Skip to main content

Format and production thoughts

I posted this in the BBUK thread but I think it is just as relevant here - a quote from a great article in Esquire to mark 20 years of BBUK.

It's about Channel 5 but applies just as much to both Channel 9 and Channel 7 IMO.
Daniel Jones says that the show was more exciting when it was less editorialised: in the Channel 5 era, he says, viewers were spoonfed one storyline, as opposed to being allowed to pick up on housemates' small behaviours, glances, and comments. Channel 5 also did away with the live feed, sacrificing a defining element of the show. The channel interfered too much, says the anonymous director, making “very last-minute snap decisions” and saying things like “We're now not doing this eviction tomorrow, we're gonna put four people in instead.”

I think the spoonfeeding comment is spot on. We used to be presented a series of scenes from the day and then viewers would go away from the episode with their idea of what the main storyline to take away from it was, along with having the opportunity to see things slowly building over several episodes. Now producers try to force their idea of the key storylines on to viewers, and hence it is much less engaging to watch.

It's about Channel 5 but applies just as much to both Channel 9 and Channel 7 IMO.

I wonder how the current BBAU EP feels about the season she's created, given she worked on early BBUK and has also had COVID smash into everything.

Then again... she did do The Bachelorette Australia, so maybe she does like convoluted fake plots.

I posted this in the BBUK thread but I think it is just as relevant here - a quote from a great article in Esquire to mark 20 years of BBUK.

Thanks a great read. But of course. Yet again. The only thing painfully obvious is that Channel 7’s treatment of the series and the ideas behind it have once again proven how stupid the public can be treated by the networks, thankfully those days are over as people download and share content that circumvents the usual publishing channels that are broadcast licenses.

The finale is confirmed to be filmed live at 7's Eveleigh studios in Sydney. The voting for the winner will open at the end of Tuesday night's episode.

Juat give me drunk Angela going off on everyone there and I'll be happy, and a Dan, Sarah or Chad win would be nice too,

The finale is confirmed to be filmed live at 7's Eveleigh studios in Sydney. The voting for the winner will open at the end of Tuesday night's episode.(TV Tonight)
Well well well, so 7 have learnt a lesson from the AGT 'east coast only' voting fiasco after all. 7 can have a gold star ⭐ (and they should cherish it as I suspect they haven't earned many 🤣)
I wonder how they'll do the voting.
AGT was through 7plus ... and also apparently SMS according to News Limited (I thought it was only 7plus, but there you go... 🤔)

Don't know where to place these but here seems best (for now).

Unseen grabs from promos & pre-season teasers:
sophie-dance-dr-jpeg.55646
task-punish-sophie-love-jpeg.55649

So, the dance was posted as a "Deleted Scene" on 7Plus (all of the final 3 eventually join in for a dance in the tricked out Diary Room lighting)

And the 'writing lines' never showed up, but I expect it was a punishment for scrawling on the White Room walls.

I think this format would be more engaging if they just slowed it the fuck down. Shorter episodes (60 mins) with only one challenge per ep. Sometimes that might be a shopping challenge (or other one-off task), and every other ep a nomination challenge with eviction. And air four eps a week. This would give us a bit more housemate interaction in the non eviction eps, without being so slow as to send everyone off to sleep.

I think this format would be more engaging if they just slowed it the fuck down. Shorter episodes (60 mins) with only one challenge per ep. Sometimes that might be a shopping challenge (or other one-off task), and every other ep a nomination challenge with eviction. And air four eps a week. This would give us a bit more housemate interaction in the non eviction eps, without being so slow as to send everyone off to sleep.
The problem there is that shortening the episodes AND switching to 4 nights doesn't change the amount of viewing minutes by any large number. So you'll still probably see the same stuff at the same pace.

Honestly, I fear they will no longer want a 100 day series, since they've proven they can "get in in the can" at an accellerated pace from midway through the current season.

But, I guess there is a possibility to film for 30 days but broadcast for 90 to 100.

Agreed... That said this format would be much more engaging if it was actually engaging. For me at least having everything pre-determined is a missed opportunity.

BB became the phenomenon it did because it was not only entertaining but due to the unprecedented level of viewer engagement it allowed for.

While it did have it’s pitfalls there’s no doubt that things like the live feed and public voting are what set BB apart from other programs.

The problem there is that shortening the episodes AND switching to 4 nights doesn't change the amount of viewing minutes by any large number
Consider though, that for the non-eviction eps, there is no airtime wasted on scrambling, Sonia's pointless probing and scenes of HMs walking to/from the DR. So while the eviction eps will still be tight, the non-eviction eps would have more space to breathe and let us into their world more.

sophie-dance-dr-jpeg.55646

So, the dance was posted as a "Deleted Scene" on 7Plus (all of the final 3 eventually join in for a dance in the tricked out Diary Room lighting)
Where is this? I have looked a few times and can't find any clip on 7Plus that relates to the dance party. The last Deleted Scene clip that shows for me is the "Mementos" one.

Did anyone make notes on how the schedule evolved post COVID?

With COVID, the season had 39 days, what was the original duration or did they really cut short?

Before COVID, it was a housemate getting evicted roughly every 2 days.

Eviction cycle kept going at roughly every 2 days post COVID and there was no difference, and didn't work on a daily eviction like some suspected.

Based on Wikipedia, Danii was evicted on day 11, and then next Ian was evicted on day 16, why was there such a long break there ?

Back