Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Don't even remember tbh. I just felt like he spoke to her like she was a child. I got the vibe that he viewed her as inferior to him. When she apologised to him you could tell her was super happy about it but downplayed it. I liked her a lot, to me she was judged but a lot of the other housemates and she knew it was going to happen as well.
I think that was her gameplay tbh, like she would seem a dumb ditzy bimbo in the house and then really be strategic and play the game, I remember some of the housemates picked up on it when her nominations were shown to the house.

I think that was her gameplay tbh, like she would seem a dumb ditzy bimbo in the house and then really be strategic and play the game, I remember some of the housemates picked up on it when her nominations were shown to the house.
I agree to a point. I think she knew she would easily win support from the voting public. She probably did play up on how often everyone condescended her, but I think the aggression towards her was real and her feelings were real, despite being slightly exaggerated.

So there we go I am finished with my rewatch of the entire original Australian version of Big Brother. In retrospect, this wasn't really necessary to do before going into the 2022 season, as the announcement at the time made it seem like there would be more returnees than there actually are. But, I still enjoyed rewatching the episodes and reliving many loved memories from years past. The thing I enjoyed the most was watching the series at the same age as many of the housemates I have grown up watching. Watching people like Sara-Marie at 21 is completely different from watching her at 13. I understood more of the conversations and specifics and developed a more complex understanding of the characters and their emotions. Also having more of an understanding and broader exposure to reality TV since then has made me enjoy analysing the series this time rather than just watching for entertainment. It was fun to critique the show when I have zero experience or accreditation to rightfully be able to. But is there anyone who watches reality TV who doesn't always look toward the negative?

I have forever loved Big Brother. It has been ingrained in my mind from a very young age that the show was a big deal. My earliest vivid memory is walking through the doors to the house in Dreamworld in 2004 when I was barely even in kindergarten. The innocence of my pre-schooler mind was mesmerised by how a house was in a theme park and people were coming to tour it. To me, it was a huge deal even if at the end of the day it was just a TV set. Before I became old enough to watch the show, I had always understood that the premise of it was that people lived in a house with cameras. As a four-year-old, I was puzzled at the idea of my mother enjoying watching people live in a house. But to me, it didn't matter, Big Brother was something that I had perceived to symbolise the early 2000s.

Around me constantly were people watching Big Brother. Grandparents, aunties & uncles, cousins, friends. Almost everybody around me was a fan of the show so I have never known any different other than the show being popular. My mother however is the one specific person that heavily contributes to the love I have for the show. She loved it, so love it. From almost twenty years ago to this current day she is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Big Brother. She lived and breathed the show just as I do now. Whether it was watching the daily shows, uplate, live feeds, browsing the website or just general discussion, she fanned out about the show just as I do now. As I have mentioned, I was diagnosed with ASD quite young. She is the sole reason I have social skills today. No other reason but her. Had it not been for her I wouldn't be able to go out into crowds of people, walk into a night club or create and maintain the relationships I have today. So for that reason, I have developed a heavily emotional attachment to the show.

A show that also focuses on the social side of human society. I have watched many people enter that house and I have longed to know if the skills I've been lucky enough to learn would assist in any success. Not to win money or fame, but more as a test of my social skills that I'd like to think are above average for someone in my situation. I have always thought highly of those who braved this experience and I've been jealous of the confidence it takes to do it. The social aspects of life intrigue me more than anything else and the show focuses on that so heavily I can't help but maintain interest. I may have been critical of a lot of housemates who were on this show, but I have respect, and envy and am nothing short of impressed by anyone who could handle the environment. The housemates may be everyday Australians, but that to me is why I am so infatuated with them. They were/are regular everyday people who simply put themselves on display to either be celebrated or ridiculed. I don't have much interest in mainstream celebrities or pop culture, so seeing regular people from the same walks of life that I come from is something I am more interested in.

For all those reasons mentioned my love of the show will most likely never die. As stained and tainted the general perception of the show has become, my initial exposure to the show will always reign supreme. Even if the show continues to nose dive into complete self-destruction, I will still never let go of how I feel about the show itself. It may sound silly to others but to me, it's something that I don't even think I can fully explain even to myself. Watching the show again has also reminded me that I really couldn't care less if the show doesn't work like it used to or what is better in terms of cost or ratings. I am not welcome to change and would rather leave the show to be a happy memory rather than watch something that symbolises my childhood become unwatchable.

Sorry for the autobiography but I think that sums up what I wanted to say. I am excited to watch BBAU 2022 for the simple purpose of getting to relive so many memories again. I have enjoyed the rewatch and having so many people join in and discuss it with me. I hope this thread continues for many others to share their thoughts on past series. I hope others enjoyed this just as much as I did.

I feel like Jake got a bit of the Authenticity side eye too, with his glasses turning out to being pretty much a fashion accessory weren't they?. I'm not sure exactly what year it was, but iirc it was around the 2011-2014 area that there was a bit of an expose about Beauty and the Geek where it came out some of the geeks weren't that overly stereotypically 'nerdy' in real life (and had girlfriends and such), but were kinda forced due to the nature of the show to exaggerate and play it up to have a more convincing 'makeover' or journey for the show.

Im thinking from stories like that General public learned to kinda second guess some of these characters in RTV.

So by now I’ve already mentioned a couple of times about my audition for BB14 but (mostly) bit my tongue on the actual process of it for fear of violating some sort of NDA (a fear I don’t have as much now seeing how much time has passed and how much the application/casting process and team have changed).

I managed to make it to the callbacks in Melbourne (so roughly top 150 for the year) which I’m guessing would’ve included Canberra callbacks as well, seeing as Jason was in attendance at mine. Needless to say I didn’t make it through. I think looking back I definitely would’ve come to regret being cast. I was so young at the time (under 21) and as insightful and articulate as I thought I was then, I had a lot of growing still to do as a person.

Enough about the reject, though - here are my thoughts on who I remember meeting:

Sam: He wasn’t as quiet and under-edited as I recall. It was said that he (like many others) was very crass in the house and spoke a lot about stuff that wasn’t suitable to air on television. This says a lot about how a watered-down version of Big Brother doesn’t work at all. The fake shark attack story does make me laugh, I remember watching it and thinking this guy has a pretty advanced sense of humour. This time I saw a bit of an aggressive side to him as well that I didn’t pick up on the first time. His relationship with Sandra had some intrigue, but more from her end than his.

Jason: I liked him. He had a lot of fun moments despite not being shown a lot in the edit and I was sad to see him go early. His only major part in the storyline was being a floater in-between groups and seeking information from everyone. His story about coming out was a sad one as well that was one of the few real human moments in the season.
Sam
Spoke very briefly to him. Seemed alright, but was very quiet and almost seemed disinterested in the casting process. I think he was hiding that he was an amputee because he was pretty much a sure-fire pick to go in with his life story and the producers had said at the start of the day “some of you have things that we’ve asked you not to mention - remember that”. Didn’t really like what I saw from him in the house, though. Seemed to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder at times. Might’ve been the stress of the housemates he was with, though, because I probably would’ve been the same.

Jason
I remember having this guy pegged as a housemate from the moment I met him - potentially even a finalist. Expected wayyyy more from him as a result that just never came.
I’m trying to cast my mind back around eight years now, but I feel like he was more subdued at the audition day and might’ve played up a character at times to try to gain popularity. Ironically I feel like he would’ve fared better if he didn’t.

Cat: Here is the thing with Cat, in the beginning, both times I have watched this season now I really liked her. She was a normal everyday person who was very relatable and easy to root for. She was level-headed, easy-going and just decently likeable. I was super happy to see her voted the most saved the first time she faced eviction as an individual. I was happy to see that the voting audience wanted to reward an everyday person. I liked that she wanted to hang out with the younger crowd, and I felt she was one of the more complex personalities amongst the cast.
Cat
Everyone had a great first impression of her. She didn’t really stand out too much, but she seemed nice enough and I remember thinking she was super attractive lol.
Pretty much what you saw was what you got with Cat. Definitely intelligent both in terms of intellect and emotional intelligence. Just think she got a bit lovestruck and that tainted whatever shot she would’ve had at winning.

Penny: She's probably one of the better casting choices from this series and should have been there from the beginning. She wasn't shown as much as I had hoped her to be (as I skipped the daily shows at the time, so I didn't get to see a lot of her) but from what I did watch I did enjoy her. she was funny, she was entertaining, she was unique, and she stuck out even amongst the original housemates. She's a lot more memorable than more than half the cost which wasn't really hard to do but anyway she is still an amazing housemate. Had she been there from the beginning I would have been willing to root for her to win in all honesty. I just wish there was more time for me to get to know her because she was very likeable. I remember meeting her when I worked at McDonald's a couple of years ago and she was extremely nice in real life, so I gave her a free coffee LOL.
Penny
One of the first things Penny said to me was that she didn’t think she’d get along with me because she “wasn’t smart enough” to get me. She was nice and really bubbly, but I was never really sure if it was legit or an act (there were a lot of people playing up their personality a bit on the day to be the centre of attention). Maybe that’s just her personality.
Inoffensive enough, though. It would’ve been really interesting to see how she would’ve fared if she went in day one. Might’ve outshined Skye and taken her place in the final 3.

Travis: I used to love him back in the day but this time I actually understood why everyone thought he was a tool. He was one of those douche footy guys who always had to have his voice heard and couldn't articulate an argument well enough despite the fact that he thought he could. He was loud and obnoxious, and I struggled to warm to him in the early days of the show.
(...)
He was obviously really hard to live with hence why he was nominated so many times, but I suppose on the outside world he'd be really fun to hang out with (in very small doses) and he did make for good TV numerous times. I did like that he didn't just stick to the boys and form a boy’s group, he instead hung out with Skye and the other females and had fun throughout his stay in the house. But being from the same area as him and knowing very well what sort of person he would be like; I couldn't find myself wanting him to win.
Travis
Oh boy, where do I start with this guy? Ever had a group task at work/uni where one person shuts out everyone else’s opinion and will talk over the top of you to make sure you know its their way or no way, despite having several people in the room who had clearly higher EQ and IQ? That’s Travis. Very grating personality. Loud, obnoxious, dense. Oh, and I'm surprised David caught flack for being sexist when Travis was around. This is a guy who openly bragged about rawdogging girls but said he’d never take responsibility for a kid if he got a girl pregnant like the world needed more absent fathers. At the end of the day while there were about 6 of us in the lift together he suggested grabbing beers. Would it surprise you to hear nobody took him up on that offer?

Imagine my surprise when this guy was the most saved in most of the weeks he was up, let alone making the final 2. His inclusion in the cast was enough for me to be happy that I didn’t make the cut, but the outcome of the season showed me as well that I just was not the archetype to do well on Big Brother, and would likely be either an early evictee, or kept around while I slowly lost my mind having to live in close confines with people like Travis.

Travis
Oh boy, where do I start with this guy? Ever had a group task at work/uni where one person shuts out everyone else’s opinion and will talk over the top of you to make sure you know its their way or no way, despite having several people in the room who had clearly higher EQ and IQ?
oh yes.... This sentence here ever so accurately describes the manager I had in my last job. :bang:

Travis
Oh boy, where do I start with this guy? Ever had a group task at work/uni where one person shuts out everyone else’s opinion and will talk over the top of you to make sure you know its their way or no way, despite having several people in the room who had clearly higher EQ and IQ? That’s Travis. Very grating personality. Loud, obnoxious, dense. Oh, and I'm surprised David caught flack for being sexist when Travis was around. This is a guy who openly bragged about rawdogging girls but said he’d never take responsibility for a kid if he got a girl pregnant like the world needed more absent fathers. At the end of the day while there were about 6 of us in the lift together he suggested grabbing beers. Would it surprise you to hear nobody took him up on that offer?

Imagine my surprise when this guy was the most saved in most of the weeks he was up, let alone making the final 2. His inclusion in the cast was enough for me to be happy that I didn’t make the cut, but the outcome of the season showed me as well that I just was not the archetype to do well on Big Brother, and would likely be either an early evictee, or kept around while I slowly lost my mind having to live in close confines with people like Travis.
You couldn’t have described him more accurately, in my opinion, and I’m glad my own assumptions were not far from the truth. These traits shone through the screen at the time and I’m surprised to hear there are people who couldn’t see this. Yet, unfortunately, he still became some sort of hero just because of his looks. That’s the problem with Australian reality TV and its viewers, we far too often easily forgive a person’s bad behaviour and opt to praise them, so long as they are attractive.

I very clearly recall his ego at every eviction that he was nominated for - especially after he was saved in the fake eviction - and even at the finale, whenever he’d get cheers… the guy thought he had the win in the bag. I’m only glad Ryan won solely because I couldn’t have stood to see Travis’ satisfaction thinking he was king of Australia. (Then again, not that Ryan’s victory was much better.)

An awful HM that represented his archetype of Melbournite to a tee. All about themselves.

Not gonna lie. After spending so long watching Big Brother I am kinda lost. I have a day off work and out of habit I got some food and turned on my TV even though I have nothing to watch. I forgot there was a world out there, I feel like I’m coming out of lockdown again.

Not gonna lie. After spending so long watching Big Brother I am kinda lost. I have a day off work and out of habit I got some food and turned on my TV even though I have nothing to watch. I forgot there was a world out there, I feel like I’m coming out of lockdown again.
I get it. Whenever I rewatch any TV series, I actually feel a sense of loss after I finish it.

Still slogging thru 2007 series.
Random Observation.
Joel isnt very funny.
What is funny was his dreams to make it big as an actor/performer.
To current date, he has achieved this on par with his talent.
Ive seen him appear on an ashleys and martin hair loss ad. So kudos to him for achieving the dream.
In a convo with the current ep im up to...... he was asked by michelle one of the intruders if he was a hell raiser and liked to live in the fast lane.
His response? Oh yeah. I do crazy stuff. Sometimes I dress up like a priest. Sometimes I go to the movies by myself.
Whoah. Thats heavy fast life risk taking living.:p
Just one of those one note dumbo funny guys with one string to his instrument. Funny voices.
But hope the hair is thriving like a wild weed patch mate.

Some live stream highlights from BB07

(@Converse I could not find the actual argument between Bodie and Hayley, but here is the fallout from it. Hopefully that is what you were looking for.)

Cheers and thanks for all the help mate! If you ever find this clip somewhere in the future please post the link on these forums it would be great!

Here is a clip of some of this argument on youtube but it's only a shortened repeated remix version of the original. Sadly this is all I have found of this argument on the web.

Thanks again for all the help with this @BigBrothersCousin it's great! :)

Cheers and thanks for all the help mate! If you ever find this clip somewhere in the future please post the link on these forums it would be great!

Here is a clip of some of this argument on youtube but it's only a shortened repeated remix version of the original. Sadly this is all I have found of this argument on the web.

Thanks again for all the help with this @BigBrothersCousin it's great! :)
Oh, different argument. I can double check but I don't think I have stream footage from the fight on day 21.

I checked again and don't have it. The episode is on YouTube, but it would be cool to see the unedited fight.

Cheers for that mate! Yep that was pretty much the fight as I remember it I guess some of it was edited out as we can compare it with the other clip on youtube. I wonder if maybe the whole unedited video of this fight was shown on the uplate show with Mike Goldman back then? Anyway just watching that clip again takes me straight back to 2007 and the good old days of BB on channel 10! Cheers! :)

Joel isnt very funny.
What is funny was his dreams to make it big as an actor/performer.
To current date, he has achieved this on par with his talent.
Ive seen him appear on an ashleys and martin hair loss ad. So kudos to him for achieving the dream.
To be fair he did go international with that as it turned up in the UK.

Back