Skip to main content

How will The Block affect Big Brother?

I think we can rule out any new content airing on GO. They tried it once, it didn't work and it never happened again. MAYBE a late night show once or twice a week but I can't see it.
It's definitely looking like a later time slot at the start of the season, and then back to 7:30 when the block finishes.
And by once you literally mean once.

I guess Fridays are out again due to footy. GO! is highly unlikely, and it seems that while here in the UK decent TV begins at 9pm that the Aussie networks seem to pack up shop by then. As an outsider it seems a few years ago the 8.30pm and 9.30pm slots were generally filled, but now it looks like the networks have just expanded the sort of shows which use to run 7-7.30pm to air from 7.30-9pm and then they practically give up for the night. Now that would be an opportunity for Big Brother to offer something later as I'm sure you're not all off to bed at 9pm, but I just can't see it happening.

Could this actually be good news for BB though - if it really is struggling to get a place in the schedules it could be it's last year on Nine, opening the door for it to return to Ten (if they can afford it!) where it wouldn't really have any competition for a slot in the schedule.

@Brekkie, Australian TV is hamstrung by silly programme classification times that begin on the half hour. e.g. M or MA-rated shows can't start until 8.30pm. If this got brought back to 8pm then it would actually make evening programming a whole lot easier.

I don't think that The BLOCK will effect Big Brother. Even the initial casting process ends on the 13th of July so they haven't even started filming yet. Filming has been confirmed for 10-12 weeks at the end of the year and due to this being off-peek viewing times then Channel 9 will almost definetly launch The BLOCK in 2015 as it gets more national views than Big Brother.

Source: https://theblock2015.castasugar.com

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-04 at 2.07.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-04 at 2.07.30 PM.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 27
I don't think that The BLOCK will effect Big Brother. Even the initial casting process ends on the 13th of July so they haven't even started filming yet. Filming has been confirmed for 10-12 weeks at the end of the year and due to this being off-peek viewing times then Channel 9 will almost definetly launch The BLOCK in 2015 as it gets more national views than Big Brother.

They are talking about the block Glasshouse which is set to air this month I believe

if it closes in September then that means big brother will be on before it. i bet there is something up with the promos and it has something to do with something not quite right!!!!

if it closes in September then that means big brother will be on before it. i bet there is something up with the promos and it has something to do with something not quite right!!!!
No that's for next year's Block ie Jan/Feb. They've already finished filming Glasshouse and it's ready to go with the ads already being aired. I think they're just waiting for the Voice to finish. It'll definitely be on before BB.

I heard one of the Glasshouse contestants interviewed today on radio and said that the auction is in early to mid October. So its guaranteed that BB will run alongside the Block

It's sad for BB. To be relegated to the afterthought after The Block for however long not only says they have some dipshits at 9 but no one cares about the show. Very few are going to watch 2+ hours of reality each night and The Block will always trump whatever tripe BB serves up. That's why I'm still holding out hope for a shorter season as someone said. Running alongside The Block is idiocy.

Following the block directly is not such a bad thing as it will introduce BB to people on channel nine that would have never turned the show on before.

Back