Skip to main content

Doctor Who

...haha!... yes it was fun wasn't it?... I'm so glad that the annoying 'Bajo' guy wasn't in it this time (can't remember his name)... I hope that he's gone for good... I think that Tegan would make a great companion on the Tardis... I wish that she would try for it Meglos lol!... cheers.

I liked the new music too, but I'm not a fan of Rove talking over the end credits, I look forward to watching it "clean" on DVD one day.

Ok, I’d better weigh in.

I thought JW did just fine as the Doctor. Certainly enough continuity of character to slide in easily as the new Doctor. It wasn’t a completely corny or over the top start thankfully. And I think there’s good potential there, sense of humour wise.

I guess the primary concern with this “reboot” was they were going to fuck it up. They didn’t do that, I actually expected to see a bigger change in the feel of the show.

Otherwise I thought it was an okay episode, not a bad episode, but not a wow episode. The villian seemed to be pretty much a hybrid of the Terminator and Predator. The kneeling stance when he came out of the sparking pod, seemed a direct nod to the Terminator’s arrival. The masked trophy taking alien hunter, but this time tasked to find a particular unsuspecting victim.

I hoped we might get less plot holes under the new management. But it hasn’t much changed. I think the biggest two for me were the Doctor falling through the train roof, but popping up completely unharmed with no explanation. Also when she instantaneously reprogrammed Ryan’s phone to track the alien signals.

Another thing on my mind was given we know who the companions are going to be, Gran was never gonna make it.

And I do hope we get the opening credits back next week.

And the Doctor removing the (excuse my lack of knowledge of what they were, I haven't read up on this episode yet) death spots from everyone without they or us knowing was very convenient, a return of the Tennant timey wimey magic I could live without.
Show us the Doctor being clever, but don't make it magic.

And the Doctor removing the (excuse my lack of knowledge of what they were, I haven't read up on this episode yet) death spots from everyone without they or us knowing was very convenient, a return of the Tennant timey wimey magic I could live without.
Show us the Doctor being clever, but don't make it magic.

Yeah, that whole thing was very clunky plot wise.

...I totally loved this episode but there were so many things that I found that didn't make sense... I won't say anything about it now but will post about it tomorrow perhaps if anyone is remotely interested in what my observations are... I'm too tired to list them all tonight lol!... yes... there are quite a few lol!... until then... cheers.

...in my post above I have said about just how much that I loved that episode and I'm saying now that I really do love this new Doctor and Jodie's interpretation of the role... to put it bluntly... she was fuggin' awesome!... the story itself was great but as oddjob said in his post...

I hoped we might get less plot holes under the new management. But it hasn’t much changed. I think the biggest two for me were the Doctor falling through the train roof, but popping up completely unharmed with no explanation..................

...yes that is one of my irrits about the episode too oddjob and not to mention a myriad of others as I'm about to go into more detail about...

(1)... Jodie falls from god knows how many thousands of feet and bursts through the metal roof of a Train and basically brushes herself off and gets on with business?... surely a fall from that height would have to cost her a new regeneration?... (yes I know that she is in mid regeneration but that would not stop the fall killing her regardless would it?)... it's all a tad bit arty farty for me anyway...

(2)... Ryan was doing his video blog and was saying things like "she was the greatest woman ever etc etc"... and from the pre-hype it was always revealed that there would be Ryan (Tosin Cole), Yasmin (Mandip Gill), and Graham (Bradley Walsh) only so it wasn't hard to deduce before the episode even got on it's way that Grace (Sharon D Clarke ) will die during it so not a very clever move there Chibnall old son... but Ryan starting the episode like that all but revealed what was inevitable (to me anyway)...

(3)... Ryan told Yasmin that the Alien craft was too cold to touch and too heavy to move so how did the two guys manage to move it to the garage?... as well as the weight of the craft there was the added weight of the Creature itself... no way could they have moved it in my opinion at least... also... how did they know the exact location of it?... I must have missed that part even though I've watched the episode 4 times now... I just haven't clicked as to how he knew where it was... was it something to do with a beacon on his sister or something similar?... I really didn't see the need for this side story to be in the episode at all to be honest but it's just me being me I guess?... lol!... perhaps they wanted the guy that owned the garage to die just so that they had a 'home base' to work out of for a while (and for Jodie to create her "Swiss Army Sonic Screwdriver made of the best Sheffield Steel" maybe?)... other than that... it's an irrelevant side plot as far as I'm concerned anyway...

(4)... when Jodie fell through the roof and the Robotic Droid was in and around the Train all of the electricals in the Train fused out... yet their mobile phones worked... surely the pulse that fused out the Train would've done the same to the phones?...

(5)... when the new companions realised that Jodie and the Creature were actually 'Aliens' they never seemed phased at all about it...

Jodie:... "I'm an Alien"...
Graham:... "Grace we're going!"...

...that was about it and they all just moved on... if I realised that someone was an Alien I would be in awe of them and ask 10 million questions at least... yes I know that previous people that found out that The Doctor was an Alien previously and have handled it well but at least they have shown some sort of amazement before now... again... maybe it's just me lol!...

(6)... getting back to Grace... let's face it... we always KNEW that she was going to die didn't we?... she was way way way too brave in doing what she did... she climbed a Crane tower without any sort of harness whatsoever and the fact that Graham allowed her to was just plain ridiculous in my humble opinion... no real husband would've allowed that so obviously she was going to die doing what she did... it was a totally reckless thing for her to do that... a normal 60 something woman wouldn't do it... perhaps not even being fit enough to even attempt it... so that was a plain silly plotline in my opinion...

(7)... Jodie's Crane leap... I found it to be quite funny really... to do the actual jump she took only about 9 steps backwards to do her run up for the jump... she then ran forward but did about 50 steps or so to do the actual leap lol!... she ran for ages!... it reminded me of the Rock's Crane jump in the movie 'Skyscraper'... it was totally impossible to do but Hollywood doesn't care about that lol!... take a look at Jodie's jump and then his jump lol!...

2jrzcb.gif

...um... I'm thinking that Chibnall wants to do better than Moffatt ever did?... but please make it believable mate... she would never had been able to do that task without a few more steps back old son... moving on...

(8)... as Cal said in 'Whovians'... why not learn to ride a bike on a flat road instead of a grassy bumpy uneven hill?... it doesn't make sense at all to me either... and... it's a tad bit weird and creepy that Graham keeps harping on about Ryan not calling him 'Grandpa' or whatever... you may talk to a 5 or 6 year old kid about why he doesn't want to but someone Ryan's supposed age?... why would it be so important for Ryan to call Graham that?... it's like they're talking and treating him as a 'special' child... he just has no sense of balance... he's not mentally deficient is he?...

(9)... "it's been a long time since I've bought women's clothes!" blurts out Jodie... so The Doctor HAS been a female before now?... I wonder where that sits in the Whovian Time line?...

(10)... so the Swiss Army Sonic Screwdriver can be made with all materials here on Earth eh?... can you please send me the BluePrints for it Jodie... I would love one lol!...

(11)... Jodie says to the Creature "if you're finished... let's be really clear...you're not taking any Human from Earth tonight... leave now or we're going to stop you!" she says with total conviction... "good luck!" says the Creature... erm... "good luck"?... what Alien Creature would have those words in their vocabulary?... a big boo boo there Chibs my friend... using Earth sayings for an Alien is quite unbelievable methinks!... again... is it just me being too picky?... lol!...

(12)... is this a new record for individual body counts in a new opening series... I think that Tegan in 'Whovians' counted 6 including Grace... that seems pretty intense for an opening episode for some I guess but it did give the new series some 'grit'... it reminded me of flashing's of 'Torchwood' type of intensity at times which is good in my humble opinion... and... talking about body counts... why was there no Police tape cordoning off where that guy died in the garage where they were all working at the end?... seems a bit weird to me...

...a final note:... I really did love this opening episode regardless of all of some nitpicky faults from me but I'm putting it down to 'opening night nerves' from Chibnall that's all... once he has finished taking 'baby steps' in the shadow of Moffatt then I think that he will do better than Moffatt in the end... now that Moffatts massive ego is not involved any longer then things can only ever improve... and... with Jodie as the new Doctor he will get a great run... I just know it...

...as I said in one of my posts earlier... I don't mind eating humble pie after all of my objections to a female Doctor because of the 10 year child in me that saw Doctor Who's two opening episodes way back in the 60's and seeing Susan Foreman's grandfather as our first Doctor could not forsee it working no matter which way I could look at it... I'm so glad that Chibnall well and truly made me eat humble pie... it was a superb opening episode regardless of my percieved flaws... Jodie really is The Doctor... she owned that role... all credit to the two of them... and... sorry about my inane ramblings on all of this lol!... cheers.

Last edited:
(9)... "it's been a long time since I've bought women's clothes!" blurts out Jodie... so The Doctor HAS been a female before now?... I wonder where that sits in the Whovian Time line?...

Nah. He has had many opportunities in the past to organise clothing for his companions (sorry, Friends..). Presumably he buys clothes for the TARDIS wardrobe rooms, unless they are generated by the TARDIS itself.

Oh one other thing I wanted to mention was that when asked, the Doctor says she has no family. I wonder how we should take that.

Technically she has no family she is in contact with. Though Susan, Jenny, River etc are all still out there somewhere. And the TARDIS, that's his wife too :D

Nah. He has had many opportunities in the past to organise clothing for his companions (sorry, Friends..). Presumably he buys clothes for the TARDIS wardrobe rooms, unless they are generated by the TARDIS itself.

...yes that would explain it quite well Meglos... that's good thinking on your part my friend... I never thought of that lol!... cheers.

Back