Skip to main content

EUROVISION 2017

Eurovision Song Contest 2017: guide
May 9th, 2017 By David Knox Make a commentFiled under: Eurovision, Programming, Top Stories,

Eurovision 2017 officially kicks off 5am AEST Wednesday May 10 live from Kyiv, Ukraine on SBS.

Isaiah Firebrace performs Don’t Come Easy third in the first semi-final, so it will be early!

Joel Creasey and Myf Warhurst commentate broadcasts for SBS, and front a special on Wednesday night.

TV Tonight will be publishing Live results on Wednesday and Sunday. If you wish to avoid spoilers for primetime replays, please adjust your use of the site accordingly!

Eurovision Top 40 Songs
Wednesday 10 May, 8.30pm on SBS
It’s the world’s ultimate, crazy song competition and Australia has been watching for over 30 years. There are so many highlights in the contest’s history, now it’s time to decide our top 40 favourite songs. Myf Warhurst and Joel Creasey present the Top 40 songs from Eurovision’s 60 year history as voted by Australia’s Eurovision fans via the SBS Eurovision website. What will #1 be?

The countdown features interviews from six past Eurovision winners including Mans Zelmerlow (2015) and Loreen (2012) from Sweden, Conchita Wurst (2014), Katrina and The Waves (1997), Bucks Fizz (1981), and Brotherhood of Man (1976).

Funny and pithy moments in Eurovision Top 40 Songs come from Irish comedian Jason Byrne, UK comic Stuart Goldsmith, Australian funnyman Dave O’Neil, songwriter Casey Bennetto, music theatre star Lucy Durack, Please Like Me writer Becky Lucas, Here Come The Habibs star Tahir, comic Tessa Waters, Eurovision Professor Alison Lewis, and Australia’s own esteemed Eurovision former judge Richard Wilkins. With performances by Dami Im, Paul Capsis and Bjorn Again.

SEMI FINAL ONE
Live: 5am Wednesday 10 May (Australia votes)

Primetime: 7.30pm Friday 12 May rpt

01 Sweden Robin Bengtsson I Can’t Go On
02 Georgia Tamara Gachechiladze Keep The Faith
03 Australia Isaiah Don’t Come Easy
04 Albania Lindita World
05 Belgium Blanche City Lights
06 Montenegro Slavko Kalezić Space
07 Finland Norma John Blackbird
08 Azerbaijan Dihaj Skeletons
09 Portugal Salvador Sobral Amar Pelos Dois
10 Greece Demy This is Love
11 Poland Kasia Moś Flashlight
12 Moldova Sunstroke Project Hey Mamma
13 Iceland Svala Paper
14 Czech Republic Martina Bárta My Turn
15 Cyprus Hovig Gravity
16 Armenia Artsvik Fly With Me
17 Slovenia Omar Naber On My Way
18 Latvia Triana Park Line

SEMI FINAL TWO
Live: 5am Friday 12 May
Primetime: 7:30pm Saturday 13 May rpt

01 Serbia Tijana Bogićević In Too Deep
02 Austria Nathan Trent Running On Air
03 F.Y.R. Macedonia Jana Burčeska Dance Alone
04 Malta Claudia Faniello Breathlessly
05 Romania Ilinca ft. Alex Florea Yodel It!
06 The Netherlands OG3NE Lights and Shadows
07 Hungary Joci Pápai Origo
08 Denmark Anja Where I Am
09 Ireland Brendan Murray Dying to Try
10 San Marino Valentina Monetta and Jimmie Wilson Spirit of the Night
11 Croatia Jacques Houdek My Friend
12 Norway JOWST Grab The Moment
13 Switzerland Timebelle Apollo
14 Belarus Naviband Story of My Life
15 Bulgaria Kristian Kostov Beautiful Mess
16 Lithuania Fusedmarc Rain Of Revolution
17 Estonia Koit Toome & Laura Verona
18 Israel IMRI I Feel Alive

FINAL
Live: 5am Sunday 14 May (Australia votes)
Primetime: 7:30pm Sunday 14 May rpt

22 Ukraine O.Torvald Time
00 Italy Francesco Gabbani Occidentali’s Karma
00 United Kingdom Lucie Jones Never Give Up On You
00 Spain Manel Navarro Do It For Your Lover
00 Germany Levina Perfect Life
00 France Alma Requiem

Voting

Australia gets to vote Live at the end of Semi Final One and Final via the official app, telephone and/or SMS. But you can’t vote for Australia. We vote in the Final on Sunday morning regardless of whether we qualify.

The voting window for Semi Final 1 and the Grand Final opens after the last song has been performed, and ends 15 minutes later.

Australian Jury
Lucy Durack
Lucy is one of Australia’s leading ladies of the stage, with a list of major roles to her credit. She has won awards for her roles of Glinda in Wicked and Elle Woods in Legally Blonde the Musical. She performs regularly in concert and has a popular radio show ‘My Soundtrack’ on the ABC.

Jordan Raskopoulos
Jordan is a comedian, musician and digital content creator. She is best known as the lead singer of The Axis of Awesome, a world-renowned musical comedy group and YouTube Juggernaut. Jordan also hosts ‘This is About’, a narrative non-fiction podcast on ABC.

Stephen Capaldo
Steven is a conductor and music educator working with symphony orchestras, wind orchestras, chamber ensembles and in community music and education. He is an active composer and arranger. His works have been performed and recorded in Australia, Canada and the U.S.A.

Jackie Loeb
Jackie maintains her reputation as a stand-up comedian, while distinguishing herself as an actor, musician and writer. She has performed cabaret shows at New York City’s ‘Don’t Tell Mama’ and had a sell-out season at the Adelaide Cabaret Festival. She has released two albums, and brings her latest stand-up show Forty-five to the Sydney Comedy Festival this week.

Peter Hayward
Peter has been working professionally in the entertainment industry for over 15 years. He has performed as a Music Director across Sydney and as a backing vocalist and percussionist for numerous live events. Peter is Creative Director of Southern Stars – The Arena Spectacular and Associate Director of the Schools Spectacular.

Australian Spokesperson:
Lee Lin Chin

#SBSEurovision

3 days of fun starts tonight.......

Go here for everything EUROVISION
http://www.sbs.com.au/programs/eurovision

Eurovision has always been good at being ahead of the times and subversive. This is probably because it isn't constrained by mainstream tastes and American-centric ideas of fashion. Contestants are free to do whatever they want.
Only at Eurovision could you see a band such as Buranovskiye Babushki - the six elderly women who represented Russia in 2012 - come second. Or, on the other end of the spectrum, Finnish metal band Lordi, clad in latex monster masks and costumes, winning the contest in 2006.

Ageism and ideas of fashion don’t seem to apply in the Eurovision universe. It doesn’t matter about the genre as long as the song (or at the very least the spectacle) can win over the judges and the voting public.

Perhaps most famously, Eurovision has also celebrated gender diversity, with bearded drag queen Conchita Wurst winning the competition in 2014. The win created headlines around the world and Wurst became a gay icon.

Woohoo it is starting - anyone else joining the biggest camp party in the world???

First up is Sweden....Sweden if you don't know produces more pop songs than any other country in the world
They have school programs for music they way we do sport

Nice, hot slick guy and catchy

Aussie up next if anyone is watching:)

Georgia did a tired old ballad, sucked[DOUBLEPOST=1494582495][/DOUBLEPOST]Aussie up next if anyone is watching:)

Georgia did a tired old ballad, sucked

Oops
He isn't a patch on our previous singers, few bum notes, but they love him he is pretty
Dami really was exceptional

OMG Albania has sent out a cheesy bride, she looks a bit like Clara from Doctor Who
Not good

936963139834_05100905_image090245_carouselsmall.jpg Montenegro weird begins, sings like shit but looks campy and like a Disney villian

Moldova is number 12 - the Melbourne Cup entry
Strange outfits - OMG they just turned into wedding dresses

Yeah Iceland is next

crfi15zk.jpeg

Iceland - miss
Doing that weird thing, singing English words that are nonsense....song about paper, yeah

LOL MAP OF PARTICIPATING COUNTRIES .............................LOOK AT US SUPERIMPOSED ONTO EUROPE
350px-Eurovision_participation_map.svg.png

ITALY
ad_234659512-e1486914099483.jpg

Armenia is no. 12 she sounds great, no bum notes or shouting, quite like this
I always like the more exotic, oooo she is really GOOD

Slovenia 13
sucks

More of this crazy dude
eurovision-2017-guide-702x336.jpg

Tomorrow night -
eurovision-2017-semi-final-2-artists.jpg

And gorgeous Jamalala last year's winner performs 3 songs, fabulous singer
OH WOO
She is so good, Doctor Who monsters all lined up behind her

The Dutch one is a good older styled song, well performed. The Portugese song is more about the sweet vocal. The Italian one has a zany catchiness. Azerbaijan has an interesting combination of arty staging and strong dance melody. The Belarus one has a simple energy to it. Those are some highlights.

Reactions: kxk
The WHITEST Euro ever.....white outfit after white shitty outfit
Serbia sucks; Austria has a pass, just, he is talented

Back