Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

I wouldn't be surprised if Dutton challenges again..
I doubt it. There'll have to be an election soon, by April I reckon. Libs are doomed. He'd be better off keeping his head down and rolling ScoMo after that loss (assuming he gets re-elected, which itself is rather unlikely) or pledging now to stand down at the next election.

But if he realises these are his best two options, perhaps he will have another crack after all. But all for what? So he can lead the Coalition into a crushing loss? Why would anyone want to be the Liberals leader right now?

The far right won’t give up, they can’t help themselves.

And neither will Newscorp/2GB.
No, perhaps you're right.

I wonder how long you have to be PM to gain the life long benefits of having held that office? Accoding to Wikipedia, they get provided with ‘a number of facilities at the discretion of the prime minister of the day’. These entitlements have included car costs and office entitlements such as office establishment and lease costs, fixtures, telecommunications, office stationery and publications.

Would be rather nice having a CommCar at my disposal. "Home, James.."

Who was it on here who commented the other day ‚how the fuck is it that I can be older than Scott Morrison...‘ ?!

Bahahahaha.

After all that they didn't get the leader they wanted. You can't make this shit up. Couldn't run a sausage sizzle.

Turnbull was masterful at fucking up there plans. Where was that Turnbull during his Prime Ministership???

I also love the last dig at the media where Turnbull didn't take any questions from News Corp after his farewell speech.

Turnbull was masterful at fucking up there plans. Where was that Turnbull during his Prime Ministership???
Yeah it was kinda hilarious really. Turnbull took control and called Dutton's bluff knowing he had not secured the numbers for the spill, then by demanding the 43 signatures, gave ScoMo the time to rally the troops for himself.

I guess I can live with ScoMo until the election (certainly more than Dutton). Hopefully he can't do too much damage before then. Because of Vic and NSW's upcoming state elections (and a whole raft of reasons according to Antony Green) it means a federal one can't be until maybe April or May.

Trump is proof enough that age doesn't indicate you will make a better leader for a country!

All I meant was I would take Jacinda Arden over Donald Trump any day so age of the leader means nothing - Competency and capability does. Do I think any of the options we had this week in Australia was going to be great? probably not - but my two cents worth Bishop would have been the best bet. This country is severely lacking in inspirational leadership options that makes me profoundly grateful I don't have to vote.

Anyway so Antony Green's (already slightly out of date) article about the timing of the federal election is here:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-22/the-when-and-how-of-calling-the-next-federal-election/10153686

October: Possibly
November: Can't because Vic has a state election
December: Are you insane?
January: Nope (silly season)
February: Probably not because campaign would still run over summer. Have never had a federal election in Jan or Feb.
March: Can't because NSW has a state election (although Feds could force NSW to push back to April)
April: Nope because of Easter and school holidays
May: Last chance because a joint Reps/Senate election must be held by 18 May.

Should we have a sweep on the election date?

Reactions: kxk
Anyway so Antony Green's (already slightly out of date) article about the timing of the federal election is here:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-22/the-when-and-how-of-calling-the-next-federal-election/10153686

October: Possibly
November: Can't because Vic has a state election
December: Are you insane?
January: Nope (silly season)
February: Probably not because campaign would still run over summer. Have never had a federal election in Jan or Feb.
March: Can't because NSW has a state election (although Feds could force NSW to push back to April)
April: Nope because of Easter and school holidays
May: Last chance because a joint Reps/Senate election must be held by 18 May.

Should we have a sweep on the election date?
A sweep could be fun. Would everyone just pick a date?

Back