Skip to main content

BB21 Ratings Thread

Did they ever get the new ratings system implemented that includes live 7plus/iView/9now views ?

If I do watch any programs these days it's via streaming rather than FTA DTV broadcasts.

Yep. This is probably the best Big Brother is going to get. The old Big Brother will never come back. It's over. TV Executives don't think the old format would work. Obviously they know best. It's just better to accept mediocrity.
Reminds me of The Chaser's slogan: Striving for mediocrity in a world of excellence.

The fact the series is already rating almost less after just three episodes than it did in 2014 (and overall lower than it ever did on Channel 9 and 10) is HEAVEN.
Do you know of anywhere with ratings from the old series?

I assume the ratings for the Channel 10 years aren't available anywhere but maybe the 9 years?

People often have their radio switched on, and yet they are not actually listening to it. Same applies with the TV. I do wonder if many simply leave their TV running in the background just for the sound - even though they are not actually watching or listening to the TV. TV ratings is a rough guide to what's popular, but I wouldn't rely on the actual numbers as viewing numbers.

People often have their radio switched on, and yet they are not actually listening to it. Same applies with the TV. I do wonder if many simply leave their TV running in the background just for the sound - even though they are not actually watching or listening to the TV. TV ratings is a rough guide to what's popular, but I wouldn't rely on the actual numbers as viewing numbers.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure there are strict rules surrounding the households who own OzTAM boxes.

Only people with ratings boxes count towards the live ratings. Currently thats 5,250 households in Australian metro cities.

How it works is: When the TV in these homes is switched on, the meter lights up and asks who is watching. Viewers log in and out when they enter or leave the room and the meter gauges all TVs within the home. They are asked if they are still watching every 15 minutes or so.

Only people with ratings boxes count towards the live ratings. Currently thats 5,250 households in Australian metro cities.

How it works is: When the TV in these homes is switched on, the meter lights up and asks who is watching. Viewers log in and out when they enter or leave the room and the meter gauges all TVs within the home. They are asked if they are still watching every 15 minutes or so.
And then what happens? They just guestimate the ratings based off those households?

Do you have one of those rating boxes?

@Ryan_ You could try TV Tonight. Earliest I could find from a quick search there was from 2007 though: "Ratings for Big Brother last night dropped to a worrying 881,000".
Yeah. It’s a combination of Wikipedia and just knowing what the ratings were at the time the seasons first went to air.

It has never dropped this low nor this quickly (bar a handful of episodes that were shown on Go channel a few years ago, which I wouldn’t count for obvious reasons). Granted, viewing habits have changed across the board, but I can’t imagine Seven will be happy at all.

Kind of a shame that the ratings are down, cause this season is definitely an improvement compared to the garbage heap that was last year’s.

If only they had a strong launch season last year, maybe more of the loyal viewerbase would have stuck around for this year’s season.

Kind of a shame that the ratings are down, cause this season is definitely an improvement compared to the garbage heap that was last year’s.

If only they had a strong launch season last year, maybe more of the loyal viewerbase would have stuck around for this year’s season.
It’s exactly the same?? 😂

It’s exactly the same?? 😂
I have to disagree. It’s still basically the same format, but when comparing this year to last year’s, there were much more social interactions showcased in this year’s launch night, a lot less unnecessary cutting and less dramatic music, and more intriguing elements such as secret rooms hinted upon in the house, more housemate packages actually being introduced instead of getting completely skimmed over, and it featured somewhat of a public audience present at launch.

Last year’s launch night did not have the Big Brother feel.
This year’s launch night - although it can never be as good as the original, still brought in some elements from the Ten era. The reveal of special house secrets which was especially something Channel Ten was known to do well.

Back