Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

I remember I was meant to work the night of the finale but I knew it was probably the last time I would get the sheer joy of the live thread so like a loser I declined.

And no as if Ryan was hot. The best I can give him is “not ugly by any means”. I remember people likening him to a young Leo, no way.

Good for you I guess.

Here is the daily thread for the 2014 finale, if anyone's interested. Post #2 lol.

Also 157 pages in that thread. Those were the days.
So I was wondering what my thoughts were about that finale and I didn't post once in that entire thread. I was probably doing my live stream thing and chatting in the PRISUS fan club FB group chat. Maybe I need to go to the Prisus eviction ep thread.

I was interested to see [Priya] on social media as I haven't followed her for a very long time and to find out that she has divorced her husband and is living a different life now.
I looked that up. I liked Bhushan, he was cute.

There's a good article here about what happened.

The TLDR version is that Priya prefers living in India (and probably has more opportunities there, let's face it) while Bhushan is an Australian citizen and wanted to stay put. They were apart 2016-2018 while she was working in India, and eventually they mutually agreed to disband. She befriended and later married one of her neighbours.

priya_malik.jpg
WhatsApp-Image-2020-10-30-at-16.50.07.jpeg

^^ Out with Bhushan and in with Karan.

I’ve taken a month and a half to watch BB05 and I’m literally on Day 61. My general opinion of Glenn decreased each week with his eviction and nom interviews really displaying body language and attitudes of being very insecure. It came across he knew what he did was wrong, but couldn’t face the consequences. There was a lot of issues regarding whether his eviction show should’ve just been a celebration of the housemate. I don’t believe Gretel was being overbearing about the way he treated and looked at women. Especially in regards to Michelle, Kate & Geneva. I believe if you choose to put yourself in Big Brother and you choose to make some dick moves. Then, yeah you probably should be pulled up on it.

Hotdogs is a name that’s been thrown around when I grew up. Now watching, I’m just like… there’s not much that entirely memorable about him. There are times when he can be likeable, but more often than not I’ve found him to be quite sleazy and when drunk completely horrid. His storylines have basically come from Geneva and then Vesna.

Lastly so far, the reverse kanga prank. This whole situation screams not even high school behaviour, but actually primary school. The whole point was to spread as much shit as possible. It’s just unhygienic and tremendously gross. It was built off of peer pressure and Tim had every right to feel the way he did. The way Tim had explained it and in retrospect intellectually roasted Dean, he’s right. It isn’t an isolated incident. There’s been a history with Dean being top dog and running the boys with intimidation. David and Hotdogs are perfect examples.

In conclusion, I am very much enjoying this series. The intruders have been the greatest addition so far and the dynamics are immaculate.

Hotdogs is a name that’s been thrown around when I grew up. Now watching, I’m just like… there’s not much that entirely memorable about him. There are times when he can be likeable, but more often than not I’ve found him to be quite sleazy and when drunk completely horrid. His storylines have basically come from Geneva and then Vesna.

Can you see any signs as to why he got his own TV show?

Someone has to stand up for the pretty boys and whilst it's true Ryan was invisible for much of the season from what I recall he had a really dry sense of humour and a good read of the house which perhaps were both factors in him winning out over Travis, who really probably should have lapped up the pretty boy vote given he got so much more airtime. Think in this case pretty and smart outplayed pretty and dumb.

And was he invisible for the first few weeks because the producers edited him out or was he actually smart enough to make himself invisible to avoid the threat of eviction in the early weeks. I assume he wasn't nominated.

One question for you though Zcsund - did you find both housemates and perhaps moments too more memorable from the earlier seasons. I certainly find it easier to name all the housemates from the early seasons of BBUK than the later ones (on C4 at least, I don't count C5!) And with BB Aus I certainly have far more memories of probably BB3-BB7 than anything that has followed.
You're probably right on Ryan. I didn't really go into depth when I wrote about him and Travis because I just don't care enough to write more than I did lol. I think your points are accurate, and could tie into why I also think he is one of the most consistent BBAU players to date. And that extends further beyond his archetype. I just don't care about the season to write more lol.

100% the earlier seasons are way more memorable in terms of legendary housemates and moments. I find the same for Survivor as well. If I was to sit down and cast an all stars dream cast, I'd be doing a lot of cutting from the earlier seasons just to make room. I have the same mindset with Survivor, I tend to like the older seasons and players way better than the modern ones.

I thought he was very ordinary. He had the personality of a pebble and he did that pathetic frozen chicken thing at least twice. And then won. Bizarre.
I have to agree. He’s very mediocre. He did show some sort of strategy, but really when I think of Ryan. This is about it. Plus that time where he was extremely condescending to Skye.

I thought he was very ordinary. He had the personality of a pebble and he did that pathetic frozen chicken thing at least twice. And then won. Bizarre.
Blonde surfer boy look wins me over any time. If Bailey Smith were on a reality Tv show, I think I'd faint.

I have to agree. He’s very mediocre. He did show some sort of strategy, but really when I think of Ryan. This is about it. Plus that time where he was extremely condescending to Skye.
I was definitely team Ryan in that argument, Skye was making no sense in the conversation; then just randomly started having a go at Sandra

I was definitely team Ryan in that argument, Skye was making no sense in the conversation; then just randomly started having a go at Sandra
Personally I was team Skye. She felt condescended but she (admittingly so) couldn't articulate herself well enough to fully explain how she felt. Ryan tended to constantly make her feel like she was the issue. It didn't help that everyone around was listening in and were also friends of Ryan. Sandra also seemed to just dislike Skye and went against her in arguments for the sake of it.

I don't recall this argument, can you remember what day/episode this happened in?
Can't remember specifically no sorry. I would have shared it but I just wanted to power through the rewatch. It was a lot shorter than I remembered. It was around the time Marina came in I think? I forgot what the argument was about it. I just remember her getting angry at Lawson and calling him a weak human.

Very ordinary. But to look at, when you're 14 and going through puberty you don't recall GAF about how boring a hottie is.

Personally I was team Skye. She felt condescended but she (admittingly so) couldn't articulate herself well enough to fully explain how she felt. Ryan tended to constantly make her feel like she was the issue. It didn't help that everyone around was listening in and were also friends of Ryan. Sandra also seemed to just dislike Skye and went against her in arguments for the sake of it.
I can get that, I feel like that was a recurring thing with Skye, although I have not watched the season since 2014. Jason and Lisa were present in that argument and would they be considered to be more on Skye's side then Ryan's?

I can get that, I feel like that was a recurring thing with Skye, although I have not watched the season since 2014. Jason and Lisa were present in that argument and would they be considered to be more on Skye's side then Ryan's?
Don't even remember tbh. I just felt like he spoke to her like she was a child. I got the vibe that he viewed her as inferior to him. When she apologised to him you could tell her was super happy about it but downplayed it. I liked her a lot, to me she was judged but a lot of the other housemates and she knew it was going to happen as well.

Back