Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2022 - Episode 20 Discussion (20 June, 7:30pm)

In another pre-recorded series, how should housemates be nominated?

• Winner of a challenge nominates

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • The whole house nominates after strategising

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • The whole house nominates with nominations kept secret

Votes: 47 78.3%

• Total voters
No the OGs talked constantly about their seasons. And for everyone,I know you may not like it, but Johnson does love big brother haha. Hes watched every episode and knows everyone and blah blah blah.
One thing I've been wondering, Tim has mentioned on Twitter that while in the house he seriously downplayed his time on Big Brother Canada so that it didn't sound like he would be much of a threat in this current version of Big Brother having already played in a competitive format before. Did BBCAN get brought up much at all by Tim/anyone else and what was the story that he told people about it? Surely a superfan like Johnson would've been able to see right through the story since at the time it was pretty big news to BB fans that Tim went over there...

Last edited:
hahaha. Jesus Christ you just don’t like me hey?! Feels like Twitter. I’m guessing you’re someone who doesn’t think the show is over-edited, and that everything you’re seeing is completely reasonable and makes sense.

it’s funny because a lot of the OGs didn’t like the new format and didn’t understand it, other than tim of course. And so they didn’t go in with an attitude that it’s a game. So there was A LOT of pushback on people who played the game, and a lot of it was taken very personally. it was weird having us newbies idolise these people but also be confused as to why they were there if they don’t like the format so much?
I must admit I myself are from the old format of BB and used to mostly believing what I see to be more true than not - but with this new format I must admit I have been a bit harsh in my comments towards HM's lately.. Even though consciously knowing the edit is extremely biased, I still tend to make judgements on what I have seen.. So apologies for some of my comments - I should start them off with a disclaimer, "These comments are due to BB's new heavily edited and biased format, my comments are targeted to promote discussion about whatever happened" :biggrin:

interesting take but I would say definitely a bit shortsighted. If I would have explained what my move was in the eviction room, it would have outed my entire game in a VERY bad way. At nearly no point in that edit did they show the layers upon layers of strategy we were all talking about behind the scenes, and to be honest I actually did a really really good job in keeping myself looking like I was after Tully, who was obviously going to go at this point. But because they don’t show the subtleties, it just looks like I’m going after Tully for not giving me one HoH vote, which you believe hook, line and sinker! No probs though, I mean it’s pretty easy to find the truth in the end because Estelle and Gabbie and Jaycee were all privy to what I was doing. Maybe one day they’ll come forward hehe
Players with strategies that have layers and layers and aren't simple tend to struggle to shine over someone who's gameplay is straight to the point and easy to comprehend. It's harder to edit.

Well according to Estelle, you guys cant speak outside of the edit - which is shocking. Even by saying what you just said could be against your contract or NDA (non-disclosure agreement), which is ludicrous I believe. You should at the very least be able to discuss what happened in the house but outside of the edit to clarify misconceptions... so I doubt if we will ever know & I wouldn't blame anyone for not speaking up either..

I don't believe what BB shows us hook, line & sinker - because we all know in here that BB is heavily edited and leans toward the perception that they want us to believe...
I think you will find a lot of us in here tend to say what we want, when we want as it opens up the discussion so that many others (you guys included now as more of you have joined this forum) can discuss our perceptions of what happened and we may get somewhere near the truth..
We love to discuss and dissect what may or may not have happened.. The more people that join in the more options we have to explore what actually happened...

Oh what a shame this new BB format is pre-recorded, bring back the good ol' days when you could watch it live streaming and the truth wasn't so distorted :)
Love love love this thing. Totally into dissecting and discussing. It’s not always comfortable, but it’s important, and where the good shit comes from!

One thing I've been wondering, Tim has mentioned on Twitter that while in the house he seriously downplayed his time on Big Brother Canada so that it didn't sound like he would be much of a threat in this current version of Big Brother having already played in a competitive format before. Did BBCAN get brought up much at all by Tim/anyone else and what was the story that people about it? Surely a superfan like Johnson would've been able to see right through the story since at the time it was pretty big news to BB fans that Tim went over there...
Nah he talked about it heaps and we all knew he was INCREDIBLE at it haha. And he was. He’s very good at placing himself in the maelstrom of confusion that the game provides. Like, you don’t actually always know who’s working with whom and to what degree. Tim is very good at using that to his advantage. Cuz if you don’t know who he is working with, then you don’t know if you can get him out if you put him up. Anyone that can do this is good at the game, and it’s a plus of being a middle player.

I must admit I myself are from the old format of BB and used to mostly believing what I see to be more true than not - but with this new format I must admit I have been a bit harsh in my comments towards HM's lately.. Even though consciously knowing the edit is extremely biased, I still tend to make judgements on what I have seen.. So apologies for some of my comments - I should start them off with a disclaimer, "These comments are due to BB's new heavily edited and biased format, my comments are targeted to promote discussion about whatever happened" :biggrin:
Aw thanks Thing. Sorry if I’m being too harsh as well. I know it’s hard for you all too because like, you don’t actually know me and I could absolutely just be lying and misleading and yeah maybe I was then an arsehole to Tully and this whole “not going for Tully thing” is a ploy and actually I’m just a sad little dumb dumb who can’t be honest with themselves and never does any wrong and it’s the world that is wrong not me.

I think I need to go get some therapy

Nah he talked about it heaps and we all knew he was INCREDIBLE at it haha. And he was. He’s very good at placing himself in the maelstrom of confusion that the game provides. Like, you don’t actually always know who’s working with whom and to what degree. Tim is very good at using that to his advantage. Cuz if you don’t know who he is working with, then you don’t know if you can get him out if you put him up. Anyone that can do this is good at the game, and it’s a plus of being a middle player.
Sounds like he took us for a ride when he told us he downplayed it to make it sound insignificant then. 😂

I always thought that BB (Endemol or what ever its called) would have a fairly 'interesting' NDA (non-disclosure agreement) that HM's had to sign..
I find it quite shocking that you can't speak outside of the edit.. Wow, I thought at the most, you couldn't say anything until it has aired on TV, but not being able to speak of anything other than the edit is outrageous..
So even by saying, you didn't see what really happened or this wasn't shown etc is not permitted :oops:
Production are weaving a narrative and the NDA is meant to protect this. They don’t want housemates contradicting what they’re showing. Truth be damned! Storylines, like housemates, are not equal in this iteration. It sucks but it’s how it is.

Absolutely not. I mean, honestly, even if I do get to the end, there are hundreds of thousands of votes that are cast and so quite a niche message board like this maybe wouldn't make a huge dent? Not to downplay this message board, because you are all incredibly active in the community. Nah I joined because I saw Estelle and Tully having a great time interacting with you all and telling their stories and giving insights, and after last nights episode where my character was ripped to shreds, I am compelled to try and salvage my name, if possible.

Haha way to jump on and just drag us mate, just a “niche message board” … I’ll have you know … we are INFAMOUS in the BBAU community. 😂

Haha nah spot on, this place can be a little bit of an echo chamber at times and doesn’t always reflect the wider viewing audience. But we are at our core passionate BB fans so I think that’s why I wish more would come and interact here.

I get why you are here and support it! I’m all for hearing more context around what we see on the show.

You just gotta have a thick skin to be a HM and interact here, I think you’ll be fine ;)
Ive been wanting to answer this for AGES. So the reason Reggie wasnt evicted or put up had nothing to do with her being strategic or socially incredible. She is an AMAZING person, so full of laughter and fun and incredible banter, of course we all know that, but she was obviously voting out newbies in a game! I dont think it has been shown enough how caring and incredible all of the housemates were in regards to her being disabled with a sick child. We knew that she was in there for something bigger than herself; that shes a symbol of the Aussie battler, who has and is continuing to have it tough, and everyone wanted her to get further because the longer shes in the game, the more chance she has of getting her voice heard, getting support in the outside world, just all good things.

I think a lot of people that have been evicted should get kudos for not putting Reg in the firing line even though she was constantly a vote against them. The same situation happened with Dave, because he is such a good force in this world for his RuffTrack kids (check it out. if you havent already).

My goodness. I keep thinking I could not like you any more and then you come out with THIS. 😍😍 it’s bigger than the game and it’s just bloody beautiful! Reggie is a national treasure in so many aspects. The fact that you were aware and wanted to help give her a platform almost brings me to tears 🥲
That is exactly what made me come here! But not to repair a tarnished image, more so give context into it, because like I said in my first post, its hard when what is shown on screen is not nearly close to what happened.

I’m ok with this, not that it matters what I say or think, but as long as you’re not JUST crying victim of the edit. I love that your embracing the villain but also happy to chat and answer questions honestly. Huge props for that! Respect bro 👊🏽

This is very very kind of you bleachy! I am a HUGE survivor fan, and love the whole gameplay and strategy aspect of it all, but in the end, both BB and Survivor are SOCIAL games. And I knew that if I could make it past the first 2 weeks Id have a good chance of staying a while because my relationships arent explosive, i tend to them over time and get to know people deeply, because for me thats what life is about: relationships. I knew that if I had time to develop those relationships I would do well in the game, and it was fascinating for me to be able to bring. such a genuine love of people and characters into a game where youre trying to get as far in as you can. And like I said before, I am a goofball but I didnt really know it! Like its so nice to see yourself and how you interact in a show like this. In some ways, its a documentary about yourself, and for someone like me who is always trying to understand myself and why i do things, its giving me great insight into someone (me) i in some ways dont know a lot about haha! does that make sense?!
So had you applied for Survivor?
Would absolutely LOVE to see you play Survivor.

Tending relationships built over time, such a mature way to go into a social game. Dude … can we be friends!
😮 I’m coming back to this after the finale!

Hey fam,
Wanted to hop on here quickly to say a BIG thank you for all the comments- the good, the bad and the ugly.
I've been a faceless reader of this forum for literally years... I used to read this forum on the old home computer when I was still living at home!
I've always appreciated how much you guys love the show, your insight, your knowledge... the familiar usernames that pop up again and again over the years.
I know there are a few I will never win over but it's been SO nice to see a positive shift in people's opinions of me in here.
I hope you at least feel like you've seen a different side to me at least. We've all grown up together, in a weird way. I care more about all of your opinions than I do about some of my own friends and family! You guys really know your shit!
I've got a stack of interviews today but happy to answer any questions if you have them! Will check back in later today.
Appreciate all of you... yes, even @timmy and @Kingston. 😘
Tully you’re a bloody legend. You wear your heart on your sleeve, you play passionately and I hope this isn’t the last we see of you. I’m so glad you were in this cast! Please come back and play with us haha.

No the OGs talked constantly about their seasons. And for everyone,I know you may not like it, but Johnson does love big brother haha. Hes watched every episode and knows everyone and blah blah blah.

Fav season of. course i s 40! Fav player is SarahLacina.I fuckenLOVED the last season of survivor though wow. Sorry my keyboard is fucked
I feel like we need another category in between fan and superfan to satisfy some here. Like @Zcsund1234 let’s be honest, you’re more than just a superfan so it’s not fair to judge anyone’s fandom against you hahahaha. And that’s not being mean, I put myself in a similar category although I haven’t done a rewatch of every single season, I have watched every single episode ever and followed more than a casual viewer…. I just have a pretty poor memory, your memory is almost unrivalled.

I’ve joked about Johnson’s level of being a fan, but I do accept that he is probably a big fan of BBAU.

it’s funny because a lot of the OGs didn’t like the new format and didn’t understand it, other than tim of course. And so they didn’t go in with an attitude that it’s a game. So there was A LOT of pushback on people who played the game, and a lot of it was taken very personally. it was weird having us newbies idolise these people but also be confused as to why they were there if they don’t like the format so much?

I fully accept that I’m an armchair expert on this. But this is a HUGE thing that I wish didn’t really happen. Play the game hard, then afterwards shake hands and congratulate each other on a game well played and go on with your lives.

I really don’t like seeing the “fights” for want of a better term, carry over into post-show life.

I’ve been saying this with my friends who are watching this. We all love Estelle, but somehow we wish she could have taken the personal offence / emotion out of it sometimes. But then I remember that she is just being herself and that’s partly why I love watching her. It’s a tricky one for sure.

I just don’t like seeing people being accused of being immoral or whatever. It’s a game. BUT then, who’s to say that if I were playing the game I wouldn’t take offence to things and wrap my emotions around everything.

Gah! I love watching these shows, but could never play them myself.

Yeah totally. And since this version of Big Brother is so insanely simple in its story telling, it leaves NO ROOM for the complexities of strategies and relationships. Coupled with the fact that even with a nearly 90min run time we still dont get much insight into who the people are and I can see why you are all pissed off haha. Like today the question challenge was the first time that I personally thought we saw a bit of fun and insight into some people. Bloody oath though its few and far between
Yeah this is one of the biggest grips I have with Aus BB and Aus Survivor in that everything is edited so that a 10 year old can understand it instead of actually showing the complexities of the characters and strategies that they have. US and SA Survivor will always have an advantage over Aus because they are more willing to show way more sides of all the characters and more complex strategy. Still enjoy the Aus shows but with the pretty good cast this season especially, it could truly have been a super memorable season that will likely end up just being 'good' to me.

I feel like we need another category in between fan and superfan to satisfy some here.
yes i think there are degrees of fandom. I am enough of a fan to have been here for years, even when BB wasn't on, but yet there are a few seasons from channel seven and later channel 10 era I have not seen. So I would say I am more than a casual viewer but cannot call me a fan?

i think the producers played on the fact the OGs wouldnt skill up on the format??
He’s very good at placing himself in the maelstrom of confusion that the game provides. Like, you don’t actually always know who’s working with whom and to what degree. Tim is very good at using that to his advantage. Cuz if you don’t know who he is working with, then you don’t know if you can get him out if you put him up. Anyone that can do this is good at the game, and it’s a plus of being a middle player.
yeeesss hes good at placing a knowledge/fake bullshit bomb and walking away
actually I’m just a sad little dumb dumb who can’t be honest with themselves and never does any wrong and it’s the world that is wrong not me.

I think I need to go get some therapy
dw you're fine!! you have been put through the wringer of reality tv, and we're the consumers of it. i know i need a bit of therapy lol

Back