Skip to main content

Last movie you saw

Well this was a pretty awesome movie. But theres a few interesting things here to think about. People still work and play, but they don't leave their homes to do that. Instead they plug into robotic manequins of themselves that go about their daily lives and they live vicariously thorugh their surrogates.

Well some people might find that idea appealing, but I prefer living in a world where you talk to actual living people, and can have real interactions, rather then the virtual.

Also I just realized that what we see in the movie is similar to the real doll. www.realdoll.com if you are curious. Those things have popped up in various movies and TV shows including CSI. To me the robots of Surrogates are just an evolution or two up from the real dolls.

However having said all that and all the good stuff about the movie that whole world is full of discrimination.

If you choose not to have a surrogate you are looked down upon and frowned on. That's the impression I got. Now there's a new kind of discrimination for you. And these poor souls who chose to live a human life are fenced off in their own reservation.

So there's a lot to think about in this film. It's great go see it.

6.5/10

Sounds like an interesting concept.

It's interesting and then you discover that a world like this is really stupid.. Humans only gather to procreate.. At all other times they stay far apart. That just doesn't make sense.

Probably more likely people will upload their consciousness into a Second Life type virtual reality. Only the elite though. Their slaves will be left to toil in the real world.

Probably more likely people will upload their consciousness into a Second Life type virtual reality. Only the elite though. Their slaves will be left to toil in the real world.

Actually no the people that choose not to own a surrogate are in a fenced off reserve... I guess they inherit the Earth when the idiots with surrogates die off.

I saw the Surrogates. And interesting film but despite the talent behind it, it really was a niche film. I enjoyed it, but it's not great, it's not bad. It's more interesting about the concept but yes as i believe the delightful Ms ChocolateLovingEntity said the concept is better than the execution. Not that the execution is bad, it's just not a blockbuster type main stream movie.

In some ways the type of film it was reminded me of 'Strange Days' more just a bit of an exploration of a technological idea. So it's sci-fi doing what sci-fi does. It's a short flick at a rough one and a half hours, but it's not lacking in content, yet not abundant in it either. It's hard to explain. It's more, if you think the concept is interesting, it's a bit of an entertaining exploration of it, that never goes too deep.

I saw the Surrogates. And interesting film but despite the talent behind it, it really was a niche film. I enjoyed it, but it's not great, it's not bad. It's more interesting about the concept but yes as i believe the delightful Ms ChocolateLovingEntity said the concept is better than the execution. Not that the execution is bad, it's just not a blockbuster type main stream movie.

In some ways the type of film it was reminded me of 'Strange Days' more just a bit of an exploration of a technological idea. So it's sci-fi doing what sci-fi does. It's a short flick at a rough one and a half hours, but it's not lacking in content, yet not abundant in it either. It's hard to explain. It's more, if you think the concept is interesting, it's a bit of an entertaining exploration of it, that never goes too deep.

Ms..... Ms........ OMFG I wish people would not do that. Frak.....

I'm not a Ms I have a penis

Good Luck Chuck - terrible movie, Dane cook has 1 and a half facial expressions at the most ...avoid at all costs

Wow, Synecdoche looks interesting. Charlie Kaufman is directing it too. Spike Jonze must have been too busy adapting toddler stories for the screen.

Ms..... Ms........ OMFG I wish people would not do that. Frak.....

I'm not a Ms I have a penis

I just assume everyone on here is a chick.

Like I thought Derspatz surely must have been some crotchety bitter old lady, who wore glasses and never smiled in the company of people. She he liked the company of people, but not to interact unless correcting. She looked like a strict bitter librarian who went through light only ever recieving politeness over genuine friendliness. She didn't care, they were all just jealous.
She's quiet and keps to herself, but after a glass of wine at the rare dinner party she attended, she would suddenly two thirds through the night having not said anything, would chastise people when one of her hot button issues came up. Everyone would sit there kind of shocked as the conversation was not serious to begin with. It's put a dampener on the rest of the night as derspatz filled with energy from her outburst would then try and dominate the conversation. The night will end sooner than planned as people make excuses to leave. Everyone remembers why they don't hang out with her often.
Derspatz then comes home, searches the house for any booze she can, finds some wine only used in cooking, polishes off the box, tears it apart to squeeze out the last drop and eventually collapses on the flaw, sitting up against a kitchen bench quietly sobbing. Throwing the disgarded box and foil bag during an outbust of screaming. Then feeling stupid, momentarily quiets down, before the depression and dark feelings inside spark her off in anger again. She throws the glass across the room.
A few minutes later she cuts her fingers while picking up the glass. But just keeps picking up the glass, piling it in her bare bloody hands, all while still crying. Throws it in the bin, washes her hands and whipes her eyes clean in a mirror, trying not to, but getting a glimpse of herself thinking, "why do they hate me, what have I done, they're the ones with someone wrong. Not me." Smiles, wipes away another single tear.
Then taking a bring breath in to gain some composure she sits down at the computer which is running windows 98, with a big giant crt monitor that's only 15 inch wide and waits for the modem to stop making the dial up noises and then logs onto behind big brother.

On surrogates.
I always like mentioning things that go on in the cinema. Forgot to mention it above, there was a bunch of teenage guys a few rows back who at every add and every shot of an attratice lady in the film, would make noises like "ooooooooooooor!" Just to let everyone know they thought the chick was hot. It went on the entire movie. Then aftwards after complaining about the "shittest ending ever".. which it wasn't at all... started talking about the chicks in the film.

Like I thought Derspatz surely must have been some crotchety bitter old lady, who wore glasses and never smiled in the company of people. She he liked the company of people, but not to interact unless correcting. She looked like a strict bitter librarian who went through light only ever recieving politeness over genuine friendliness. She didn't care, they were all just jealous.
She's quiet and keps to herself, but after a glass of wine at the rare dinner party she attended, she would suddenly two thirds through the night having not said anything, would chastise people when one of her hot button issues came up. Everyone would sit there kind of shocked as the conversation was not serious to begin with. It's put a dampener on the rest of the night as derspatz filled with energy from her outburst would then try and dominate the conversation. The night will end sooner than planned as people make excuses to leave. Everyone remembers why they don't hang out with her often.
Derspatz then comes home, searches the house for any booze she can, finds some wine only used in cooking, polishes off the box, tears it apart to squeeze out the last drop and eventually collapses on the flaw, sitting up against a kitchen bench quietly sobbing. Throwing the disgarded box and foil bag during an outbust of screaming. Then feeling stupid, momentarily quiets down, before the depression and dark feelings inside spark her off in anger again. She throws the glass across the room.
A few minutes later she cuts her fingers while picking up the glass. But just keeps picking up the glass, piling it in her bare bloody hands, all while still crying. Throws it in the bin, washes her hands and whipes her eyes clean in a mirror, trying not to, but getting a glimpse of herself thinking, "why do they hate me, what have I done, they're the ones with someone wrong. Not me." Smiles, wipes away another single tear.
Then taking a bring breath in to gain some composure she sits down at the computer which is running windows 98, with a big giant crt monitor that's only 15 inch wide and waits for the modem to stop making the dial up noises and then logs onto behind big brother.

That...was..awesome!
<3 your writting skills

Lovely. :) lol

I agree with the others too well written

I really should proof read before posting. I always make terrible spelling mistakes. Anyone else go to type but their fingers just type the wrong word? So then the spell checker in firefox doesn't pick it up.

Back