Skip to main content

BB21 Ratings Thread

Terrestrial viewing seems to be down for everyone this year, it’s interesting though they’re not harping on about their BVOD numbers this year like they were last year.

So far I’m actually liking the changes they’ve made from last season but it the episodes are dragging way too long. I wish Channel 7 would just get off their PC high horse and air racy content that actually divides viewers and provokes major fan reaction the same way MAFS does.

Big Brother doesn’t work as a format when it’s been filtered, people want fights and discourse, not TeAmWoRk and WhOlEsOmE mOmEnTs

I think the mistake is that Big Brother is something to chew over and enjoy, not fast food. It's never really been branded this way but in many ways it is the definition of "slow TV" - rush it and you miss the small moments and nuances which actually make it a much more enjoyable watch.

As said last year just splitting each eviction cycle over two episodes instead would give the format chance to breathe and viewers more chance to engage with it. Ending an episode with the Noms Challenge for example gives fans 24 hours to speculate over what happens next, who'll get nominated and who will get evicted. At the moment you just get a commercial break to do that, and the scramble after is so rushed and so deliberately misleading fans don't really engage with the eviction process and therefore don't particularly care.

I think the mistake is that Big Brother is something to chew over and enjoy, not fast food. It's never really been branded this way but in many ways it is the definition of "slow TV" - rush it and you miss the small moments and nuances which actually make it a much more enjoyable watch.

As said last year just splitting each eviction cycle over two episodes instead would give the format chance to breathe and viewers more chance to engage with it. Ending an episode with the Noms Challenge for example gives fans 24 hours to speculate over what happens next, who'll get nominated and who will get evicted. At the moment you just get a commercial break to do that, and the scramble after is so rushed and so deliberately misleading fans don't really engage with the eviction process and therefore don't particularly care.
I really hate the pre-eviction segment where Sonya questions them. It just seems completely at odds with the Big Brother we used to love. Leave that shit to Survivor.

Reactions: kxk
Episode 3 - 28th April 2021

Five City Metro - Total People

#11 - Big Brother Wed 558k

#2 in all demos behind Travel Guides
tumblr_lyvyci0NkL1qccx3xo1_250.gif

It seems to be doing okay, is that including people who watch it over the internet, like on 7Plus or whatever?

It seems to be doing okay, is that including people who watch it over the internet, like on 7Plus or whatever?

No, these ratings just include people who watched the show by 2 am on the same day the show aired.

I really hate the pre-eviction segment where Sonya questions them. It just seems completely at odds with the Big Brother we used to love. Leave that shit to Survivor.
I agree, I'd much rather just watch them scramble for votes for 5-10 minutes and then get straight to the vote. The eviction room is a waste of a room and is also just a waste of 20 minutes. The episode could be cut so much shorter without it, or even better yet we could see more personal content from the housemates.

It won't fall to 100k. If it stays above 500k Seven will be happy enough to put a brave face on it - that's probably their benchmark nowadays after a poor start to the year - and I'd be surprised if it dropped below 450k.

Still significantly lower than last year though, which didn't drop under 650k and was generally over 700k in the overnights, but we know it's been recommissioned for BBVIP and a third series.

Last edited:
TV Ratings in general have decreased a significant amount since 2019 alone. MAFS is down almost 33% on it's 2019 season, the amazing race and travel guides as well as goggle box are all down on previous and even Lego masters is almost 40% on 2019. Masterchef itself is also experiencing it's lowest ratings it's probably ever had, MAFS and I'm a Celeb are the only shows that rated decently well so far this year (Lego masters as well is going pretty decent). But overall numbers are lower, 1,000,000 is no longer as achievable as it once was and neither is 800,000. 600,000-700,000 seems to be the new magic number to win your time slot. If you're winning demos, performing well in the time slot and project an decent increase in timeshfiting numbers, then your'e doing well. We also don't know exactly yet how well it's doing on 7plus, there are a lot more factors to take into consideration rather than just overnight figures to really assess if it's doing well or if it's flopping.

558,000 LOL!

Even Travel Guides destroyed that.

Would be interesting to see the breakdown of the ratings by time. Like when were the ratings at their lowest? And when were they at their highest? And then maybe do it again but this time by demographic by demographic.

I defer all my ratings info to sav. He is the peer of the realm of ratings. I for one appreciate it but Im a bit dim in trying to understsand the specific demographics. So a big shout out to sav for helping a dimwit like me have somewhat of a better understanding..

Back