Minutes' version a lot different than the one on channel 7. The guy who snuck out first was interviewed on channel 7 and mentioned that he was at the window and then when Monis had his back turned, he snuck through a tiny gap between a Lindt Cafe sign and the window to reach the door. '60 Minutes' had them all sitting down at tables and then showed the guy just running to the door. I don't know if you found it like this but it seemed quite odd, like '60 Minutes' was just changing the story to get more ratings :/

...Channel 9 and 60 Minutes stretching the truth to get ratings???... naaaaaaaaaah!... NEVER!!!... lol!... cheers.

I think it is kind of off that these interviews went ahead. It seems wrong imo.

I know what happened given news coverage and that's all I need to know.
This is their story. It was a tragic event that had us transfixed as a nation united in fear, and if the surviving hostages feel they want to share what they endured, and viewers want to watch, who are you to judge that as "wrong" from the safety of your lounge room?

It is important to remember that when reliving an event, you will retell it how you individually remembered it. Sometimes memories become confused and blurred. Particularly in a violent and volatile situation.

60 Minutes and the special on 7 were all about ratings, that's why the pitted the shows against each other.

This was a real and tragic situation that happened to real people. While I didn't watch either program, I hope the networks honoured the survivors and their individual stories.

Anyone able to work their magic on the 9Jumpin stream of 60 Minutes so that the raw link to the .mp4 file is found so anyone can watch it, regardless of geographical location? :D

Anyone able to work their magic on the 9Jumpin stream of 60 Minutes so that the raw link to the .mp4 file is found so anyone can watch it, regardless of geographical location? :D
Where are you?!

This is their story. It was a tragic event that had us transfixed as a nation united in fear, and if the surviving hostages feel they want to share what they endured, and viewers want to watch, who are you to judge that as "wrong" from the safety of your lounge room?
It's called having an opinion, angry ant.

Boy you have a massive chip on your should always telling people off. Fuck you.

It's called having an opinion, angry ant.

Boy you have a massive chip on your should always telling people off. Fuck you.
I am in no way angry or annoyed. And I wasn't "telling you off". I was simply sharing my opinion in response to your opinion.

It is called a discussion.

It's okay when people disagree.

No need for swearing and name calling.

Check your PMs. I can't find part 5 on jumpin though. :watching:

How many 'parts' are there? I can see parts 2 to 8 (missing part 5 also).

Typical "catch-up-TV" in this country. They can't get it right. :rolleyes: :mad:

How many 'parts' are there? I can see parts 2 to 8 (missing part 5 also).

Typical "catch-up-TV" in this country. They can't get it right. :rolleyes: :mad:

I assume the 8 parts. Part 1 is on the home page but when you go to videos it disappears along with the elusive part 5.

:wacky:

Part 5 does now appear on the jump-in page, once you load one of the other parts it appears in the horizontal selection. It's so stupid that left to play automatically, they're all out of order! :mad:

Part 5 does now appear on the jump-in page, once you load one of the other parts it appears in the horizontal selection. It's so stupid that left to play automatically, they're all out of order! :mad:

Jump-In-:poop:

Most of the catch-up sites are crap. Especially when posting multipart episodes. TEN weren't much better back in 05/06 with segments missing or only playing a portion of their full running time.

One would think it would be all worked out these days, but no. :arghh:

After watching both specials (thanks @Consuela for Nine's), 60 Minutes was definitely the better of the two.

They won by securing Jarrod Hoffman and Fiona Ma - the two with perhaps the most to tell given how much 'responsibility' they were given - and they had at least one person from each group of people leaving the building (except the 4:58pm escape). The only real advantage Seven had was they had both Elly Chen and Jieun Bae to detail their 4:58pm escape, but other than that Seven didn't really have anything else unique.

After watching both specials (thanks @Consuela for Nine's), 60 Minutes was definitely the better of the two.

They won by securing Jarrod Hoffman and Fiona Ma - the two with perhaps the most to tell given how much 'responsibility' they were given - and they had at least one person from each group of people leaving the building (except the 4:58pm escape). The only real advantage Seven had was they had both Elly Chen and Jieun Bae to detail their 4:58pm escape, but other than that Seven didn't really have anything else unique.

Yeah I totally agree. I usually watch Seven but I recorded theirs and watched Nine's because they seemed to have the better people. So I'm not surprised that Nine won the ratings war.

Back