Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

Really... Kavanaugh? Interesting....
Probably a moot point. Even if he could be removed, Trump would put up another RWNJ instead, and SC judges are confirmed by the senate, where the Republicans continue to have a majority.

A perfect result for Trump and his dwindling supporters. With the democrats controlling the house he can now shift the blame to them for his continuous failings.
He does anyway, especially the way he keeps bleating about Obama and Clinton. His failings are because of them, according to him. Nuh uh, you've concentrated less on what needs to be attended to and more on your supposed wins and bigly crowds and how bad the previous administration was. Now that the Democrats have the House, be prepared for some serious reckoning. As an aside, it would be very interesting to know what the outcome would be if voting was compulsory.

If they had compulsory voting rather than vote blocking - the Democrats would win EVERYTHING
There are far more Democrats, actually hugely more.
But a LOT of vote blocking in US, it is far from a real fair democracy

Poor people largely support democrats and getting to vote is very hard if you are one of the working poor, they cannot afford to stand inline for 5 hours.
I am quite shocked at how dismal the system in the USA is, they create all kinds of hurdles to voting, bizarre and very undemocratic

Plus the young are less likely to vote, but would more likely vote Democrat if they had to.

Honestly I’m not sure if there’s anything about the US political system that would be an improvement over what we have here.

Well except it seems to be all fixed terms there. The idea that the government gets to choose when there’s an election is ridiculous.

Reactions: kxk
VICTORIA votes today:) I love voting and elections.....Labor is likely to remain in power, Liberal guy sucks

Victorian Labor is far from perfect but the Libs' crime scare deserves to fail

There is no obvious reason for Victorians to reject Daniel Andrews’ Labor government after a single term in office. The state has the strongest economy in the nation. It has infrastructure projects worth billions in the pipeline. On social issues, from assisted dying to safe injecting rooms, Labor has been bold, and its investment of $2bn in domestic violence is ambitious and overdue.

And it remains energetic, with huge new projects proposed for a second term, and more work on entrenched social problems, including a proposed royal commission into mental health.

Compared with the federal government, it is functioning and stable – Andrews has been the leader the whole four years. “Delivering for all Victorians” is a pedestrian but apt slogan.
..........................The “out of control” refrain is about crime, and it is here that the Liberals sniffed their longshot chance to win and stoked their rhetoric to the point of absurdity.

Walked straight up to the ballot table today, then straight up to the sausage table. Too easy.

For me the big shame no one is taking a serious homelessness policy to the election.

Walked straight up to the ballot table today, then straight up to the sausage table. Too easy.

For me the big shame no one is taking a serious homelessness policy to the election.

The railway projects are freeing up crown land, my local has gone underground, and there is a huge slab of land just sitting there vacant.
Building apartment blocks there should be a priority.

Plus, I worked for a community service that put forward a great idea......Coles/Woolworths, have many supermarkets they could build housing on top of, make any newly developed large profitable organisations buildings, like banks and supermarkets and department store - have a compulsory public housing element attached.
Old supermarkets are ideal, they are generally situated island like, but amongst high density shopping areas

And our voting is a pleasant experience, I cannot believe how difficult they make it in the USA, that is not a democracy

Yeah, watching the same
It is starting to look like Labor will romp this in, Libs take note I think the entire country HATES you fuck-ups

Back