Skip to main content

Dear Channel Nine...

"I wish that they would just shut up about it".

Ditto in my home

Well said @Mr Stickyfingers .....they went through hell, terrifying hell, just wanted to forget, but couldn't....
My Dad....a sensitive gentlemanly artistic soul, he detested swearing, never heard a curse word until I left home, being in a war hurt him to the core - and made him kind of loopy, mood swings, aggressive fits and stuff.
He was a lot better in his elderly years

I have cousins who lost their Dad's, not physically, they came home - but they spent their entire lives in and out of mental hospitals.
They were all country boys too, so even cities were a big deal

...yes I think he did now that I think of it... you may be right reepbot... and as kxk said... "All of our Dad's were a bit damaged, and never spoke of what they went through"... she is right... my dad was in the British Army in WWII as a motorbike dispatch rider... he had seen all the horrors of War first hand throughout France/Germany/Holland/Belgium and Africa just to name a few... he rarely spoke of the war and hated 'Anzac Day' in Australia and 'Remembrance Day' in England each year...

...he always came close to crying whenever he heard the 'Last Post' played... he even hated Hospitals and refused to ever go to one unless I basically forced him... one day I asked him as to why he hated Hospitals so much... he bluntly said to me "because so many of my mates went into them in WWII and most times most of them never came out of them... that's why!"... I just shut up and never asked again...

...so to my dad at least... Anzac Day was always just full of bad memories to him and he couldn't understand as to why people 'made a big fuss of a War' of so many years ago... he used to say... "I wish that they would just shut up about it"... or words to that effect... he had all of his old enlistment papers and Army papers and documents secreted away with some medals too along with his old WWII war helmet too believe it or not... when mum asked him what he was going to do with all of that stuff I asked him if I could have them... he reluctantly agreed to give them to me... what he wasn't aware of was that I framed all of his medals and ribbons along with all of his war documentation into frames and hung them in my Bar Room (old bedroom)...

...when he next visited my house I took him into the Bar Room to have a couple of drinks with him (as we did on many occasions) and he was gobsmacked at what I had done lol!... (I expected him to get shitty about it to be honest)... he was the total opposite in fact... he felt like what he had been through was 'appreciated' by me and was quite humbled by it... I guess that he felt that a private tribute was really nice on my behalf but with the nationwide Anzac tributes and constant reminders of it all was just a bit too much for him...

...so when parasitic fucksticks like Stefanovic get on their moral bandwagons and try to garner support for furthering their 'careers' on national TV by lassoing onto something like Anzac Day then people like my dad would most likely be turning in their graves at what Stefanovic has done... and for that similar reason for me... all I can say is ... "shut the fuck up with talking about the War that you had no part in whatsoever and stop grandstanding with other peoples past memories you imbecile!"... Stefanovic is a parasite... he needs to just... just... go away and never be seen again... and as always... Channel 9 I still hate your guts!... cheers. :mad::punch::rage:.
ANZAC Day is like Christmas, Easter and other significant days that are exactly that to some, but not to others. It's when people in the media/entertainment industries make out that their opinion is the only opinion (with every word being hung onto by their sycophants) that it becomes offensive to me. Just because you're in the public eye, doesn't make you an oracle or font of all wisdom. Not unlike some people on here really, lol.

All VETS should get free movie tickets on ANZAC day and every other day:)
That would have pleased my Dad, he loved movies and discounts and freebies.

And the other ignorant talking head dickhead is taken to task.......:)

Kochie highlighted a huge problem when it comes to outdated propaganda opposing legal weed
IT WAS hard not to cringe when Kochie shared his outdated views this week of why weed should stay illegal in Australia. Here is why he and many others need a refresh.

IT FEELS like every time a new drug law reform policy to decriminalise weed for adults in Australia is suggested, people lose their minds and immediately begin fear mongering about why letting people smoke marijuana legally will lead to anarchy in the streets.

It’s actually quite easy to see why this opinion is held given the disorder and mayhem seen in America after Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon and Washington DC legalised recreational cannabis on January 1 this year.

Actually come to think of it, these US states have only seen a decrease in weed-related arrests, a stimulated economy from taxing marijuana and medicinal benefits for users.

If this is the case, why does Australia feel the need to peddle outdated anti-weed propaganda with pitchforks in hand?
My guess is a lack of education about the drug and an unwillingness to have an open mind when discussing whether it’s time to let adults — who already smoke weed anyway — to purchase it legally so they can stop dealing with criminals.

One only has to look at David Koch’s interview with Green’s leader Richard Di Natale on Sunrise earlier this week to see how embarrassingly stuck in the dark ages some Aussies are when it comes to the debate of legalisation.

The awkward interview, which Kochie appeared to research by watching the 1936 propaganda film Reefer Madness that explores the melodramatic events that ensue when high school students try marijuana, was nothing short of cringe-worthy and an embarrassment to those wanting to be heard in an educated and modern discussion.

“Most Australians would be going, look, you’ve been smoking marijuana,” Kochie said in response to Di Natale’s proposal.

Di Natale’s basis for legalisation was it would raise hundreds of millions of dollars in tax, would remove the power from the crime syndicates and would prevent innocent Aussies just wanting a smoke from obtaining damaging criminal records.

“We have got to get real about cannabis, nearly seven million Australians use it,” he said.

“The reality is that’s a choice that feeds big criminal syndicates, they are the ones that benefit from the current system.

“This is taking it out of the hands of criminals and putting it within a tightly controlled health framework.”

Kochie took offence to common sense and immediately reverted back to outdated “facts” about marijuana and even admitted that while Di Natale’s professional experience in the field as a drug and alcohol doctor made gave him more knowledgeable, he still wasn’t convinced.

To help break down the flaws in Kochie’s argument or to help sway those who are actually willing to have a discussion about the legalisation of weed, here’s some modern research.

ALCOHOL IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN WEED

Yes, Kochie was shocked when the Greens leader said weed was safer than booze. As Di Natale pointed out, people die from acute alcohol toxicity all the time, yet there have been zero recorded cases of overdosing on marijuana.

OK, sure you can’t die, but what about the other health risks that have been linked to weed over time?

In an attempt to sort fact from fiction, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine completed the world’s most comprehensive study into marijuana last year.

After examining more than 10,000 scientific abstracts dating back to 1999, the extensive 395-page report unearthed more than 100 conclusions about the health effects of recreational and therapeutic cannabis use — many of which support arguments it should be legal.

“The evidence suggests that smoking cannabis does not increase the risk for certain cancers (ie. lung, head, and neck) in adults,” one of the findings read.

And while it did admit smoking cannabis on a regular basis is associated with chronic cough and phlegm production, it explained taking the drug orally will likely reduce these symptoms — legalisation of weed means you can buy eatables and not be forced to smoke.

The report also confirmed the many therapeutic effects of weed.

“In adults with chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting, oral cannabinoids are effective antiemetics,” the report read.

“In adults with chronic pain, patients who were treated with cannabis or cannabinoids are more likely to experience a clinically significant reduction in pain symptoms.

“In adults with multiple sclerosis (MS)-related spasticity, short-term use of oral cannabinoids improves patient reported spasticity symptoms.”

When looking at cannabis use and mental health, the findings offer mixed results.

“Cannabis use is likely to increase the risk of developing schizophrenia and other
psychoses; the higher the use the greater the risk,” the report read.

However, it added that a history of cannabis use in individuals with schizophrenia and other psychoses may be “linked to better performance on learning and memory tasks”.

The research found smoking weed did not appear to increase the likelihood of developing depression, anxiety or PTSD, and heavy cannabis smokers more likely to talk about their thoughts of suicide than non-users.

WON’T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN

One of the most common arguments with the legalisation of weed is that more children will have access to the drug at a young age.

These people seem to forget that it will be treated with the same age restrictions used for the sale of alcohol — plus there’s nothing stopping a 15-year-old who wants to smoke pot from buying it off the street already.

But let’s forget the age restrictions for a minute and take a look at places that have legalised marijuana and how this has impacted underage use.

As it turns out, fewer teenagers are using cannabis in Colorado since the state’s tightly regulated legal market launched at the start of 2014.

According to the annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health, marijuana use by kids between 12 and 17 had dropped 11 per cent from year prior and 12.5 per cent from the previous two years in Colorado.

This drop is attributed to the amount of money that Colorado has poured into awareness and education programs, plus making it harder to obtain by removing it from the black market.

IT CAN’T BE WORTH THAT MUCH TO THE ECONOMY

According to marijuana industry analyst Tom Adams, the industry in the US took in nearly $AU11.7 billion in sales in 2017 — equivalent to the entire snack bar industry.

But with weed now legal in a number of US states, Adams estimates that national marijuana sales will rise to $AU14.3 billion in 2018, and to $AU27.4 billion in 2021.

State senator from Nevada Tick Segerblom has also praised the legalisation of weed, with the state reaping more than $A36 million in tax revenue since recreational sales started.

“It’s a great thing because the money was already being spent [when it was illegal] it’s just now being taxed,” he told CNN. “And cops don’t have to waste their time arresting users.”
Earlier research conducted by the Institute of Cannabis Research at Colorado State University found the legalisation of weed raked in $AU74 million in tax in 2016, with $AU29 million of that put toward marijuana-related programs to educate users.

pt 2
DOES WEED MAKE YOU LAZY?

Recent times have shown a huge surge in people smoking weed to help athletic performance as it deepens concentration, increases tissue oxygenation, and decreases muscle spasms before, during and after exercise.

Ultra-endurance athlete Avery Collins, who runs 240km per week, said training stoned helps him achieve flow quicker as the “runner’s high” acts upon the same receptors that receive the THC in marijuana.

“I use it as a way to intensify and enhance the run. It makes the longevity of the runner’s high last longer because technically you’re already high,” he told Motherboard.

Cannabis has long been accredited with anti-inflammatory properties and Mr Collins said he also smokes weed for the pain relief after gruelling training sessions.

“I’d be lying if I said [cannabis] doesn’t help soothe my muscles,” he added.

It’s not just runners who benefit either, with UFC commentator/stand-up comedian/podcaster Joe Rogan talking about its benefits for fighters.

“I think it (marijuana) is a performance-enhancing drug. If it wasn’t, a huge majority of jiu-jitsu guys wouldn’t be using it before they train,” he said on The MMA Hour. “They don’t do it because it hurts them; they do it because it helps them.”

He also claimed to have seen the benefits first-hand.

“I like to smoke pot and work out,” he said. “Getting high and working out is one of the least talked about and least appreciated pleasures of fitness.”

HOW AUSTRALIA CURRENTLY SITS WITH THE REST OF THE WORLD

Our country is slowly taking steps to change its stance on weed, with Victoria becoming the first state to legalise marijuana for young children suffering from epilepsy, while NSW also allows use for patients suffering from serious illnesses such as cancer or multiple sclerosis.

Queensland’s laws are the most flexible in the country, which grant patients of any age or suffering from a range of illnesses access to medicinal cannabis products.

Tasmania allows medical cannabis in limited circumstances where conventional treatment has been unsuccessful, as does Western Australia, South Australia, the NT and the ACT.

While the use of medical marijuana is a step in the right direction, we also need to be talking about legalising it for recreational use, which would bring us on par with a number of countries across the world.

In addition to the earlier mentioned US States, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Belize, Brazil, Cambodia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Estonia, Greece, parts of India, Italy, Jamaica, Luzembourg, Malta, Mexico, Myanmar, Netherlands, Norway, Paraguay, Peru, Portugal, Russia, Solvenia, Spain, Switzerland, Ukraine and Uruguay all have made recreational weed use legal or have decriminalised it — and the world hasn’t ended yet.

So maybe Kochie just needs to understand that letting adults enjoy a cheeky toke or two is not going to lead to the end of the world.

Continue the conversation in the comments below or with your favourite pro-weed ambassador Matthew Dunn on Facebook and Twitter.

fLlzcOS.jpg

https://www.dva.gov.au/commemorations-memorials-and-war-graves/protecting-word-anzac

saw it on reddit.

i wonder if karl, self appointed defender of the ANZAC spirit, has anything to say about the name being used to promote this garbage?

My problem with media such as the image @reepbot posted is that it has turned ANZAC day into a celebration where it is anything but. It is a rememberance. Its very purpose is so we can strive for a future where the horrible events of the WWI and any other war don't happen again. We don't celebrate lives. We remember what happened and why it should never happen again. Its not a funeral. Nobody should be happy that its ANZAC day. In my opinion it is frankly insulting to the very memory and sacrifice of the ANZACs that it be tarnished in such a way that it be "celebrated" towards an altogether lustful program that they are running on the morning show for Money.

That being said though, despite ANZAC coverage being pretty bad across the board (besides the ABC I guess),it is obvious that in most cases, news and television presenters are trying their hardest to be respectful of a day that means a lot to many people around the world.

fLlzcOS.jpg

https://www.dva.gov.au/commemorations-memorials-and-war-graves/protecting-word-anzac

saw it on reddit.

i wonder if karl, self appointed defender of the ANZAC spirit, has anything to say about the name being used to promote this garbage?

...well it looks like your well said post has a happy ending at last reepbot my friend... apparently Channel 9 is copping a $51,000 fine for the use of 'Anzac' in that promo... haha!... talk about getting bitten on the arse once again for Channel 9... it's just a shame that it wasn't a lot more... on this website below... and... as per my usual statement...Channel 9 I still hate your guts!... cheers. :mad::punch::rage:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainme...-faces-fine-for-use-of-anzac-in-cash-giveaway

Australian broadcaster Channel Nine faces fine for use of 'Anzac' in cash giveaway
JENNY NOYES

Last updated 04:48, April 28 2018

1524847700218.jpg

Channel Nine's Today show is facing a possible fine for breaching regulations on commercial use of the word 'Anzac'.

A law protecting the word 'Anzac' from inappropriate commercial use was breached by Channel Nine in Australia on Tuesday when Today used it as the code word in a cash giveaway.

Audiences may enter the daily A$10,000 "Mega-Cash-A-Roo" giveaway by texting a code word advertised by Today during the previous day's show. On Tuesday, for the Wednesday cash giveaway, that code word was 'Anzac'.

Under the Protection of Word Anzac Regulations, the word Anzac – or any word resembling it – in connection with "any trade, business, calling or profession or in connection with any entertainment or any lottery or art union or as the name or part of a name of any private residence, boat, vehicle of charitable or other institution, or other institution, or any building" is not permitted without the authority of the Minister for Veterans' Affairs.

Commonly approved commercial uses of the word 'Anzac' include the sale of biscuits, providing they conform to the traditional recipe and shape, and are called 'biscuits' or 'slice' rather than the Americanised 'cookie'.

In considering applications for use of the word 'Anzac' in commercial contexts, the minister takes into account matters including the intent of the legislation to protect the word from overuse and misuse, the views of the ex-service community, and whether there is any commemorative link between the proposed use and the Anzacs and the Gallipoli campaign.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Veterans Affairs said the use of the word for a cash giveaway by Channel Nine was not approved by Minister Darren Chester.

"Even if they had approached us, we wouldn't normally grant them the use of the word Anzac in this manner," she said.

The department has reached out to Channel Nine for an explanation.

Although "no decision has been made", there are significant penalties for breaching the law, the spokeswoman said.

Under the Crimes Act of 1914, a penalty of up to $51,000 may be imposed on a corporation for the breach.

It comes after Today host Karl Stefanovic blasted cinemas for releasing the movie Avengers: Infinity War on Anzac Day as "a grubby cash grab".

- Sydney Morning Herald

...well it looks like your well said post has a happy ending at last reepbot my friend... apparently Channel 9 is copping a $51,000 fine for the use of 'Anzac' in that promo... haha!... talk about getting bitten on the arse once again for Channel 9... it's just a shame that it wasn't a lot more... on this website below... and... as per my usual statement...Channel 9 I still hate your guts!... cheers. :mad::punch::rage:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainme...-faces-fine-for-use-of-anzac-in-cash-giveaway

Australian broadcaster Channel Nine faces fine for use of 'Anzac' in cash giveaway
JENNY NOYES

Last updated 04:48, April 28 2018

1524847700218.jpg

Channel Nine's Today show is facing a possible fine for breaching regulations on commercial use of the word 'Anzac'.

A law protecting the word 'Anzac' from inappropriate commercial use was breached by Channel Nine in Australia on Tuesday when Today used it as the code word in a cash giveaway.

Audiences may enter the daily A$10,000 "Mega-Cash-A-Roo" giveaway by texting a code word advertised by Today during the previous day's show. On Tuesday, for the Wednesday cash giveaway, that code word was 'Anzac'.

Under the Protection of Word Anzac Regulations, the word Anzac – or any word resembling it – in connection with "any trade, business, calling or profession or in connection with any entertainment or any lottery or art union or as the name or part of a name of any private residence, boat, vehicle of charitable or other institution, or other institution, or any building" is not permitted without the authority of the Minister for Veterans' Affairs.

Commonly approved commercial uses of the word 'Anzac' include the sale of biscuits, providing they conform to the traditional recipe and shape, and are called 'biscuits' or 'slice' rather than the Americanised 'cookie'.

In considering applications for use of the word 'Anzac' in commercial contexts, the minister takes into account matters including the intent of the legislation to protect the word from overuse and misuse, the views of the ex-service community, and whether there is any commemorative link between the proposed use and the Anzacs and the Gallipoli campaign.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Veterans Affairs said the use of the word for a cash giveaway by Channel Nine was not approved by Minister Darren Chester.

"Even if they had approached us, we wouldn't normally grant them the use of the word Anzac in this manner," she said.

The department has reached out to Channel Nine for an explanation.

Although "no decision has been made", there are significant penalties for breaching the law, the spokeswoman said.

Under the Crimes Act of 1914, a penalty of up to $51,000 may be imposed on a corporation for the breach.

It comes after Today host Karl Stefanovic blasted cinemas for releasing the movie Avengers: Infinity War on Anzac Day as "a grubby cash grab".

- Sydney Morning Herald

Hmm they face fines, I can't see it happening to be honest.

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4837208.htm

transcript about channel nine stuffing up yet again.

KARL STEFANOVIC: … bringing the release a day early smacks to me of a grubby cash grab. Well, grab your cash somewhere else, exploit another day. Not on what I believe is the most important day on our nation’s calendar …

— Today, Channel Nine, 19 April, 2018

KARL STEFANOVIC: To be in the running for the next draw which is tomorrow …

DEBORAH KNIGHT: It is.

KARL STEFANOVIC: … you need the code word ‘ANZAC’.

DEBORAH KNIGHT: Yes, so for 30 grand you’ve got to be in it to win it. ‘ANZAC’ is our code word …

— Today, Channel Nine, 24 April, 2018

Karl explained: 'We just had to escort some young Australians to the door.'
Where is the door??????

WANKER
4C4C6D1100000578-0-image-a-22_1526429112212.jpg

The Today show presenters are used to filming their breakfast program in a closed-set Channel Nine studio in Sydney.

And on Tuesday, Karl Stefanovic was left looking very unimpressed when a gang of hecklers interrupted his broadcast from London, England.

The 43-year-old gave several 'rowdy Aussies' a dirty look after they jeered during his live cross and offered the withering put-down: 'Their parents will be proud.'

GO HECKLERS....GET THE BASTARD.....so un Aussie to eject critics, bet they were chanting WANKER
4C4C6D1500000578-0-They_re_in_the_party_mood_The_group_holding_Australian_flags_and-m-36_1526430082555.jpg

BRITS = nuts, camping out for weeks

Karl explained: 'We just had to escort some young Australians to the door.'
Where is the door??????

WANKER
4C4C6D1100000578-0-image-a-22_1526429112212.jpg

The Today show presenters are used to filming their breakfast program in a closed-set Channel Nine studio in Sydney.

And on Tuesday, Karl Stefanovic was left looking very unimpressed when a gang of hecklers interrupted his broadcast from London, England.

The 43-year-old gave several 'rowdy Aussies' a dirty look after they jeered during his live cross and offered the withering put-down: 'Their parents will be proud.'

GO HECKLERS....GET THE BASTARD.....so un Aussie to eject critics, bet they were chanting WANKER
4C4C6D1500000578-0-They_re_in_the_party_mood_The_group_holding_Australian_flags_and-m-36_1526430082555.jpg

BRITS = nuts, camping out for weeks
Karl's reputation precedes him all the way to London? That or they know a bozo when they see one.

Reactions: kxk
And Wow, I caught a little of Karl and new sidekick this morning........very interesting, she is basically so far above him, very nice classy lady.
And he is so dim and silly now, she barely has to give him a tiny condescending glance and he squirms....this dynamic is rather fascinating.
It seems like she knows he has only days/weeks left.....and her interaction is basically, pfft, you smell
The other male turd on 7 is a dinosaur and his days are numbered also apparently....
Dump the dickhead on 10 mornings, clean sweep
Let women do it...don't need philandering slimeball men with enormous egos

How amusing. Lisa Wilkinson in London to cover that very small event. Even more amusing it would be, if Karl has to stay in his play pen playing with his .... cash cow.

Reactions: kxk
And Wow, I caught a little of Karl and new sidekick this morning........very interesting, she is basically so far above him, very nice classy lady.
And he is so dim and silly now, she barely has to give him a tiny condescending glance and he squirms....this dynamic is rather fascinating.
It seems like she knows he has only days/weeks left.....and her interaction is basically, pfft, you smell
The other male turd on 7 is a dinosaur and his days are numbered also apparently....
Dump the dickhead on 10 mornings, clean sweep
Let women do it...don't need philandering slimeball men with enormous egos
One can only hope that he is on the way out. Signed his own demise with that very inappropriate Uber conversation. If the driver hadn't passed it on, who knows how long he'd be getting away with stuff.

Back