Skip to main content

BB21 Ratings Thread

Episode 5 - 3rd May 2021

Five City Metro - Total People

#13 - Big Brother Wed 552k (4th in its timeslot behind Lego on 796k, 7:30 on 618k and Masterchef on 607k)

#5 in the 25-54 demo (Lego at #2, Masterchef not in top 5)
#3 in the 18-49 demo (Lego at #2, Masterchef not in top 5)
#5 in the 16-39 demo (Lego at #2, Masterchef at #3)

Imagine watching "Lego Masters" after having access to Youtube for the past 15 years...

The numbers are okay when you consider that Channel 7 practically had a captive audience last year.
With the continued evolution of online services - I truly think that "free to air" TV is going the way of radio. I dont think that I know anyone under the age of 25 that actually watches free to air anymore.
I expect that it will remain around, mainly due to the deals that are done through sport - however, as we have seen more and more "reality" tv, the younger generation are moving to product that they choose by downloading.
I am watching less & less myself - with more viewing of youtube, Stan & Twitch.
It is interesting that they are choosing contestants that have social media followings, and seem to be trying to loop these followers back around and into watching.

With the continued evolution of online services - I truly think that "free to air" TV is going the way of radio. I dont think that I know anyone under the age of 25 that actually watches free to air anymore.
I expect that it will remain around, mainly due to the deals that are done through sport - however, as we have seen more and more "reality" tv, the younger generation are moving to product that they choose by downloading.
I am watching less & less myself - with more viewing of youtube, Stan & Twitch.
It is interesting that they are choosing contestants that have social media followings, and seem to be trying to loop these followers back around and into watching.
You are absolutely correct in your assessment, Connor!

I actually don't know anybody that has access to fta tv. Having a tv in itself isn't a necessity like it used to be, unless you're a gamer, have a large family or watch a lot of films. Everything is easily accessible on demand, and that suits my needs as I generally only watch a handful of shows a year.

I DO, however, subscribe to Amazon Prime, Netflix, Stan and Disney+. Also Hayu (don't @ me). I won't subscribe to Binge due to it being owned by the Murdochs and they can get FUCKED.

I tend to watch a lot more SBS On Demand and ABC iview than the paid services 🤡

When it's BB time I like to have a poke at what's on fta and the landscape is pretty bleak. Just brain dead current affairs and sad reality shows for boomers.

Oh and MAFS. I love watching drunk women fight so that's a given.

People want choice and commercial FTA in Australia just doesn't supply it. It's reality format after reality format on the three main channels for the entire year, running multiple nights and with ever increasing run times, pushing the shows that might pull an audience in at 8.30pm later and later until it got to the point they're pretty much out of the schedules.

In addition the pre-recorded nature of virtually all these shows now means there is no incentive to watch them live, and the demand on viewing in a world where streaming is a competitor is just too high. People might be able to spare half an hour or an hour a night to keep up, but an hour and a half is a big ask four nights a week, and if you miss a couple of episodes they soon start to pile up, unlike a show that runs for an hour a week.

I prefer watching stuff on DVD or on YouTube instead of FTA because I can control when and how I watch stuff.

I would like to think that with these ratings the team will do the right thing and look at ways to save the show next year. Because if they don’t fix it the show is only going to be cancelled and then that’s probably it for Big Brother in Australia.

* Big Brother needs to be live again.
* Take out all of the contrived stuff.
* Focus on conversations as well as the game play in the house and let us actually get to know who the housemates are.
* spread out evictions.
* Introduce Veto so viewers can root for their favourite housemates to save themselves.

They can test the live format out on the VIP Big Brother that is apparently coming later this year.

I think it is very clear this format of Big Brother isn’t working. Viewers are not resonating with it. They need to make some changes.

Last edited:
I actually don't know anybody that has access to fta tv.
I doubt that, since anyone with a smart phone has access to FTA tv. 🤨 that's how i watch me some good old fashioned MAFS, Love Island, Footy Classified, Judge Judy and a few other FTA shows on ABC iview and SBS on demand etc.

Speaking of Love Island, a third Aussie season is on it's way. To me it feels more like BB than the current reincarnation does.

Last edited:
The 7 executives might have a say, but the onus is still on Endemol to produce a good show.
Misleading. Seven executives don’t just “have a say” they are the final word when it comes to decision making. If they don’t like the way the show is edited... It’s changed. If they don’t like a potential HM.., They aren’t chosen. If Seven executives want something done... It’s done.

Misleading. Seven executives don’t just “have a say” they are the final word when it comes to decision making. If they don’t like the way the show is edited... It’s changed. If they don’t like a potential HM.., They aren’t chosen. If Seven executives want something done... It’s done.
Sure, but are the execs trying to polish a turd, or spiting a work of art? Because imo it’s still the former, as the product was fundamentally flawed from the start (although admittedly because of direction from 7).

Back