Skip to main content

How will The Block affect Big Brother?

The Block starts in August. I read an article this morning about them purchasing an old hotel for the next season after Glasshouse which airs in August but I can't find the article now, just the daily mail saying they didn't purchase the old hotel. Whatevs. I hate The Block now. I was a hard core fan and then they put those bloody twins on it. I suffered through it and then they put them on again and I watched bits and pieces and then they put them on a fucking third time and I didn't watch a single episode. The twins can just fuck off. As can Scotty Cam.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Nah. The usual season. And then the All Stars and then the Fans vs Favs. The fans got royally ripped off that season, like we wanted to see their ugly smug mugs again.

Nah the twins weren't on All Stars. They thought Fans vs Faves was going to be another All Stars when they agreed to it as that's what the producers tricked them with but of course it wasn't. They were only on two series of The Block

I loved the block sky high. I loved how some clashed and some got along. I even preferred that the renovating took a back seat to the drama. It was like a kind of BB-style show.

Whether you like the twins or not, they certainly bring some personality.

I loved the block sky high. I loved how some clashed and some got along. I even preferred that the renovating took a back seat to the drama. It was like a kind of BB-style show.

Whether you like the twins or not, they certainly bring some personality.
That was a bloody good show. Seriously one of the best series, maybe the best of the whole franchise for me. The whole are Madi and Jarrod still together thing, Trixie and Bec and Maddie vs the twins, the twins coming through and helping Bec after her mum passed and suddenly those FB fans were shocked into silence, Johnno obviously over-indulging in the beer and vino a few too many nights. I loved it all. And of course as a massive twin fan I was ecstatic when their supposedly shitty first floor apartment won.

fwiw news.com.au had an article up this week that Trixie and Johnno's Sky High place is back up for rent for $1500/wk if you have a few spare nickels laying around!

Reactions: Jam
Some observations... and the innerworkings of my brain from a man who works in TV....

The block episodes generally run for a minimum of 90 minutes (7:30-9pm) I can tell you now that the main bulk of BB will NOT be at 9pm. I see the following options.
Nine may put ACA on "Hiatus" for 3 months for BB to go to air at 7pm to compete directly against Home and Away. (30 min daily shows) and two 90 min shows a week around The Block. (Evictions and Noms)
OR
Nine News "hour" doesn't really set the ratings world on fire, there is a slim possibility that they will trim news back to 6:30 put BB in there or bring ACA back to 6:30 and BB at 7pm. (still 30 mins followed by The Block)

Other only way I can see it works aside from those two options above is if BB is split over Nine and Go! and Daily shows are on Go! and the "big" shows on Nine. (Evictions etc) with re-runs of the daily shows at 9pm on Nine.

Although....
Alex did say a while back that Nine like the idea of the "movie" length episodes for 2014 (meaning 2 hour eps). Maybe this is to make up for the show only being on a few days a week? House Rules is was initially 4 nights a week from what I remember. (Sun, Mon, Tues and Wed) and the Glasshouse season seems to be taking inspiration from HouseRules (with teams judging each other). This would then leave Thursday, Friday and Saturday for BB and then any extras on Go! I guess.
We are now at the point in Australia where people are embracing the "multi-channels". Go! can get up to 500k with certain content on. If people know what's on there they will follow, what's to say Nine aren't testing the water to see if they can draw bigger crowds to it?

Anyway that's just the thoughts and ideas of the scheduling in my brain. It has to be one of those options above for the show to fit into the ratings season with its usual 3 month length. All I can hope is that they don't make it a short season :/

The next series of the Block to air in August is currently filming here in Prahran :)

425747-d51b678e-8955-11e3-92e1-07d47f226b83.jpg

121-127 High St, Prahran.

Cowie, I think this is the hotel that Ch 9 just purchased

263890-dcf22a26-faa5-11e3-a06e-793f22b94a46.jpg

Here is a media article with more details http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...y-vampire-gigolo/story-fnn7ma1h-1226964263970[DOUBLEPOST=1403617105][/DOUBLEPOST]The next series of the Block to air in August is currently filming here in Prahran :)

425747-d51b678e-8955-11e3-92e1-07d47f226b83.jpg

121-127 High St, Prahran.

Cowie, I think this is the hotel that Ch 9 just purchased

263890-dcf22a26-faa5-11e3-a06e-793f22b94a46.jpg

Here is a media article with more details http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...y-vampire-gigolo/story-fnn7ma1h-1226964263970

Well, if the FTA channels DON'T start playing content that RATES WELL on their other digital channels (GO!, GEM, 7Mate, 7Two), then advertisers won't spend the bucks on those channels which makes having those channels a bit of an under-performing asset. What's the point in paying for content for those channels if they're not going to get the revenue out of them?

Perhaps Nine WILL take a leap of faith and try out one of the reality shows EXCLUSIVELY on GO! Swapping it from GO! to NINE makes no sense, but as time progresses, it shouldn't really matter at all if it's split across them.

I think the big thing with the multi channels is if they keep the air times consistent instead of bouncing around time slots or even between FTA and MC. Survivor and now Britain's Got Talent have aired solely on the offshoots and because they're never played around with their time slots people have been able to follow them religiously. BB isn't a ratings killer for 9 as it is...not sure if it's even a factor compared to reruns of Big Bang... so I'd rather it be on Go and we see more adult content than chopping and changing on 9.

@Brekkie and I discussed this in the international forums... It might actually be beneficial for BB to move to a later slot... The Block seems to do a better job dominating the 7:30 time-slot than BB does and the format in general leads itself to a more mature audience to begin with... Less competition might actually lead not only to a better storyline but better ratings...
Yeah so they have to be going for a more adult version of the show this year? They cant make it family friendly at 8.30-9.00pm. Maybe they realized the uncut stuff rated better and the whole Tully bisexual relationship was the most interesting part of the show?

I think we can rule out any new content airing on GO. They tried it once, it didn't work and it never happened again. MAYBE a late night show once or twice a week but I can't see it.
It's definitely looking like a later time slot at the start of the season, and then back to 7:30 when the block finishes.

Eh, I predict that they will have BB running after the voice Kids, don't get me wrong but I can see it going on after the voice Kids, like maybe the Voice Kids Finale on whatever time, and then Bb launch afterwards, or Voice Kids Finale then BB the weekend after. OR The Voice Kids Finale on Sunday and BB on Monday (I doubt bb will ever start on a monday, or I could be saying that but it's probably happened lol) OR (last one) The Voice Kids Finale on Saturday, then a movie and BB on Sunday then one of 9's footy shows or whatever. I have no clue how this TV thing goes, but yeah it's just a guess. I see it coming after the Voice Kids, not through it.

Some observations... and the innerworkings of my brain from a man who works in TV....

The block episodes generally run for a minimum of 90 minutes (7:30-9pm) I can tell you now that the main bulk of BB will NOT be at 9pm. I see the following options.
Nine may put ACA on "Hiatus" for 3 months for BB to go to air at 7pm to compete directly against Home and Away. (30 min daily shows) and two 90 min shows a week around The Block. (Evictions and Noms)
OR
Nine News "hour" doesn't really set the ratings world on fire, there is a slim possibility that they will trim news back to 6:30 put BB in there or bring ACA back to 6:30 and BB at 7pm. (still 30 mins followed by The Block)

Other only way I can see it works aside from those two options above is if BB is split over Nine and Go! and Daily shows are on Go! and the "big" shows on Nine. (Evictions etc) with re-runs of the daily shows at 9pm on Nine.

Although....
Alex did say a while back that Nine like the idea of the "movie" length episodes for 2014 (meaning 2 hour eps). Maybe this is to make up for the show only being on a few days a week? House Rules is was initially 4 nights a week from what I remember. (Sun, Mon, Tues and Wed) and the Glasshouse season seems to be taking inspiration from HouseRules (with teams judging each other). This would then leave Thursday, Friday and Saturday for BB and then any extras on Go! I guess.
We are now at the point in Australia where people are embracing the "multi-channels". Go! can get up to 500k with certain content on. If people know what's on there they will follow, what's to say Nine aren't testing the water to see if they can draw bigger crowds to it?

Anyway that's just the thoughts and ideas of the scheduling in my brain. It has to be one of those options above for the show to fit into the ratings season with its usual 3 month length. All I can hope is that they don't make it a short season :/
What do you do, in 'TV?'

i seem to recall that hes a sound engineer of some sorts?

The Block starts in August. I read an article this morning about them purchasing an old hotel for the next season after Glasshouse which airs in August but I can't find the article now, just the daily mail saying they didn't purchase the old hotel. Whatevs. I hate The Block now. I was a hard core fan and then they put those bloody twins on it. I suffered through it and then they put them on again and I watched bits and pieces and then they put them on a fucking third time and I didn't watch a single episode. The twins can just fuck off. As can Scotty Cam.
How do you like their new lite & easy ads?

Back