Skip to main content

In The News

...Everyone should accept all methods of payment and to try to force people to do one thing or the other is rather stupid from a business point of view.

Indeed. Until such time as paper/polymer notes are all out of circulation, allowing both is the only option.

However, during these Covid times, it's another point of potential infection.

Hence, I can't decide if I agree with Woolies. 🤷‍♂️😱:conf:🤧

I say good riddance to cash. An outdated notion.

Are you serious mate? Would you be happy if the government said ok people to make it even more convenient for society instead of making people carry around those old dirty outdated plastic credit and/or bank cards, we will just install every citizen with a RFID chip under your skin loaded with all your bank accounts for a seamless clean faster shopping experience... :rolleyes:

If cash goes in a hurry mate this scary scenario might just be around the corner...think about it. O_O :(

I really prefer to use cards rather than cash as I find it more convenient. However I think that everyone should be allowed to choose what method of payment suits them best.

I have a friend who prefers to deal mainly in cash and she is having trouble getting our local shire offices to accept payment of her rates. They refuse to accept anything other than a cheque, direct credit or credit/debit card. She's told them that she doesn't have a cheque book, does not do internet banking and uses her credit card for emergency only things but they still refuse to accept her payment in cash.

Conversely I've run into problems with shop owners who refuse to accept cards...they work on a "cash only" basis. I don't carry any cash so I don't frequent those particular businesses.

Everyone should accept all methods of payment and to try to force people to do one thing or the other is rather stupid from a business point of view.

Your local shire office is that like a council office? Can't pay her shire rates at the local post office? I pay all the household bills and car registration and insurance bills at the post office and they pretty much accept payment in every shape or form...lol. Again I always use cash... ;)

Are you serious mate? Would you be happy if the government said ok people to make it even more convenient for society instead of making people carry around those old dirty outdated plastic credit and/or bank cards, we will just install every citizen with a RFID chip under your skin loaded with all your bank accounts for a seamless clean faster shopping experience... :rolleyes:

If cash goes in a hurry mate this scary scenario might just be around the corner...think about it. O_O :(

Yes, I hate cash because of my fumbly fingers.

Hooray for cards! Boo for cash!

Indeed. Until such time as paper/polymer notes are all out of circulation, allowing both is the only option.

However, during these Covid times, it's another point of potential infection.

Hence, I can't decide if I agree with Woolies. 🤷‍♂️😱:conf:🤧

Mate that's what they want you to think during these Covid times, oh don't use dirty cash it's horrid and virus ridden. There is just as much infection on all the touchscreens and also the keypads at point of sale that are touched by everyone going through them. Then there's all the dirty shopping trolley's, baskets, food items that have all been handled by anyone that could potentially have this virus. It's just common sense to look after yourself during these times. Also for those who carry around one of those new fangled smartphones or whatever with those big touch screens. How many people would go shopping tap away on the shop screens then touch their own phone screen straight after which they carry everywhere with them these days. The potential for virus spreading just never ends...

Where are you? Regional Victoria?
i meant Sephrenia. I know reepbot is on the GC.
Yes.
Your local shire office is that like a council office? Can't pay her shire rates at the local post office? I pay all the household bills and car registration and insurance bills at the post office and they pretty much accept payment in every shape or form...lol. Again I always use cash... ;)
Yes, local council. She tried that but apparently they removed the billpay thing from the rate notices and so the post office could not accept her payment.
Mate that's what they want you to think during these Covid times, oh don't use dirty cash it's horrid and virus ridden. There is just as much infection on all the touchscreens and also the keypads at point of sale that are touched by everyone going through them. Then there's all the dirty shopping trolley's, baskets, food items that have all been handled by anyone that could potentially have this virus. It's just common sense to look after yourself during these times. Also for those who carry around one of those new fangled smartphones or whatever with those big touch screens. How many people would go shopping tap away on the shop screens then touch their own phone screen straight after which they carry everywhere with them these days. The potential for virus spreading just never ends...
And apparently the virus isn't as virulent on hard surfaces in the real world as they would have us believe. The tests they conducted were of course done in laboratory conditions and not truly reflective of every day living. BUT whatever the case...washing your hands thoroughly and frequently is still your best defense.

WTF
News .....why would anyone rely on social media or a browser for actual news?
When real news is available from great real news sites

Had never even looked at Facebook & google news sections
Looked yesterday for first time, as suspected both are crap

Simply never occurred to me to connect news and Facebook, I only use it to connect with family & friends
Google is just a tool to connect me to real news sites like bbc, cnn, abc

WTF
News .....why would anyone rely on social media or a browser for actual news?
When real news is available from great real news sites

Had never even looked at Facebook & google news sections
Looked yesterday for first time, as suspected both are crap

Simply never occurred to me to connect news and Facebook, I only use it to connect with family & friends
Google is just a tool to connect me to real news sites like bbc, cnn, abc

Unfortunately too many people don’t go to those news sites and use social media as their main news source. Usually the types of PC left wing propaganda type of news appear on their. Probably for the best if it forces people to venture outside the world of social media.

I can't stand how many pundits are framing the FB dummy spit as "the website is gone" especially when referring to QLD health and BOM. Are people THAT dumb that they can't go to a relevant page on the ACTUAL official website ? If so, these people need education.

Playing it that way seems to reinforce the idea that FB is vital for important information. This is a golden opportunity to show that idea as wrong.

/rant

I can't stand how many pundits are framing the FB dummy spit as "the website is gone" especially when referring to QLD health and BOM. Are people THAT dumb that they can't go to a relevant page on the ACTUAL official website ? If so, these people need education.

Playing it that way seems to reinforce the idea that FB is vital for important information. This is a golden opportunity to show that idea as wrong.

/rant
Going to a website requires effort... Something knuckle draggers that only get their news from FB can't be bothered with.

Reactions: kxk
Wrong. Facebook themselves admit that right-wing populism has much higher engagement as it speaks to "an incredibly strong, primitive emotion".

Hardly anything at all in that article about the Australian media. So your point on the issue is mute. Australian media sources on Facebook are predominantly left wing and that is a fact.

Hardly anything at all in that article about the Australian media. So your point on the issue is mute. Australian media sources on Facebook are predominantly left wing and that is a fact.
No it's your opinion you're claiming is fact.

I think where it becomes nonsensical - and what a lot of people weren’t expecting - is that rather than blocking individual articles and links from being posted, they’ve gone with a hard ban that has affected far more than just a few news sites.

It’s completely wiped out many unrelated, independent and relatively niche pages. I barely use Facebook nowadays but I do follow a lot of theatre and entertainment pages as an up-to-date source of information from the industry, as it’s my line of work - I can no longer access any of these in a single feed. One would think articles about what production is about to close on Broadway, what movie a celebrity is starring in, or an interview with a local artist, isn’t exactly a risk for spreading misinformation...

Both local and international sporting clubs, weather, charities, official health and government pages have all fallen victim and blacklisted too. Even our very own Behind Big Brother is banned.

I can understand the intent but there’s a point where censorship has gone too far. This is dancing on a dangerous line. Sure, most (not all!) of the content is still available on the individual website, but in today’s day and age most brands do rely on posts and videos being uploaded to a platform like Facebook to not only drive clicks to their website but simply for any engagement at all - and thus, revenue. When entire pages, blogs and things as minor as prank videos and interviews, are suddenly deleted overnight, you just have to wonder...

It’s actually a little bit scary.

Back