Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Stay steady around 450k

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Average in the lower 400 thousands

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Get this show cancelled

Votes: 22 40.7%

• Total voters
Ninja Warrior was massive just a couple of years ago. Everyone really has tuned out of free to air tv. I had no idea it was even back so channel 9 marketing outside of their own channel (which I’ve just now realised I don’t watch at all) might not be as effective as it used to b
Ouch, BB was only 1k higher than Wimbledon which aired from 9:30 to midnight on 9. Also Ninja Warrior flopping big time like I predicted.

The Cheap Seats also outrated both BB and Ninja Warrior in all key demos.
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Take a look at this from just 5 years ago.

Interestingly, MasterChef rated 625k that night, and was a distant 3rd in the reality TV battle.

It’s amazing how fast FTA TV viewing has declined.

Interestingly, MasterChef rated 625k that night, and was a distant 3rd in the reality TV battle.

Yeah it is fascinating. Covid actually kept it on life support for a couple of years.

Looking at the poll now it's amazing how even when we thought we were being pessimistic we were being overly optimistic by a good 100k.

Thanks for this! It’s very interesting and the FTA channels must be shitting themselves.

I’m pretty sure Master Chef was back up over a million during the All Stars season a couple of years ago too! Could have been the covid effect.

Even when the five capital city overnights dropped under 1m it was considered terrible. Now BB scores an average 800k from the capitals plus regionals plus a week's worth of catch up views.

If you go back to 2014, it wasn’t unusual for MKR to be drawing over 2million overnight viewers at 7.30pm, while The Block on Channel Nine was drawing over 1million in the same timeslot. So Channel Seven and Nine would regularly have over 3 million viewers between them at 7.30pm.

Example

Last night, the combined audience for BB on Seven and Ninja on Nine was 786k.

Thanks for this! It’s very interesting and the FTA channels must be shitting themselves.

I’m pretty sure Master Chef was back up over a million during the All Stars season a couple of years ago too! Could have been the covid effect.

Yep, Masterchef had a 1.2 million average for the All Stars season.

And whilst there have been ratings collapses in the US and UK as streaming took off I really think of the three the Aussie networks largely have themselves to blame by just sticking to the same strategy of reality franchises.

And whilst there have been ratings collapses in the US and UK as streaming took off I really think of the three the Aussie networks largely have themselves to blame by just sticking to the same strategy of reality franchises.
I agree. They have basically sacrificed the post-8.30pm programming in favour of the 7.30 reality TV shows. 10 years ago, the reality shows would start at 7.30 and run for an hour. Dramas and other shows would start at 8.30 and would attract huge ratings. Shows like Packed to the Rafters and Offspring were hugely popular then. Then the networks decided to extent the reality shows to 8.40, and then it became 9pm, which usually runs overtime by anywhere from 5-20 minutes. This meant the dramas and other shows had to be pushed back in the schedule, and their ratings suffered because of it.

Shows like Big Brother run for nearly 2 hours, and Ninja Warrior goes for even longer, and so whatever airs after them doesn’t start until after 9pm and gets dismal ratings. Interestingly, MasterChef on Ten only runs until 8.40 most nights, and so later shows like HYBPA?, The Cheap Seats, Gogglebox etc usually start at 8.40 or close to it. And guess what happens? Those Ten shows attract healthy ratings and are much more widely watched than the post-9pm shows on Seven and Nine.

And because Seven and Nine can’t attract high ratings to their post-9pm shows, they are reliant on the 6pm news and the 7.30 reality shows to prop up their viewership. This may have been fine when the realities were dominating the ratings, but that can’t last forever. Now the audience seems to getting bored of reality tentpoles, and previously popular shows are sinking. But all three commercial networks have been reliant on the big realities for so long that they don’t have an alternative when those shows fail.

It's not the spiders that put me off moving to Aus but my knowledge of how poor the TV actually is. That is certainly a British win on Wanted Down Under.

It's not the spiders that put me off moving to Aus but my knowledge of how poor the TV actually is. That is certainly a British win on Wanted Down Under.
Well the poor TV thing is something that actually exists for most people, so it’s a more rationale fear to have.

If you go back to 2014, it wasn’t unusual for MKR to be drawing over 2million overnight viewers at 7.30pm, while The Block on Channel Nine was drawing over 1million in the same timeslot. So Channel Seven and Nine would regularly have over 3 million viewers between them at 7.30pm.

Example

Last night, the combined audience for BB on Seven and Ninja on Nine was 786k.

I think 2014 was the last MKR season I seriously followed through keeping up to date with throughout the season. I recall one of our Uni Lecturers/Tute teachers would casually be chatting about it before the Tute/Lecture with some of the class.

The at home restaurants part had the obnoxious 'Captain' and his much younger GF or wife or whatever, then they had those 2 friends or sisters that were given the 'Nasty/Bitchy' edit and were telling all the media how badly they were portrayed afterward (it was when I think I started noticing more of these articles coming out about reality TV and some contestants feeling they got a rough edit to what they are actually like in real life), and I remember that Bree and Jesssayyyy from SA.

Last edited:
Props to the show for holding their audience though. Yes, they're shit, but they didn't dip below 300k like I thought it would.

This show seems like it's been made with a very low budget so I can definitely see a renewal, but they will need to do another all stars season.

Props to the show for holding their audience though. Yes, they're shit, but they didn't dip below 300k like I thought it would.
Apart from the times that they did.

What is telling now (across all the reality franchises really) is they won't get a bounce for the finale. Partly because the channels line up their launches and finales to air the same day now, but mainly because the show just doesn't have the reach it once did - so the few hundred thousand watching each night are largely the same people rather than it having a core fanbase and then attracting a more casual audience dipping in and out of the season - not caring enough to watch nightly but caring enough to see who wins.

Cheap Seats on Ten made the top 10 of all the key demo groups beating all of 7's schedule and all of 9's non news content. Pretty embarrassing for 7 and 9.

Very! If ever there was a show produced on a shoestring budget it’s that one.

Back