Skip to main content

Doctor Who

If i really wanted spoilers it would be easy to find them on the 'net but I don't want to do that as I've always enjoyed DW. It only started 5 years after I was born. Yes, I'm not a recent convert and I think Tom Baker was my favourite from the 'Old' series.

I'm really enjoying the new series, I just wish Christopher Eccleston had done another. Not that I have anything against David Tennant, I think he's doing DW justice in a big way. I just enjoyed CE's role. It's too bad that he felt that he would be typecast into that kind of role (well, that's what I read anyway)

(1+1/2 hrs to go and i'll hopefully be watching episode 5)

I am almost as old as Dr Who :) I lurved Chris E the first sexy Dr Who imo lol But oddly Tom Baker was quite sexy too, must have been that hair and scarf lol Did you know those curls weren't his, he had a perm, he had slightly curly hair but they permed it too funny :p lol Peter Davison was another fave, sadly i gave up on the show after him, i just couldn't take to the new Dr's I tried but to no avail, it just lost something, i found it way to comical but not funny...I remember waiting for the new DW wondering if they would butcher it, make it stupid or something bad like that but i was pleasantly surprised...from the those famous words "I'm the Doctor....now run for your life" I thought wow here we go again....I love a fast past Dr Who...never stop running Doctor lol

Yes another year of him would have been great, but David T is a good Dr also, I didn't like Rose (Billy) in the beginning but I cried at her final ep....Hmm Ep 5 which one was that........looking it up......Ah Daleks in Manhatten...will be interested in what you think of this ep...not a fave but a good ep... let me know :)

So as a "old schooler" (I was about five when I first started watching it, which was two and a half decades ago) fnarkl, and with Tom Baker being your favourite (not suprising. :p ), would you be willing to admit that Eccelston or Tennant are better?

Must be about a year ago, i'm sure it's in this thread somewhere, where I poured my heart out about the life changing event when I finally admitted that to me, Tennant had finally surpassed Tom Baker. And yes, it was a bit of a life changing event for me because for pretty much as long as I could remember, Tom Baker was "the one". And when you've had a belief pretty much all your life it's hard to change.

I dread the day though that I have to change my opinion about Colin Baker. :p

Oh no i would never admit that to myself or anyone else Tom Baker is the Doctor imo....i love Chris E & David T but it will always be Tom Baker for me, he was the first Dr i saw, I don't recall it being on TV when i was younger, I am 41 I was born the last year of William H, i never watched it as a small child, cannot quite remember how i discovered Dr Who, i wish i could... But Tom B will always be my Dr.

Classic Tom Baker googly eyes and that scarf who didn't want that scarf?? lol

Attachments

• tom baker.jpg
    tom baker.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:
So as a "old schooler" (I was about five when I first started watching it, which was two and a half decades ago) fnarkl, and with Tom Baker being your favourite (not suprising. :p ), would you be willing to admit that Eccelston or Tennant are better?

Must be about a year ago, i'm sure it's in this thread somewhere, where I poured my heart out about the life changing event when I finally admitted that to me, Tennant had finally surpassed Tom Baker. And yes, it was a bit of a life changing event for me because for pretty much as long as I could remember, Tom Baker was "the one". And when you've had a belief pretty much all your life it's hard to change.

I dread the day though that I have to change my opinion about Colin Baker. :p

Scary but true Burn.

I have the feeling that the new doctors are more 'appealing' to the masses (which includes me). I loved Tom Baker and I wish he'd come back in a cameo appearance (that would be really trippy).

To get to your actual question, I will quite happily admit that I am loving the 'new' DW both with Christopher Eccelston and David Tennant. It's just so refreshing to see a series that has been around for so long (a Guiness Book of Records) with new people playing the same character.

I was watching DW back in the Black & White days (damn, i'm old) and hung on every episode. I still love some of the old ones, hell, I still remember when Adric hooked up with him (that was in colour of course).

And don't get me started on what I thought of Leela............

Well I didn't like David Tennant in tonight's episode. It was the script / directing. He is too smug.

And reappearing right at the end, leaning against the TARDIS with this look on his face like "I know you find me irresistable, so what are you waiting for, step on in". That is just so unlike the Doctor of old.

Inside the TARDIS he arrogantly assumes Martha will join him.

Yes I like the new production values but this is just going too far.

I'm now starting to lean towards Christopher Eccleston as the better of the two but it is the screen writers to blame.

(And this is NOT because I am cut about the Doctor's dismissive memory of Rose at the end of the episode, as though she never mattered to him)

--------------------

I just loved the musical score in tonight's (Saturday) episode.

Well I didn't like David Tennant in tonight's episode. It was the script / directing. He is too smug.

And reappearing right at the end, leaning against the TARDIS with this look on his face like "I know you find me irresistable, so what are you waiting for, step on in". That is just so unlike the Doctor of old.

Inside the TARDIS he arrogantly assumes Martha will join him.

Yes I like the new production values but this is just going too far.

Didn't Chris E do similar in the pilot episode "Rose" though on some fansites
they went a bit rabid and accused him of acting somewhat like a pedo luring
Rose into the TARDIS. Frankly the more adult nature of the new Doctors
is fantastic and I think it's a step in the right direction.

Maybe it's a leftover from his time on Earth when he kissed Grace in the
movie?

Well my Doctor was Jon Pertwee (and against the usual trend I pretty much hated Tom Baker's "gurning as acting" and have a soft spot for the much maligned Colin Baker.) I've really enjoyed both #9 & #10. Both have brought different interpretations to the role and both are a bit maniac, but that suits the pacing of "New Who."

Ah Jon Pertwee was another good Dr I loved all his gadgets....I had a crush on Adric lol cried when he died :( You know Sanchez thats how i found David T in beginning i thought he was arrogant, but i have warmed to him. I wonder how a skantly clad Leela type character would go over in todays world? Some how i don't see it working lol Although i am sure you boys would love it!!! :D

Well, why should Leela be clad at all? :D (Is there a gif smiley out there with the face drooling in a sick leering way?)

But in all seriousness (hem) Jon Pertwee is still my fave of the old Doctors and David Tennant shades Christopher Eccleston for the new Doctors. Tennant's gratuitous kiss with Martha jarred (it devalues his previous "relationship" with Rose) but I kinda like his manic behaviour and his refusal to be too serious, even in times of crisis.

I already like Martha. She's already half as good as Rose, which means she'll be an excellent companion. To continue with the theme: she's easy on the eyes. Hey, funninonebabe, you started all this! :)

Well, why should Leela be clad at all? :D (Is there a gif smiley out there with the face drooling in a sick leering way?)

But in all seriousness (hem) Jon Pertwee is still my fave of the old Doctors and David Tennant shades Christopher Eccleston for the new Doctors. Tennant's gratuitous kiss with Martha jarred (it devalues his previous "relationship" with Rose) but I kinda like his manic behaviour and his refusal to be too serious, even in times of crisis.

I already like Martha. She's already half as good as Rose, which means she'll be an excellent companion. To continue with the theme: she's easy on the eyes. Hey, funninonebabe, you started all this! :)

Um Leela was barely glad anyway lol and don't forget Nyssa's very short skirts and Peri in the bikini you boys have had a lot of drooling time on DW lol Well there weren't any sexy guys in Dr Who, but they made up for it with Capt Jack :D

Well I think Chris E was very good eye candy sexiest Dr yet :) lol Oh i don't think he has forgotten Rose, just buried her in his mind..

I haven't seen the last ep of Series 3 waiting for it to d/load, but i did a stupid thing i went into Wikipedia argh!!! big mistake i know how it all ends now :( I should know better...but i won't give anything away

I have the feeling that the new doctors are more 'appealing' to the masses (which includes me). I loved Tom Baker and I wish he'd come back in a cameo appearance (that would be really trippy).

Baker once gave an interview (I think it was late last year) where he made a comment about wanting to be cast as The Master. Would have certaintly been interesting.

It's just so refreshing to see a series that has been around for so long (a Guiness Book of Records) with new people playing the same character.

Did Guiness eventually end up validating that? I remember there was a big stink about the record for "longest run sci-fi series" being given to Stargate SG-1 with the argument being that Doctor Who "took a break". Of course they did seem to overlook the nearly 30 odd year run of the first series and they were going to look into it.

Baker once gave an interview (I think it was late last year) where he made a comment about wanting to be cast as The Master. Would have certaintly been interesting.

Did Guiness eventually end up validating that? I remember there was a big stink about the record for "longest run sci-fi series" being given to Stargate SG-1 with the argument being that Doctor Who "took a break". Of course they did seem to overlook the nearly 30 odd year run of the first series and they were going to look into it.

Not really sure about Guiness validating it. AFAIK, it has to be the longest.
You can't really validate wikipedia, anyone can write anything and people will believe it (look at the Chris Benoit saga for example, somebody wrote (as a rumour of course) that his wife had died and it turned out to be fact)

Anyway, i'm currently watching the 2nd half of Daleks in Manhattan. Stop disturbing me!! only joking.....

Not really sure about Guiness validating it. AFAIK, it has to be the longest.
You can't really validate wikipedia, anyone can write anything and people will believe it (look at the Chris Benoit saga for example, somebody wrote (as a rumour of course) that his wife had died and it turned out to be fact)

Anyway, i'm currently watching the 2nd half of Daleks in Manhattan. Stop disturbing me!! only joking.....

Jaysus don't hit back when you are in the middle of typing something grrr lost what i typed...

HOW can they say Stargate is the longest running??? Have they got shite for brains??? lol

fnarkl why are you so behind?? where you getting your eps from? (better not reply that here), do you have the remaining eps and just havent watched them?

Would be happy to pm you with the place i get them from....

How is the birthday going?

Yessssssssss final ep is available :D cannot wait to see this one

Jaysus don't hit back when you are in the middle of typing something grrr lost what i typed...

HOW can they say Stargate is the longest running??? Have they got shite for brains??? lol

fnarkl why are you so behind?? where you getting your eps from? (better not reply that here), do you have the remaining eps and just havent watched them?

Would be happy to pm you with the place i get them from....

How is the birthday going?

Yessssssssss final ep is available :D cannot wait to see this one

If you look further back, you can see where I (cryptically) get my episodes from.

I just haven't got around to watching them yet. Yes, I know...blasphemy. I don't have them d/l, i watch them streamed from a particular site. That's why i'm only up to the Dalek episodes.

Bourbon, i mean birthday is going fine. Just waiting for the rest of the family to turn up....then i'll just get even more pissed.

If you look further back, you can see where I (cryptically) get my episodes from.

I just haven't got around to watching them yet. Yes, I know...blasphemy. I don't have them d/l, i watch them streamed from a particular site. That's why i'm only up to the Dalek episodes.

Bourbon, i mean birthday is going fine. Just waiting for the rest of the family to turn up....then i'll just get even more pissed.

Oh ok hey can you pm me with where you get them from? i am not good at cryptic clues lol

glad the bourbon oops mean birthday is going well :) lol

Oh ok hey can you pm me with where you get them from? i am not good at cryptic clues lol

glad the bourbon oops mean birthday is going well :) lol

PM sent.

Oh, don't accidently close the site by accident either. I was in the middle of watching the 2nd half of Daleks in Manhattan and shut it down. Damn, now I have go through it again to get up to speed....

Because aside from Doctor Who, Stargate is the longest running sci-fi series. For some demented reason they simply ignored Doctor Who and when it was brought to their attention they gave some half-arsed excuse.

btw ... torrents are your friend. Don't have to worry about windows accidentally closing. ;)

Ah well I finished watching the season finale and just watched again with the commentary. Some bad & some good things to say but I'll wait till everyone's seen it. I'll just point out that Mrs Saxon is smokin in that red dress!

Ah well I finished watching the season finale and just watched again with the commentary. Some bad & some good things to say but I'll wait till everyone's seen it. I'll just point out that Mrs Saxon is smokin in that red dress!
Damn how did you get that so quick? mine won't move grrrr!!!!

Back