Skip to main content

Martin Place evacuated, hostages held at Lindt Cafe

My thoughts are with the deceased hostages and their families, friends and loved ones. I also hope for speedy recovery for the hostages that sustained bullet wounds during the ordeal.

I am amazed that this guy was on bail, though it appears that the case against him for being an accessory to murder was classed by the magistrate to be a "weak" one, hence him being on bail.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...781538379?nk=c9fcc1c3e5b761018f9f2a0bd8ecbb78

The turning point for his actions yesterday is likely to have been his failed last appeal to the high court on the Friday before the incident yesterday.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-...s-numerous-court-appearances-revealed/5970678

How we deal with this kind of thing in the future - foreseeing such potential to commit such acts - is beyond me.
Yeah it's so hard. All these statements of disbelief that he was granted bail, the evidence was apparently weak so what are they to do?
He wasn't on the security watch list as he hadn't actually done anything or even looked like he was doing something that would link him to an extremist action. Yes he held horrible views but there are many people who hold abhorrent views. It doesn't mean they will act upon it.

Bloody hell it just keeps going - hoax bomb threat at Westfields earlier and now Charles Street has been cordoned off because of a bomb threat at Police HQ

Well, the NSW police commissioner has said several times that if you see anything suspicious to call the National Security Hotline, and I'm sure the media have probably played that sound bite to death.

In the wake of yesterday's events, it's understandable that people are perhaps being excessively observant.

Will our Government, now wake the fuck up and do something about the pathetic bail laws in our country? This animal should never have been allowed to walk the streets given the string of offenses he has committed. So how many more innocent people have to die before they take real action? I have no faith in our Government. They have let the friends and family of the victims down and overall the citizens of Australia.

They have blood on their hands as far as I am concerned.

I am amazed that this guy was on bail, though it appears that the case against him for being an accessory to murder was classed by the magistrate to be a "weak" one, hence him being on bail.

Yet another thing that Canadians appear to share with Aussies....a weak judicial system which allows killers and criminals to be walking the streets and not really paying the price for their crimes...given more consideration than their victims.

They said on the news before that Tori Johnson might have tackled the gunman twice, including earlier?

Last edited:
I went down to Martin Place on my lunch break today to lay down some flowers. I wasn't prepared for how emotional it would be. Walking up there was a group of seven buddhists singing together, trying to cheer everyone up. There were grown men crying in the crowd. It was beautiful to see Sydney coming together as one. Here is one photo I took. 10850266_661346087097_4617514877776523676_n.jpg g

This segment of Screenwipe has some interesting points on news coverage that seem relevant.

It makes one think of home, something like this. I used to work as a court reporter in that area.

I hope this is handled well, going forward, and not with a 9/11 style carte blanche to invade dusty countries.

I went down to Martin Place on my lunch break today to lay down some flowers. I wasn't prepared for how emotional it would be. Walking up there was a group of seven buddhists singing together, trying to cheer everyone up. There were grown men crying in the crowd. It was beautiful to see Sydney coming together as one. Here is one photo I took.
great photo. I was emotional just watching it on TV. I couldn't go to work today as I am drained having stayed up most of the night and then still quite upset this morning.

They said on the news before that Tori Johnson might have tackled the gunman twice, including earlier?
I heard that too. I wonder if they were referring to the first hostages fleeing. Such a brave thing to do, not knowing if there was a bomb or not. I guess he may have felt a sense of doom and thought he had to try something. We'll never understand how difficult it must have been just being held hostage all that time. So brave, all of them.

Driving to work today I looked at everything differently. Everyone and everything was, for a little while, a potential threat. Heightened senses perhaps or just appreciating and noticing all that is out and about. No idea. It only lasted the 20 minute drive.

This segment of Screenwipe has some interesting points on news coverage that seem relevant.

It makes one think of home, something like this. I used to work as a court reporter in that area.

I hope this is handled well, going forward, and not with a 9/11 style carte blanche to invade dusty countries.

It is a fine line with the media. The public want to know, and therefore the extended coverage is there because of demand. I did switch off for a while, but curiosity and concern kept drawing me back. I was impressed that all media was respectful of police requests and did not report on all that was happening and what was known. And for the most part mostly the reporting was factual.

It is a fine line with the media. The public want to know, and therefore the extended coverage is there because of demand. I did switch off for a while, but curiosity and concern kept drawing me back. I was impressed that all media was respectful of police requests and did not report on all that was happening and what was known. And for the most part mostly the reporting was factual.
Yes, I kept coming back too. It reminded me of 9/11 as I was in San Francisco at the time. We ended up leaving the house just to stop watching the tv coverage. I think we want to see what's going on as it happens rather than in highlights etc. Makes it more real somehow.

After hearing more about the shooter, it was more of a lunatic with a gun than a terror attack though.

We need to keep perspective and not make this about a War on Islam.

He was a nut. A bona fide hate filled nut. I am more disturbed as to how he was out walking the streets despite the fact he had proven he was wicked.
Exactly. He's not a radical, he's not politically motivated, he's not a devout follower or member of anything. He's a malicious, sex offending, murderer who pretends to be something more significant because he thinks that'll make him look scarier. He's used Islam as an excuse to be violent and he's used Islamaphobia.

This seige happened because he didn't want to go to gaol for the revolting crimes for which he was charged, so he plays the role that gets him most attention. Essentially, he's an immature, bully, scared of consequences and unable to cope when things don't go his way.

I went down to Martin Place on my lunch break today to lay down some flowers. I wasn't prepared for how emotional it would be. Walking up there was a group of seven buddhists singing together, trying to cheer everyone up. There were grown men crying in the crowd. It was beautiful to see Sydney coming together as one. Here is one photo I took.
An amazing tribute. Some news outlets saying Sydney Florists have run out of stock.

As an aside (and considering the forum we belong to) I was gobsmacked when watching NINE's coverage for a change (usually watch BBC or ABC24 in these instances) and they crossed live to Martin Place, I saw this:

2014-12-16 JadeAlbany Martin Place 60.jpg

Confirmed by this:

An amazing tribute. Some news outlets saying Sydney Florists have run out of stock.

As an aside (and considering the forum we belong to) I was gobsmacked when watching NINE's coverage for a change (usually watch BBC or ABC24 in these instances) and they crossed live to Martin Place, I saw this:

View attachment 48049

Confirmed by this:

Gobsmacked indeed. She didn't really have to announce on social media she was there.

Exactly. He's not a radical, he's not politically motivated, he's not a devout follower or member of anything. He's a malicious, sex offending, murderer who pretends to be something more significant because he thinks that'll make him look scarier. He's used Islam's name to be violent and he's used Islamaphobia to instill fear.

This seige happened because he didn't want to go to gaol for the revolting crimes for which he was charged, so he plays the role that gets him most attention. Essentially, he's an immature, bully, scared of consequences and unable to cope when things don't go his way.
Since at least 2007 he's been sending letters to all sorts of politicians, within Australia and overseas, and the NSW Police Commisioner and many news outlets. Poltiical? Hmmm. Jury's out methinks

Gobsmacked indeed. She didn't really have to announce on social media she was there.
I'm no social media user, but isn't that what "thems young folks" do on social media? Tell everybody what they're doing and where they are at all hours of the day? ;)

EDIT: I am hoping it was just an eagle eyed cameraman. I seriously doubt it was a stunt on her part.

Back