Skip to main content

Big Brother UK season 15 - SPOILERS

Apologies in advance for a long post, but ...

I’ve found the whole uproar about Helen winning hilarious. Extreme fury, threats of law suits, conspiracy theories … the fallout is almost as good as watching the show.

The vote rigging theories are the most fun, and considering how appallingly the current producers have respected the program/HMs and the fans, it is tempting to believe this is true. But while it is certainly possible, I would think it is highly improbable.

Why? Well, once punters are paying to vote, there are several legislations that cover the legitimacy of a vote. Channel 5 would need to have a really good reason to risk large fines and/or appalling publicity to bother vote fixing. Is Helen’s rumoured upcoming RTV show a good enough reason? Not likely. Would the fact that the former owner has signed some of the HMs to his PR firm be enough reason? Again, not likely. There’s also rumours that the betting syndicate that controls the BB voting app could have orchestrated the fix, which is a theory I like. But realistically, those guys know their business and just don’t offer odds that would allow them significant losses, so why would they rig BB voting when it would surely be a fairly small part of their income.

What is undoubtedly true and we all know, is that BB is heavily edited to cater to particular storylines, which favours some HMs and disadvantages others. This is absolutely a form of rigging that occurs in every season, but this year’s production team is guiltier than most with their meddling (e.g. bringing evicted HMs into the house for an eviction party where they can talk freely about outside perceptions, with most of the guests being from the ‘cool kids’ group). But IMO, that’s as far as it goes, and it is probably more (but not entirely) about ratings than it is about securing a predetermined result. So while I accept that BB is rigged in the edit (which is a big reason as to why we should still have live feeds), the other rigging rumours are just speculation. If evidence emerges to back up the rigging theories, I will be as furious as the next person. But until that happens, I don’t buy it, and I think that Helen won fairly and squarely ... well, within the context of a program that gave an unprecedented amount of outside info to the HMs, and it is arguable as to whether all of this year's HMs were in the same boat in that regards.

Additionally, lots of people have said that the lack of visible Helen fans is further proof of the voting fix. But I think that the reason for this is really complex, and like the rigging claims, speculative. Potentially:
  1. Many of us, and many non-fans included, had mixed feelings about Helen, so showing outright support was emotionally and culturally complicated.
  2. The majority of comments about Helen were passionately disparaging, as is everyone’s right, but this makes it harder to be a lone voice of support, especially given the above point (and full marks on this site to Dystopia for defying popular opinion, including my own).
  3. How we (the UK in particular) pick a winner has changed over the years. We still vote out ‘big characters’ but after years of cynicism we are now more prepared to think outside the box when picking winners.
  4. There might be a backlash against last year’s winner, who many people thought was an undeserving ‘pot plant’ winner, while the entertaining fan favourites (who, interestingly, each had controversial aspects to their personalities, but were popular nonetheless) lost.
I’m not saying I am right about all of that, but it is more likely than a top level C5 vote-rigging conspiracy for Helen to win.

Helen wasn’t the winner I wanted (although I did think she was really funny, often at her own expense), but I’m happy for her anyway. I believe she felt diminished by her very public past shame, and that shame made her even angrier than her background and previous lifestyle had already made her. Therefore, winning might help her to feel proud of herself, and help her to heal (although I think coming second would have probably had the same effect). AND I’m really happy for her son: now mum isn’t just a publicly-hated former prostitute, she is proven to be a publicly-popular former prostitute. Ok, not everyone watches (only 1.53 million for the finale apparently) and even fewer vote, but that’s got to give him some ammunition against his detractors in the playground, despite the furore.

I also don’t think that her win rewards bullying. We all know that without the fast pass she would have been out on her ear early, during the height of her bad behaviour. And even when her behaviour improved she still relapsed, which is normal, people don’t change overnight; self-improvement is a work in progress, especially for someone as damaged as Helen. But I think the win was largely because she acknowledged a desire to change, and was working on it, which many voters liked. Was it real? Well I’ll admit I am generally not a good judge of that, so I can’t comment. Suffice to say, if it is real, good job; and if not, good game.

So on Friday they said there was 1.2% between Helen an Ashleigh and today there are unconfirmed reports just 1000 votes split them. That would mean just over 83,000 votes were cast for the final out of 1.5m watching.

At it's peak BB was getting 1.5-2.5m votes for evictions and 8-10m for the finals, and even C4's lowest rated season still pulled in 3m votes. If they could only get 83,000 votes for the final I doubt they had more than half a million votes across the series - just highlights how disinterested the people still actually watching are, and also how the public vote is now a cost rather than a revenue stream.

It's not going to happen but would so love to see our format axed and replaced with a show following the US format airing just 3-4 times a week.
Yeah, the franchise is definitely not as popular anymore. And that is a pitiful (unconfirmed) amount of votes. By these figures, if Ashleigh's camp had spent 500-ish pounds, they could have won the 100 grand for her. That's a pretty good return on investment.

Interestingly, this year’s UK finale rated only slightly more than Australia’s 2013 finale, which considering we are only about 37% of their population, that’s not great for the UK version.

However, the UK is just under 20% of the US population, so comparing the US and UK finale numbers of 2012 and 2013 respectively (skipping US 2013 ratings after losing numbers due to a terrible season) and increasing the UK population numbers to the same as the US, BBUK is slightly more popular (about 10%) than BBUS.

All of which is a good sign for Aussie fans, as we are probably doing about twice as well as either of these BB franchises, if we had the same populations.

That’s my layperson's reading of the stats anyway, and we all know how stats can be manipulated, lol.

Apologies in advance for a long post, but ...

I’ve found the whole uproar about Helen winning hilarious. Extreme fury, threats of law suits, conspiracy theories … the fallout is almost as good as watching the show.

The vote rigging theories are the most fun, and considering how appallingly the current producers have respected the program/HMs and the fans, it is tempting to believe this is true. But while it is certainly possible, I would think it is highly improbable.

Why? Well, once punters are paying to vote, there are several legislations that cover the legitimacy of a vote. Channel 5 would need to have a really good reason to risk large fines and/or appalling publicity to bother vote fixing. Is Helen’s rumoured upcoming RTV show a good enough reason? Not likely. Would the fact that the former owner has signed some of the HMs to his PR firm be enough reason? Again, not likely. There’s also rumours that the betting syndicate that controls the BB voting app could have orchestrated the fix, which is a theory I like. But realistically, those guys know their business and just don’t offer odds that would allow them significant losses, so why would they rig BB voting when it would surely be a fairly small part of their income.

What is undoubtedly true and we all know, is that BB is heavily edited to cater to particular storylines, which favours some HMs and disadvantages others. This is absolutely a form of rigging that occurs in every season, but this year’s production team is guiltier than most with their meddling (e.g. bringing evicted HMs into the house for an eviction party where they can talk freely about outside perceptions, with most of the guests being from the ‘cool kids’ group). But IMO, that’s as far as it goes, and it is probably more (but not entirely) about ratings than it is about securing a predetermined result. So while I accept that BB is rigged in the edit (which is a big reason as to why we should still have live feeds), the other rigging rumours are just speculation. If evidence emerges to back up the rigging theories, I will be as furious as the next person. But until that happens, I don’t buy it, and I think that Helen won fairly and squarely ... well, within the context of a program that gave an unprecedented amount of outside info to the HMs, and it is arguable as to whether all of this year's HMs were in the same boat in that regards.

Additionally, lots of people have said that the lack of visible Helen fans is further proof of the voting fix. But I think that the reason for this is really complex, and like the rigging claims, speculative. Potentially:
  1. Many of us, and many non-fans included, had mixed feelings about Helen, so showing outright support was emotionally and culturally complicated.
  2. The majority of comments about Helen were passionately disparaging, as is everyone’s right, but this makes it harder to be a lone voice of support, especially given the above point (and full marks on this site to Dystopia for defying popular opinion, including my own).
  3. How we (the UK in particular) pick a winner has changed over the years. We still vote out ‘big characters’ but after years of cynicism we are now more prepared to think outside the box when picking winners.
  4. There might be a backlash against last year’s winner, who many people thought was an undeserving ‘pot plant’ winner, while the entertaining fan favourites (who, interestingly, each had controversial aspects to their personalities, but were popular nonetheless) lost.
I’m not saying I am right about all of that, but it is more likely than a top level C5 vote-rigging conspiracy for Helen to win.

Helen wasn’t the winner I wanted (although I did think she was really funny, often at her own expense), but I’m happy for her anyway. I believe she felt diminished by her very public past shame, and that shame made her even angrier than her background and previous lifestyle had already made her. Therefore, winning might help her to feel proud of herself, and help her to heal (although I think coming second would have probably had the same effect). AND I’m really happy for her son: now mum isn’t just a publicly-hated former prostitute, she is proven to be a publicly-popular former prostitute. Ok, not everyone watches (only 1.53 million for the finale apparently) and even fewer vote, but that’s got to give him some ammunition against his detractors in the playground, despite the furore.

I also don’t think that her win rewards bullying. We all know that without the fast pass she would have been out on her ear early, during the height of her bad behaviour. And even when her behaviour improved she still relapsed, which is normal, people don’t change overnight; self-improvement is a work in progress, especially for someone as damaged as Helen. But I think the win was largely because she acknowledged a desire to change, and was working on it, which many voters liked. Was it real? Well I’ll admit I am generally not a good judge of that, so I can’t comment. Suffice to say, if it is real, good job; and if not, good game.

I agree with most of what you're saying here, more likely everything. I've highlited two paragraphs NOT because you mentioned my esteemed name :pompus: but because you have touched on the subject I have been wondering on how to break to the rumbustious, freethinking community here.

My way of deploring: Have any of you ever been in a village without electricity where no one has ever seen a white man - woman/lady/girl/female/chick/sheila/... in Africa or Asia? No? Go there... and you'll know what it has felt like to come here as the sole Helen supporter for the last several weeks.

Free speech, being polarised, fair go... whatever happened to our tolerance? Yes, polarised.. I am even using modern, politically correct slogans here, are the opinions on the HMs and the show at large not supposed to be 'polarised' ?
There were no poles here, only a Pied Piper like attitude.

Don't take me wrong, I tend to get carried away like the next guy - sorry (girl/woman/lady/ etc)... but for the sake of those who would voice a different opinion to the one in vogue at any given time, let's have MORE THAN ONE THREAD in the forum where we will frolick, debating and arguing the BB Celebs.
A Hate and Love thread at least, so the ones who barrack for the non-favourites have at least a place to go and hide. Pretty please? :kiss:

I agree with most of what you're saying here, more likely everything. I've highlited two paragraphs NOT because you mentioned my esteemed name :pompus: but because you have touched on the subject I have been wondering on how to break to the rumbustious, freethinking community here.

My way of deploring: Have any of you ever been in a village without electricity where no one has ever seen a white man - woman/lady/girl/female/chick/sheila/... in Africa or Asia? No? Go there... and you'll know what it has felt like to come here as the sole Helen supporter for the last several weeks.

Free speech, being polarised, fair go... whatever happened to our tolerance? Yes, polarised.. I am even using modern, politically correct slogans here, are the opinions on the HMs and the show at large not supposed to be 'polarised' ?
There were no poles here, only a Pied Piper like attitude.

Don't take me wrong, I tend to get carried away like the next guy - sorry (girl/woman/lady/ etc)... but for the sake of those who would voice a different opinion to the one in vogue at any given time, let's have MORE THAN ONE THREAD in the forum where we will frolick, debating and arguing the BB Celebs.
A Hate and Love thread at least, so the ones who barrack for the non-favourites have at least a place to go and hide. Pretty please? :kiss:

I feel that we have been really good in this threat,nobody insulted anyone else about their favs or dislike thereof...we took it for what it was a game show.Maybe what we could do for the celeB version is have appreciation threads like we do for BBAU

Yeah I'm with Lindsay, I don't remember seeing people hating on other people because they like a controversial HM.

Oh if we are making Appreciation threads... I better get on it... Zach 100% needs a thread.

I think the reason we don't have any HM specific threads is because there really isn't enough interest for international BBs here to warrant them.

This is a tough one, because Consuela is probably right about the international BB posting community here being too small to sustain multiple threads. However, someone like Helen was such a large character that in this case an appreciation thread might have worked. Although if there isn't such a polarising character, a separate thread is probably not necessary.

I am guessing that had there been a Helen appreciation thread a few of us would have posted there from time to time. So that is probably the solution, an appreciation thread not for every HM but for a particular HM when one or more of us feels the need. What's the worst that could happen ... no one joins in.

It doesn't sound like Dystopia thought anyone was rude to her for being a Helen fan, that certainly wasn't what I was saying either, so my apologies if anyone took offense. And there was even some friendly banter about the difference of opinion, which I thought was great fun to read. The point is more about it being hard to have a gush about liking someone like Helen in the midst of all the 'Helen is vile' posts. And I'm definitely not saying people shouldn't make those criticisms either, saying your opinion is what BBB is about.

I was looking for wrap party pics (they are probably on Twitter, which I haven't checked) and found ...

Ash-bitchy-fingers-up-tweet-to-Toya.png

Big Brother 2014: Ash Harrison taunts Toya A Washington with catty comments
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/big-brother-2014-ash-harrison-4064858#ixzz3AkPlv1AN
They've only been out of the house for two minutes, but the housemates can't seem to stop trading insults with each other
Big Brother might be over - but that hasn't stopped the housemates arguing.
Now Toya Washington and Ash Harrison are in a war of words on social media.
After Toya dissed members of the house, saying they wouldn't last long as friends, Ash responded with a photo of his new BFFs.
The self-confessed party boy Tweeted the picture alongside a caption which included several emojis, including one crying with laughter, an applauding pair of hands and another that looks suspiciously like a hand sticking up two fingers.
He taunted: "watching @toya_w saying our gang will be dispersed this is big brother. Diperse this. #bbuk #100grand".
Ash can be seen in the image with Big Brother winner Helen Wood, Kimberley Kisselovich, Steven Goode and Christopher Hall, among others, all raising their glasses to the camera.
Toya has yet to respond directly, but a Tweet she posted yesterday seems to end the argument.
She wrote: "I wake up to a new day. End of an era Chapter Closed."

Big Brother FIGHT: Helen Wood Vs Denise Welch as Danielle McMahon brands Helen’s supporters “Scum!”
This year’s Big Brother may be over, but the drama isn’t, and since leaving the house a winner on Friday night, Helen Wood has taken former Celebrity Big Brother winner Denise Welch to task over branding her a “bully”.
But a more vicious row has kicked off on Twitter between loser Danielle McMahon and several of the other now former BB housemates, aside from her BFF Ashleigh Coyle.
However, the ‘model’ was inundated with hate on Twitter after she branded anyone who voted for Helen to win as “scum”.
We’ll have more on that in a moment, but first, as to Helen’s war of words with Denise, that began while Helen was still in the house, and on Twitter, an angry Denise wrote, “#bbuk Helen Wood has had 3 warnings for aggressive behaviour…
“She should not therefore be in the final. Shows nastiness being rewarded.
“FYI. My remarks about Ms Wood are actually my concerns about nastiness being seen as entertainment on TV inc some TV judges.”
She later added, “Unbelievable. What’s so upsetting is that so many want her to win!”
On her exit from the house, Helen told the Daily Star, “I shouldn’t really respond to someone like Denise…
“She’s entitled to her opinion, but I’m not a bully, I am hot headed, and there’s a big difference.
“People need to look up the definition to the word bully…”
Here’s Denise’s response…

Denise Welch @RealDeniseWelch Follow
So Helen Wood has asked me to look up the definition of bullying? Here it is :

But back now to what Danielle has had to say on Twitter, and as mentioned above, she branded Helen’s supporters “scum” and Helen herself a “vile bully.”
However, in a retweeted message on his Twitter account, Ash Harrison had this to say of Danielle, whose Twitter name is @classicfox…

helen2win @itsallaboutbb Follow
@CLASSICFOX it's ok to be a whore sweetie @Bianncajo .. @stevenjbgoode @CashHarrison @HelenWood86 @katieee_hh #bbuk

Of Helen, Danielle told her Twitter followers, “Always remember- a leopard never changes it spots: you can’t polish sh** unfortunately , mud sticks…”
Wonder if it sticks to the lenses of webcams and makes a person appear half-naked when they’ve sworn they’ve never done that? One assumes so.
Here’s a look at more of her vitriol…

Danielle McMahon @CLASSICFOX
Follow
Like what me or any of my friends have to say then unfollow! This is my twitter il say what u want and one more thing to the bell ends that

Danielle McMahon @CLASSICFOX Follow
Have accused me of being Jealousy.... Not at all I'm just appalled that it's scum like you that voted for the vile bully. Done-now do one.:)

I can not stand bullying it makes me sick and seeing the evilness that me and others have suffered today because you praise that sket is so

Now if you don't mind I'm signing off now and enjoy the rest of my life I'm fed up talking about human trash . Night all x

I was looking for wrap party pics (they are probably on Twitter, which I haven't checked) and found ...

Ash-bitchy-fingers-up-tweet-to-Toya.png

Well I see nothing changes they are still fighting,bitching and insulting each other and the public as well...good riddance to this season

I for one know that the vote can't be rigged as an independent organization oversees the voting so it's all good and legal. However everything else in this season just needs to be buried.

• THE FREE PASS.
  • The killer nom.
  • BB shit stirring by pulling HM's into the diary room asking them leading questions (see Ashleigh and her evil plan) and then exposing that to other HM's who they know will kick off.
  • Outside contact.
  • ex HM's still having a role in the season (fuck off! you were voted out for a reason).
  • BB favoring Helen giving her advantages like listening in on conversations, i think i counted at least 3 separate occasions Helen was given this opportunity.
  • HM's not being evicted by the public.
  • BBBOTS slandering HM's like the "creepy Chris" chant which was all fun and good until they realized what they were doing and immediately started back peddling.
  • BBBOTS behaviour, psyche experts trying to be more comedians than giving professional outlooks.
  • Casting yet again people with a media/entertainment background instead of the average Joe.
  • Presenters not being more forward and harder in the interviews.
  • Steven needs to fuck off for Goode! Hate that guy.

I for one know that the vote can't be rigged as an independent organization oversees the voting so it's all good and legal. However everything else in this season just needs to be buried.

• THE FREE PASS.
  • The killer nom.
  • BB shit stirring by pulling HM's into the diary room asking them leading questions (see Ashleigh and her evil plan) and then exposing that to other HM's who they know will kick off.
  • Outside contact.
  • ex HM's still having a role in the season (fuck off! you were voted out for a reason).
  • BB favoring Helen giving her advantages like listening in on conversations, i think i counted at least 3 separate occasions Helen was given this opportunity.
  • HM's not being evicted by the public.
  • BBBOTS slandering HM's like the "creepy Chris" chant which was all fun and good until they realized what they were doing and immediately started back peddling.
  • BBBOTS behaviour, psyche experts trying to be more comedians than giving professional outlooks.
  • Casting yet again people with a media/entertainment background instead of the average Joe.
  • Presenters not being more forward and harder in the interviews.
  • Steven needs to fuck off for Goode! Hate that guy.
...^^^^^ I so agree with 100% of what you said right here Longbow!... well summed up and so accurate... great post... cheers.

...I so went off Leslie today where he was slagging off about Gary to the other housemates so as to make himself more 'in' with the other housemates... I'm really disappointed in Leslie... he's no better that some of the housemates in the recent series... I do see that James is very aware of how he talks to Gary... credit to him for that but even he slips in a dig at Gary too... but the nasty way that Leslie did it was just wrong though in my opinion...

...I loved watching Gary doing that toothpaste Ad again... what a trooper!... wasabe... Jellied eels... hot curry... he treked through it with great spirit regardless... and yet he lost!... (most likely because Leslie doesn't like him full stop... Gary's competition to win it perhaps?... methinks so!)...

...it hasn't taken long for Leslie to lose that 'cute and cuddly' shine hasn't it?... telling Frenchy to 'shut her mouth' was just soooo wrong!... what a bullying little turd he is!... and saying every few minutes about housemates that shit him off... 'they've gotta go!'...

...I don't think that he will be in the house too long with such prima donna behaviour... a drama queen from Hollywood shoving himself around will never be taken seriously by either the housemates or the public... what a silly little man!... I so liked him too to start with...

...even on BOTS Emma and the audience and panelists didn't like Leslie's actions either... at least Gary got a good wrap by them taking into consideration Gary's hearing impediment with his lack of communication skills with the housemates... (although to be honest... Gary's abrupt manner of talking to people sometimes leaves a bit to be desired)...

...Frenchy is so eager to please people so much so that she's allowing Leslie to dictate to her when she can and cannot do her facial rituals!... he is already controlling her... he is a pint sized ego maniacal control freak in my opinion... (sorry... I'm really disliking him so much now)...

...Diane Youdale... (Sticky's heart skips a beat)... had some interesting things to say as usual... her glowing appraisal of Gary's toothpaste task was good to hear...

...George reminds me of so many different mates that I've had in my life so I'm beginning to associate with him more and more as I see him...I really liked the panelists on BOTS tonight...

...Leslie treating Gary Busey the way he did at the end of BOTS was bloody totally disgusting!... to talk to ANYONE that way is demeaning and foul!... get that horrid little hobbit out of the house peoples!... how dare he talk to a fellow human being like that!... I think that the UK public will turn on him really quickly... it wouldn't surprise me if Leslie is out first next week... good riddance to bad rubbish if he goes in my eyes!...

...so now... the new update on who I'm happy to win?... either Gary/Dee/Kellie or George to win now!!!!!... cheers.

...I so went off Leslie today where he was slagging off about Gary to the other housemates so as to make himself more 'in' with the other housemates... I'm really disappointed in Leslie... he's no better that some of the housemates in the recent series... I do see that James is very aware of how he talks to Gary... credit to him for that but even he slips in a dig at Gary too... but the nasty way that Leslie did it was just wrong though in my opinion...

...I loved watching Gary doing that toothpaste Ad again... what a trooper!... wasabe... Jellied eels... hot curry... he treked through it with great spirit regardless... and yet he lost!... (most likely because Leslie doesn't like him full stop... Gary's competition to win it perhaps?... methinks so!)...

...it hasn't taken long for Leslie to lose that 'cute and cuddly' shine hasn't it?... telling Frenchy to 'shut her mouth' was just soooo wrong!... what a bullying little turd he is!... and saying every few minutes about housemates that shit him off... 'they've gotta go!'...

...I don't think that he will be in the house too long with such prima donna behaviour... a drama queen from Hollywood shoving himself around will never be taken seriously by either the housemates or the public... what a silly little man!... I so liked him too to start with...

...even on BOTS Emma and the audience and panelists didn't like Leslie's actions either... at least Gary got a good wrap by them taking into consideration Gary's hearing impediment with his lack of communication skills with the housemates... (although to be honest... Gary's abrupt manner of talking to people sometimes leaves a bit to be desired)...

...Frenchy is so eager to please people so much so that she's allowing Leslie to dictate to her when she can and cannot do her facial rituals!... he is already controlling her... he is a pint sized ego maniacal control freak in my opinion... (sorry... I'm really disliking him so much now)...

...Diane Youdale... (Sticky's heart skips a beat)... had some interesting things to say as usual... her glowing appraisal of Gary's toothpaste task was good to hear...

...George reminds me of so many different mates that I've had in my life so I'm beginning to associate with him more and more as I see him...I really liked the panelists on BOTS tonight...

...Leslie treating Gary Busey the way he did at the end of BOTS was bloody totally disgusting!... to talk to ANYONE that way is demeaning and foul!... get that horrid little hobbit out of the house peoples!... how dare he talk to a fellow human being like that!... I think that the UK public will turn on him really quickly... it wouldn't surprise me if Leslie is out first next week... good riddance to bad rubbish if he goes in my eyes!...

...so now... the new update on who I'm happy to win?... either Gary/Dee/Kellie or George to win now!!!!!... cheers.

Havent watched it yet but you know Mr Sticky....both our rants are in the wrong threads LOL...we are in the dreaded thread where THAT woman won BBUK just last week...oh wait mine is in the celebrity big brother thread..probably my longest post Ever

Back