Skip to main content

Last movie you saw

I was just reading that Mel Gibson is going to make an epic Viking movie. Leonardo DiCaprio is going to be the lead. Despite the fact that I don't like Mel or Leo, I'm still super excited by the project already! :D

I just watched, well, partially, "The Road" with Viggo Mortenson, not out yet, but I wouldn't waste your money. Watched about 1 hour of it and then forwarded through the rest. Feels like I had been watching it for 3 hours it was that boring and slow.

Oh I just about have this (give me a few more hours). Have you read the book because when you think about it, not that much happens in the book, it's all about emotions and the journey I suppose, translating that to film would be quite a feat. I'm not holding much hope for the movie, just want to see it for curiousity.

It is getting good reviews. You are right, the book isn't some high action thriller. It's low key, and very bleak. I guess if the movie is as bleak, a lot of people will have trouble with it.

Hey, it's got Viggo in it. It's gotta be good.

It is getting good reviews. You are right, the book isn't some high action thriller. It's low key, and very bleak. I guess if the movie is as bleak, a lot of people will have trouble with it.

Hey, it's got Viggo in it. It's gotta be good.

Ha ha, yes Viggo. :)

James Cameron plagiarised aspects of Avatar ?

In relation to James Cameron's "Avatar" I found a book at a book exchange in Esperance that has the potential to see Cameron having to answer to plagiarism.

The atrocious 1993 novel is called "Hidden Echoes" and its cover and the odd inbetween chapter illustrations done by one Geoff Taylor look like adverts for Avatar.

I'll scan the cover in when I get back home so you can see what I mean. The only link I can find for it so far is: http://www.itks-training.com:8888/e... Jefferies/Mike Jefferies - Hidden Echoes.pdf but it won't load at this internut cafe.

The cover features a blueskinned body-marked "noble savage" and another of his kin is shown riding a "dragma" which look quite like the creatures ridden in Avatar. Also, the chief of the lands seeks to tame and ride a more fearsome flying beasty, much like in Avatar, and in a cross-over of worls, helicopters and fighter planes go up against such a beasty only to be grabbed and flung out of the sky, etc ... much like in Avatar.

ButOfCourse I'll be doing what I can to see that this obscure and badly written/annoying novel gets a bit of current attention, even if only to be a minor bit of ice in the course of the greeny juggernaught. :)

A picture worth a thousand words and all that, so stay tuned for the scanned cover.

Okay, back to my holiday.

regarDS

Hidden Echoes by Mike Jefferies
Three strangers are pulled into a parallel world, where they encounter menacing obstacles as they try to prevent the impending destruction of Earth as predicted by Nostradamus.

OH MY GOD!
That's exactly the plot of Avatar! Except for the parrellel universe one, stopping the destruction of the earth and the involvement of predictions by Nostradamus, but other wise, wow!

When you're off with your flaming pitchforks because cameron didn't invent the idea of blue skin, go after the blue man group while you're at it. And Luc Besson for the blue opera alien in the fifth element, oh and mystic the blue xmen chick, and I think there were blue aliens in farscape, startrek and other sci-fi shows. Make them Pay!

In relation to James Cameron's "Avatar" I found a book at a book exchange in Esperance that has the potential to see Cameron having to answer to plagiarism.

The atrocious 1993 novel is called "Hidden Echoes" and its cover and the odd inbetween chapter illustrations done by one Geoff Taylor look like adverts for Avatar.

I'll scan the cover in when I get back home so you can see what I mean. The only link I can find for it so far is: http://www.itks-training.com:8888/e... Jefferies/Mike Jefferies - Hidden Echoes.pdf but it won't load at this internut cafe.

The cover features a blueskinned body-marked "noble savage" and another of his kin is shown riding a "dragma" which look quite like the creatures ridden in Avatar. Also, the chief of the lands seeks to tame and ride a more fearsome flying beasty, much like in Avatar, and in a cross-over of worls, helicopters and fighter planes go up against such a beasty only to be grabbed and flung out of the sky, etc ... much like in Avatar.

ButOfCourse I'll be doing what I can to see that this obscure and badly written/annoying novel gets a bit of current attention, even if only to be a minor bit of ice in the course of the greeny juggernaught. :)

A picture worth a thousand words and all that, so stay tuned for the scanned cover.

Okay, back to my holiday.

regarDS

It's a rip off of everything! Like Ferngully meets the smurfs.

This is the cover Ders is talking about

51cEcm8y6sL._SS500_.jpg

And he's right the book is kind of similar to Avatar, but only here and there.

The Proposal on DVD.

Enjoyable fluff, I love Sandra Bullock in anything, Ryan Reynolds is smokin' hot, & Betty White is hilarious.

The Proposal on DVD.

Enjoyable fluff, I love Sandra Bullock in anything, Ryan Reynolds is smokin' hot, & Betty White is hilarious.

MMMMMMMMMM, Ryan Reynolds is so hot, I feel like writing everything I would do to him and let him do to me on here, but I think I would get flagged LOL :eek:

Young Victoria - quite an enjoyable movie, nothing exciting or exceptional about it at all, just a well told factural story. I didn't know anything about Queen Victoria only that she stayed around for forever and built lots of things, lol. Or should I say lots of things were built in her honour. So
I learnt some things I didn't know.

Anyway, I love a good period drama and this didnt disappoint.

I just watched "It's Complicated" and it was outstanding! Meryl Streep is one of the finest actresses I have ever seen. It was so funny, witty and cleverly done! Alec Baldwin was also fantastic. Would recommend it to all!

We just came back from it! It was awesome! We really enjoyed it, including my 27 year old boofhead husband, who only agreed to come because it was air conditioned and the only movie on... 8.5 stars.

Steve Martin was awesome, really enjoyed his character. So was Harvey.... he is very much like my husband, and how he fits in with my family.

how funny and how true to life was it in New York, after their first shag, she starts freaking out and he justs leans over and grabs her vadge... I pmsl when I saw that, its such a man/woman relationship kind of thing

how funny was the joint at the party... hehhehehheheheh

T said the kids were a bit of prats when they discovered what was happening... I said well, what would happen if your mum and dad got back together... he then went mmmmm I cant even remember them being a couple- which is exactly a line in the movie! He then went, no I dont think they were prats at all!

How hilarious was the notebook on the bed bahahhahahhahahahhahah

oh yeah, and that look on Jake's face when he realises that his new life isnt what it was cracked up to be, when he watches them sit down to dinner... sort of reminded me of how my dad acts when he sees us with our mum...

Last edited:
Yup, that's the one. Cheers CLE.

Here is to seeing that book cover spread far and wide. :)

regarDS

People only read the blurb and don't look any further then that... They see the bit about three strangers drawn into a parallel world and dismiss the book. But there's all that stuff with the dragmas and the helicopters. Most of it happened in Avatar already hehe.

Duplicity on DVD. Not bad, but a little too complicated for its own good (ie. it's never very clear what's going on). Julia Roberts was pretty good, Clive Owen was adequate.

The full version of Geoff Taylor's 1993 artwork for Mike Jeffries "Hidden Echoes" that James Cameron seems to have "borrowed" the odd visual and idea from for his modern day "cowboys and indian's" movie called "avatar".

View attachment 25660

Artwork found at: http://www.munchkinpress.com/cpg149/displayimage.php?album=61&pos=55

And then there is this: http://www.screenjunkies.com/movienews/james-cameron-may-have-committed-avatar-plagiarism

"Like Avatar, Call Me Joe centers on a paraplegic — Ed Anglesey — who telepathically connects with an artificially created life form in order to explore a harsh planet (in this case, Jupiter). Anglesey, like Avatar's Jake Sully, revels in the freedom and strength of his artificial created body, battles predators on the surface of Jupiter, and gradually goes native as he spends more time connected to his artificial body."

also, from: http://smellslikescreenspirit.com/2...d-or-plagiarized/comment-page-1/#comment-1070

To Avatar fans and readers:

James Cameron “claims” he started writing the script to Avatar in 1995. Really?
The movie Avatar appears to be nothing more and nothing less than an updated, plagiarized version of the 1955 Robert Silverberg sci-fi novel, “Revolt on Alpha C”, which was written two years earlier than the Anderson novel.

In Silverberg’s novel, an earthman takes an interstellar voyage to an enchanted planet, complete with lush, rain forests and FLYING REPTILES, to help put down a revolt of the local inhabitants. Once he wins the confidence of the locals, he begins to empathize with them, and,at the last minute, switches sides and fights on their side. Sound familiar?

Many of the specific avatar components may well be from Anderson’s 1957 novel, but the main storyline is so very similar to Silverberg’s 1955 novel, which Mr. Cameron undoubtedly read in his youth. Any sci-fi buff is aware of these two 1950’s novels.

regarDS

Last edited:
Duplicity on DVD. Not bad, but a little too complicated for its own good (ie. it's never very clear what's going on). Julia Roberts was pretty good, Clive Owen was adequate.

I found this movie VERY hard to understand Meglos, therefore I didn't overly enjoy it that much.

I found this movie VERY hard to understand Meglos, therefore I didn't overly enjoy it that much.

I know right!

It picked up a bit towards the end when Julia was photocopying stuff, but until then me & my mum were like "wtf are they doing now?" Without the f, obviously.

Back