Skip to main content

Format and production thoughts

So back on the format front, what has annoyed me is Big Brother's familiarity and friendly banter with the housemates.

In the old show, HMs were never allowed to chat to BB except in the DR. And they got in trouble just for calling him 'mate'. The new BB is like their best friend. BB is meant to be the evil overlord, controlling them and calling the shots, not having a laugh with them.

Also I miss the piss ups and drunken late night conversations and shenanigans.

So back on the format front, what has annoyed me is Big Brother's familiarity and friendly banter with the housemates.

In the old show, HMs were never allowed to chat to BB except in the DR. And they got in trouble just for calling him 'mate'. The new BB is like their best friend. BB is meant to be the evil overlord, controlling them and calling the shots, not having a laugh with them.

Also I miss the piss ups and drunken late night conversations and shenanigans.

I agree... I haven’t been following for a few weeks now but I’ve gone off the voice after my initial praise. It’s now just another one of the series lost potential items.

I actually enjoy the light hearted BB, and I think the new voice is a great reflection of that. He's more a part of the house than some omnipotent man in a control room, but they could definitely lean into that a little more. Maybe make him (and the house) turn against them slowly, Hal style, at some point.

We do need more about-the-house stuff. I like micro challenges that engineer fun viewing, but I need to get to know who I'm watching.

Nomination challenges are WAY too focused on physical stamina, and that whole segment is way too drawn out for drama.

The eviction component needs to be tighter, and I think Sonia's role is redundant. Let's make it more ceremonial, and also have them vote face-to-face.

I also want to feel like there's more at stake. $250k is nice and all, but let's make them earn it. Maybe pull in Time Bomb/Cash Bomb elements throughout the series (from BBUK16).

I actually enjoy the light hearted BB, and I think the new voice is a great reflection of that. He's more a part of the house than some omnipotent man in a control room, but they could definitely lean into that a little more. Maybe make him (and the house) turn against them slowly, Hal style, at some point.

We do need more about-the-house stuff. I like micro challenges that engineer fun viewing, but I need to get to know who I'm watching.

Nomination challenges are WAY too focused on physical stamina, and that whole segment is way too drawn out for drama.

The eviction component needs to be tighter, and I think Sonia's role is redundant. Let's make it more ceremonial, and also have them vote face-to-face.

I also want to feel like there's more at stake. $250k is nice and all, but let's make them earn it. Maybe pull in Time Bomb/Cash Bomb elements throughout the series (from BBUK16).

The only thing I agree with you on is the challenges... We need more variety and an element of fun. That said “micro challenges” or secrecy missions need to be limited to a handful. They also need to be chosen at random draw not predetermined by BB. Also make them worth winning and connected to the game rather than a one off meal or prize. As for prize fund twists they can also be left behind. Why not add temptations throughout the series or incentives in challenges? I also think we can do without theme integration like BBUK or US... At least for now. We need production to focus on producing a compelling show before they worry about adding frills.

That said “micro challenges” or secrecy missions need to be limited to a handful. They also need to be chosen at random draw not predetermined by BB. Also make them worth winning and connected to the game rather than a one off meal or prize. As for prize fund twists they can also be left behind. Why not add temptations throughout the series or incentives in challenges?
Yeah, one of the issues with winning the noms challenge is that (especially in the earlier eps) it can be a double edge sword, because if you show off that you're a physical threat you'll quickly be shown the door, so they need to mix them up with puzzles etc. For the non-noms challenges, I wouldn't mind if they put up decent prizes. A decent smart phone or tablet here, a big LED TV there, travel vouchers, all standard prizes if they can get the sponsors on board. That kind of thing. Nobody expects a car any more, but KFC really doesn't cut it. And also, wasn't Chad complaining the gym equipment was lacking any cardio gear? A secret task for him could have won them an exercise bike or rowing machine for the house.

5 day week, eviction on mon and thurs, perhaps some fucking stream feeds from the house.

Still didn't really know the HMs when all was said and done, aside from Angela.

Reintroduce alcohol!

BB should be oppressive, not sound like some cunt down the pub who's about to butter you up for a durry.

I think getting rid of Amelia as ep next year would be a good move. We need someone with originality, yet someone who also understands and is passionate about the bb format and the base of it.

As long as it's not Alex. But I dont think they will get rid of her as the ratings were quite steady this year. It seems 7 only changes things up on their shows when ratings start going down hill.

OK, ignore the tweet - it's the clip which is relevant here.

This is how Big Brother should be - the host introducing the live show and just like the viewers, the host, producers and housemates have no idea how the next hour will pan out either.

(This clip refers to an eviction show - usually it's obvious which way the vote will go but a couple of times last season things changed last minute, and in this case there was a big blow up about half an hour before the live show which really did mean nobody knew how the eviction would play out.)

BTW, did anyone else notice they stopped using the classical music in the last two weeks of the show? I wonder if that was a response to feedback.

Totally random and slightly off-topic, but does anybody know the best way to edit a Wikipedia article and how the subsequent approval process works on any changes made?

The episode count on the BBAU pages are way off and it’s kinda bothering me. lol!

Totally random and slightly off-topic, but does anybody know the best way to edit a Wikipedia article and how the subsequent approval process works on any changes made?

The episode count on the BBAU pages are way off and it’s kinda bothering me. lol!
Just create an account and go in there and fix it. You may have to put references in when adjusting / adding text. If there is nothing wrong with your information then it will likely stay.

Just create an account and go in there and fix it. You may have to put references in when adjusting / adding text. If there is nothing wrong with your information then it will likely stay.
Thanks - it’s just the episode numbers in the Series Overview. I’m not sure where the info came from but I know a few of them aren’t accurate. I’ll have a look tonight!

Back